Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 08:22 AM

vsalon closed today

Good for them... honoring and supporting action on climate change.

Hopefully 'commandcomm' won't see this and contribute here as well.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:25 AM

Specialized too. Shut down the site and offices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 09:30 AM
Classics Fan

Progress on this issue has been painfully slow. I work with a professor who has been teaching an MBA level course literally titled "Business & Climate Change" and he got the point last year that he didn't even offer it because there was just so little movement on the policy front - frustrating to be teaching the same concepts every year on the solutions to this challenge, and nothing changes.

He's back teaching it this year, but I share his frustration.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Progress on this issue has been painfully slow. I work with a professor who has been teaching an MBA level course literally titled "Business & Climate Change" and he got the point last year that he didn't even offer it because there was just so little movement on the policy front - frustrating to be teaching the same concepts every year on the solutions to this challenge, and nothing changes.

He's back teaching it this year, but I share his frustration.
I found this article on business and climate change yesterday, a good perspective beyond the shallow and stupid "does it exist and do humans contribute" debate that dominates popular media coverage. There are winners and losers, at least short term...
https://slate.com/business/2019/09/c...efighting.html
Old 09-20-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
Specialized too. Shut down the site and offices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But I bet those Taiwanese factories are still belching out the bikes and parts. No? Sorry to be the first fly in the ointment.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
But I bet those Taiwanese factories are still belching out the bikes and parts. No? Sorry to be the first fly in the ointment.
lol. so true though. asia most culpable by magnitudes. US and eu co2 emissions down consistently yoy as they become fully sedentary/service based econs. show me the carbon factories closed for business then get on with your signaling. climate change strikes are good for marketing depts. also they already promote cycling; preaching to the choir here.

developing countries must curb their co2 use and the multinat companies that benefit from their cheap labor must admit they are the main causes or the end will come much sooner than most realize. but yeah. marketing dept loves 'raising awareness'

Last edited by cinema; 09-20-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
An old Outside article popped up on my news feed about that very thing:
https://www.outsideonline.com/226172...-mountain-bike

Worth considering, but a painfully small piece of the pie, all things considered.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
lol. so true though. asia most culpable by magnitudes. US and eu co2 emissions down consistently yoy as they become fully sedentary/service based econs. show me the carbon factories closed for business then get on with your signaling. climate change strikes are good for marketing depts. also they already promote cycling; preaching to the choir here.
If they are making stuff for US consumption, doesn't that make the US culpable for those emissions?
Old 09-20-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftf View Post
If they are making stuff for US consumption, doesn't that make the US culpable for those emissions?
sure. so close down the factories for a few days. the us has always outsourced their pollution whether its to the blue collar town across the river or the developing country across the ocean.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
developing countries must curb their co2 use and the multinat companies that benefit from their cheap labor must admit they are the main causes or the end will come much sooner than most realize. but yeah. marketing dept loves 'raising awareness'
That's just not true:

Quote:
The top three greenhouse gas emitters— China, the European Union and the United States—contribute more than half of total global emissions, while the bottom 100 countries only account for 3.5 percent.1 Collectively, the top 10 emitters account for nearly three-quarters of global emissions. The world can’t successfully tackle the climate change challenge without significant action from these countries.

https://www.wri.org/blog/2017/04/int...theyve-changed
Old 09-20-2019, 11:55 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftf View Post
For a seemingly simple statement, there are some really deep ideas there.

If there were a price on emissions, then it doesn't matter who is culpable. The consumer would pay the pass through price and the incentives would be there to reduce emissions.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:57 AM

Who is responsible for what and who is or is not doing whatever misses the point. "It" is real. "It" is, more probably than not, going to materially adversely affect everyone on the planet. Not only has the United States of America totally abdicated its role in world affairs, but the official position of the government of the United States of America is, in essence, that "it" isn't real and that not only do we not need to do anything about "it," but what in fact we need to be doing is precisely what we have been doing for the past hundred or more years, only on steroids. Good on vsalon for doing something about raising awareness because, crazy as it is, awareness is currently what we are stuck on.

Last edited by PQJ; 09-20-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post

is there more recent data? as far as I know nothing I said is wrong nor does your article refute it. the us and eu continue to lower co2 emissions. I never said they weren't the highest after Asia, simply that Asia is increasing while us and eu are lowering in general yoy. https://www.statista.com/chart/8003/...ions-compared/. of course I'm including India with Asia.

Last edited by cinema; 09-20-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
Who is responsible for what and who is or is not doing whatever misses the point. "It" is real. "It" is, more probably than not, going to materially adversely affect everyone on the planet. Not only has the United States of America totally abdicated its role in world affairs, but the official position of the government of the United States of America is, in essence, that "it" isn't real and that not only do we not need to do anything about "it," but what in fact we need to be doing is precisely what we have been doing for the past hundred or more years, only on steroids. Good on vsalon for doing something about raising awareness because, crazy as it is, awareness is currently what we are stuck on.
I agree and blame is nebulous and an illusion because we are all implicated. I don't think closing your website for a day does anything more than net you brownie points (spec not salon, salon isn't really a business). salon is a forum of public opinion and it's their job to do things like that. even as cyclists we can make small improvements day by day in our community; this year I finally got a trailer and instead of firing up the car every time I want to go to the grocery I'll just ride the surly with my bob. local pollution causes asthma, lower iq, poverty and environmental damage just as global pollution does.

short trips in particular are bad for the local environment, as cars can take as long as 20 minutes to warm up the several o2 sensors required by law to reduce emissions. driving on a cold engine around town dumps a much greater amount of fuel into the engine.

Last edited by cinema; 09-20-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
The deniers will never be convinced otherwise though. They are trenched in real good. So it does seem like it's awareness for the sake of those who are aware. And really what this action does is put the deniers in even deeper, the back fire affect. But if it does manage to bring a few over who are on the fence then it's a good thing.
Closed Thread