Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 06:20 AM

Anyone drilled a carbon frame for Di2?

asking for a friend.........................

Thinking of trying on a cheap frame, won't devastate me if I ruin it...

Think I need a hole by the head tube or top of down tube, and a hole on the chainstay in front of rear derailleur.

Specific type/size of drill bit? Drill slow like sanding through, or the opposite, fast drill bit??

Thx!
Old 09-20-2019, 06:31 AM

Yes.
Cervelo S3, the first year model. I enlarged a couple of the existing cable entry holes in the top tube, and the relatively large hole under the bb to stuff in the junction box. It was totally fine for the next 3-4 years of heavy racing and riding. The bike was subsequently broken in a crash, but the holes I made remained perfect.

The big caveats: that frame was designed to have those holes in it, and I merely enlarged them a small percentage. That frame was also very well made by people who know composites, use high quality materials and know where is needs to be in the layup. I can't speak for the manufacturer of your "cheap frame" so YMMV.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:35 AM

Just had a Parlee Z3 drilled for a single hole at the back of the seat tube to run and internal battery. I was going to keep it fully external but my LBS pal said the internal battery makes the whole system much more customizable.

You know shimano makes special wire cover tape too? I didn't until I saw it on a bike the other day. Might not be perfect for your application but would allow you to try Di2 on the bike before committing to drilling holes. If you do decide to go the drill route shimano makes special routing grommets as well. I think what you would really want to do is use a dremel with a tapered grinding stone as opposed to a drill. Plenty of youtube videos by unqualified experts like myself showing what to do.

Wow, I really sound like a shimano shill.

Last edited by Hank Scorpio; 09-20-2019 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
Just had a Parlee Z3 drilled for a single hole at the back of the seat tube to run and internal battery. I was going to keep it fully external but my LBS pal said the internal battery makes the whole system much more customizable.

You know shimano makes special wire cover tape too? I didn't until I saw it on a bike the other day. Might not be perfect for your application but would allow you to try Di2 on the bike before committing to drilling holes. If you do decide to go the drill route shimano makes special routing grommets as well. I think what you would really want to do is use a dremel with a tapered grinding stone as opposed to a drill. Plenty of youtube videos by unqualified experts like myself showing what to do.

Wow, I really sound like a shimano shill.
Thanks, I will check out the dremel option! I'd rather keep things internal, and already have an internal battery and junction boxes required.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:49 AM

A Cervelo S2 wasn’t drilled by factory for Di2, but Cervelo released factory approved instructions on how to drill the frame, so it’s probably fine for other frames.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
A Cervelo S2 wasn’t drilled by factory for Di2, but Cervelo released factory approved instructions on how to drill the frame, so it’s probably fine for other frames.

Yep, I remember reading that paper. But as the other poster mentioned, I believe the guide was how to enlarge already existing holes, not to try to drill new ones.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:54 AM

Anyone drilled a carbon frame for Di2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Yep, I remember reading that paper. But as the other poster mentioned, I believe the guide was how to enlarge already existing holes, not to try to drill new ones.

No...I had one, it was for the S2 which had no existing holes for Di2.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:56 AM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
External Wiring Tape

I have had it on a Ti frame for about 6 years
Still as good as first day,
Not very noticeable but the external battery

QUOTE=Hank Scorpio;2596613]Just had a Parlee Z3 drilled for a single hole at the back of the seat tube to run and internal battery. I was going to keep it fully external but my LBS pal said the internal battery makes the whole system much more customizable.

Wow, I really sound like a shimano shill.[/QUOTE]
SN# HC-54-265
Old 09-20-2019, 07:01 AM

I've enlarged existing holes on carbon. I'm not adventurous enough to try to make new holes in any material.

I will second the external option. I did it on our Paketa tandem. Well worth the 12 bucks or whatever it costs to get the taped on channels from Shimano. I've got internal and semi internal bikes. I wouldn't mess around next time, just keep it outside.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:27 AM

I did this to an Orbea for a friend. Only in the bb area, ran the wires external with tape to bb, then to internal battery, and back out to derailleurs. Did do a small seatube hole for the fd wire. The Orbea had a reinforcing sleeve in the bb so no worries.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
Yes.
Cervelo S3, the first year model. I enlarged a couple of the existing cable entry holes in the top tube, and the relatively large hole under the bb to stuff in the junction box. It was totally fine for the next 3-4 years of heavy racing and riding. The bike was subsequently broken in a crash, but the holes I made remained perfect.

The big caveats: that frame was designed to have those holes in it, and I merely enlarged them a small percentage. That frame was also very well made by people who know composites, use high quality materials and know where is needs to be in the layup. I can't speak for the manufacturer of your "cheap frame" so YMMV.
Quoting my own post to add that I did not use a drill; I used a file (and maybe a dremel?) to enlarge the holes.
BTW, here are Cervélo's instructions.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:56 AM

I wouldn't have any problems doing this, for the most part. probably depends on the bike though, and you may not be able to do it fully internal. for example: pop the rivets out of a cable guide and use that hole, enlarge if needed. then maybe enlarge the hole from the (no longer needed) cable guide under the BB and route RD wire along the drive side chain stay.

I actually was under the impression that it was a fairly common thing for shops to do for you.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:08 AM

Definitely not as pretty but shimano makes an under bb junction box too. My current conundrum is wether or not to sand off the downtube cable guides.

Sm-jc40

Last edited by Hank Scorpio; 09-20-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
Definitely not as pretty but shimano makes an under bb junction box too. My current conundrum is wether or not to sand off the downtube cable guides.

Sm-jc40
That is what I used when converting my externally cable routed SS EVO to Di2. I used that under BB Junction along with a nut and bolt to secure it (since the under BB cable guide is a pop fit plastic piece and not threaded/riveted like metal ones). Used rubber washers/shims to protect the carbon surfaces from bare metal.

I routed the cables such that both the FD and Battery wires both come out of the FD cable hole that is just behind the BB (using external battery...but could easily just use an internal and route a longer cable through the seat tube instead if I wanted).

I used those shimano Di2 cable tape to kind of "hide" it since my frame is black and it isn't easy to spot right away. Ran 1 long cable from the Junction A to the under BB and then routed every else from the under BB Junction B. The cable tape is on the downtube and the chainstay to the RD.

Here are a few shots of the that Junction B setup I have:

Finished product with the shimano cable tape (it is hard to see it unless you really look).

Old 09-20-2019, 10:33 AM

I personally wouldn't hesitate to drill some holes in a frame. I'd want to make sure they holes clean and that I didn't delaminate the surrounding carbon when I was drilling. I'd probably want to find some scrap piece of carbon to flush out my technique.

But then again, I'm just a crazy stranger on the internet, so I probably wouldn't trust me.