Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2006, 07:43 AM

Another question

Thanks for all your responses.

Next question... do you think $2000 is a reasonable price for a '00 Hors Categorie w/full 9-spd. Dura Ace and Dura Ace wheels? It has low miles & looks to be in great condition. I'd pay someone like Zinn to cut off the HT extension...
Old 10-20-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
A hacksaw wont cut it with Titanium though , I think you'll need a special blade and some power behind that force. Go see Lenard Zinn , he's in your neck of the woods .
Actually...... I beg to differ. A standard hack saw blade will go through it just fine. Titanium tends to gall (ball up and get gooey) but it cuts fine. Use a course blade and have at it. For most folks the hard part will be finding a way to hold the bike tightly enough so it doesn't move all over the place when doing the cutting. If held rigidly it will be fine. Back in the early days at Serotta we were worried about how we might be able to cut this "high tech" material. In the end we used the same exact cutters and blades as we had used on steel for all those years. Funny stuff.

Making a straight cut can be a tad tricky. Two things will help. One is to take some tape....masking tape works fine and lightly wrap it around the tube using the edge of the tape to mark the cut line. So when you cut you just follow the tape line. Secondly ....go slow.

Dave
Old 10-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Give me a few peanuts and it's done.

William
Old 11-04-2006, 09:57 PM

Schwab Cycles in Denver said they'd do it for about $35, so the bike is at the shop now. There are many great shops in the city, but I always know exactly who is working on my bike at Schwab -- and they do excellent work. I don't know why I didn't just call them first.

I called Lennard Zinn -- he is too busy building bikes. I called other places -- some people don't even know what a headtube extension is -- stay away from my bike. Other places didn't know how or didn't want the liability.

Anyway, I'll have pix and a ride report soon.