Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2024, 05:43 PM

Fixed gear question - descending

I've been riding my track bike on the road lately and have a question about controlling speed on descends.

If I put a larger gear on, such as a 48 x 15, will it be easier to control doqnhill speed vs a 48x18?

I have a nice closed loop to ride on, but no matter which way I go i need to descend a hill on the way out. I can likely climb the hills in a bigger gear, so the change won't impact that part of the ride.
Old 08-17-2024, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I've been riding my track bike on the road lately and have a question about controlling speed on descends.

If I put a larger gear on, such as a 48 x 15, will it be easier to control doqnhill speed vs a 48x18?

I have a nice closed loop to ride on, but no matter which way I go i need to descend a hill on the way out. I can likely climb the hills in a bigger gear, so the change won't impact that part of the ride.

Pedalling backwards is going to be the same as pedalling forwards, no, a smaller gear easier to stop or slow down.
Old 08-17-2024, 06:33 PM

Unless the downhill is very gradual, I would say 'no' it won't make that much difference.

You will still need to control your speed with your legs. The gearing change will change how fast you are going when you have to control the speed with your legs, but it doesn't remove that aspect of descending on a fixed gear.

...unless it is a gradual downhill and you can use the different gear to more easily spin down the hill without a crazy high cadence, or using your legs to control the speed.

When I used to ride a fixed gear in very hilly terrain, my knees couldn't take the pressure required to control the speed on the downhills (usually steep and/or long). So I just threw a rear brake on it. I realize that doing this may have kept me from being admitted to the cool kids club in 1988.
Old 08-17-2024, 06:48 PM

I find it significantly easier to control speed while going down hill with a bigger gear (48x15 in your case), because you won't spin out as quickly. Your legs won't be moving as fast, so you'll be able to hop the back wheel easier (my preferred method for slowing down on a brakeless fixed gear), or skid, to control speed.
Old 08-17-2024, 08:04 PM
Byron

I ride fixed with front and back brakes available.
On steep or long descents, I'll use the brakes or unclip to let it fly.
I let it fly in very low traffic/good visibility situations.
I had one partial knee replacement over ten years ago.
I don't want to put unnecessary stress on either knee.
Experiment, and do what works for yourself.
Good luck.
Old 08-17-2024, 08:05 PM

Smaller ratio, easier to spin up or spin down. But, control on a hill depends. If you're dealing with a steep gradient where your cadence is up, it's a different challenge to spin down when your legs are spinning full tilt compared to a larger ratio. Best bet? Use a break to control speed.

Not much benefit to trying to regulate speed solely with your legs resisting pedal stroke. Could throw in skips or skids to control speed but this 1) requires requisite skill & control and 2) chews up tires pointlessly.
Old 08-17-2024, 08:27 PM

Think I may add a front brake and cheap tires to the bike next year for outdoor riding.

Thanks for the advice. .
Old 08-17-2024, 08:36 PM
n - 1

Steep and long descents is one thing I don’t miss about my days of fixed riding.
Worst was Little Cottonwood Canyon in Utah. 4K feet in 8 miles. I only had a front brake and was trying my best not to cook it.
If I build another fixed gear, I’ll put on front and rear brakes.
Old 08-17-2024, 08:37 PM
Pack fill

I ride a fixed gear about once a week and my bike has front and back brakes. The roads are not traffic free and you just never know what might pop out in front of you. Plus I find if don't start to control your speed at the beginning of a descent it just might get away from you. Don't ask how I know.
Old 08-17-2024, 08:40 PM
Hrmm

I think a taller gear would be harder to control on the descents because it has a lower mechanical advantage; if its hard to get going from a stop, its gonna be equally as hard to scrub speed on a steep downhill.

After a certain speed on any particular gear, backpedaling tends to have a smaller effect and skipping or skidding feels a bit more sketchy but I'm no MASH hill bomber.

Most times, I'm avoid big hills for the descent rather than the climb. A brake is probably the best bet.
Old 08-17-2024, 10:10 PM

Another vote for a front brake. Chains occasionally break, or can get thrown. How do you stop on a brakeless fixie then?
Old 08-17-2024, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keevon View Post
How do you stop on a brakeless fixie then?
With your foot on the tire. Not fun. I also used a front brake with my fixed gear — nice insurance policy and easier on the knees.
Old 08-18-2024, 01:53 AM

A larger gear will allow you to use a lower cadence. That can help control leg actuation in some respects, but it will *increase* the backforce required to slow your movement.

If you're descending on a road and want to prevent yourself from increasing speed, use a brake. If you don't have brakes, add them, with especially high priority on the front brake (in most conditions it will substantially reduce your braking distance regardless of how good your fixie technique is).
Old 08-18-2024, 08:12 AM

Add a front brake. You can still use your legs to control speed, but you really want/need a brake to be safe on the road
Old 08-18-2024, 09:09 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Add a front brake. You can still use your legs to control speed, but you really want/need a brake to be safe on the road
This is my thought as well. On public roads anything can happen and we have a responsibility to be safe to others (wildlife, pets, people) and to ourselves.