Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2024, 11:41 AM
Formerly rchman

Rim Brake Shifter/Brake Combination for Maximum Pad Clearance

Kind of an odd question but given that I specc'd my English with an under BB brake and low and behold, it rubs out of the saddle (yeah, my fault), I'm wondering if there is a certain shifter and brake combination that allows the pads to be run even further out while still being able to brake?

Currently running eTap with an ee DM brake. Curious if switching to Shimano would allow me to run the pads even further out? What about if I add extra spacers to the brakes, would that change the curve of the caliper (assuming it varies)?

Thoughts or suggestions?

ETA: bike photo cause everything is better with a photo, right?

Old 05-02-2024, 11:50 AM

The trade off is always in the mechanical ratio — more clearance —> more travel required —> lower leverage —> more hand force required to brake. You can go all the way to single-pivot calipers!.. I often use old school brakes with a 4:1 total pull ratio and stop ok, but we don’t have harrowing descents where I live. I suppose TdF racers of old using such brakes were still able to come to a near-stop right before a hairpin turn on an alpine descent, but perhaps they were stronger of grip than we are today?..

(Excuse me while I head back to the closet to retrieve my hair shirt…)
Old 05-02-2024, 12:28 PM

What about a different solution: beefier quick release? I wonder if that might solve the issue. Maybe try a steel Shimano on there to see.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:39 PM

Just stop putting so many watts down and it'll be fine.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:43 PM

Shimano recently changed their cable travel to better match the higher leverage of Direct Mount brakes, but the difference might be too small to prevent pad rub.

Instead, maybe consider trying the Bontrager Speed Stop Direct Mount brakes, which have a leverage adjustment to match the caliper to the lever. As Pastashop says, reducing the leverage will increase the pad clearance.

Bontrager Speed Stop brakes come in two versions:

Standard Speed Stop:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...black_greydark

Ultra-light Speed Stop Pro:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...liper/p/30897/
Old 05-02-2024, 12:52 PM

I think we all need to see more photos of that bike.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:53 PM
n - 1

How bad is the rubbing? Are you racing?

I don’t race. I’d probably just leave it be and live with the slight rub when out of the saddle. I live in the Rockies and wouldn’t want to give up any mechanical leverage on the descents.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:55 PM

Wonder if using something like a "travel agent" could work by changing cable pull in the system allowing you to run the brakes open a bit more then having them close quickly. Can't see if you have a spot to mount one.

Hopefully this make sense?
Old 05-02-2024, 01:01 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Wonder if using something like a "travel agent" could work by changing cable pull in the system allowing you to run the brakes open a bit more then having them close quickly. Can't see if you have a spot to mount one.

Hopefully this make sense?
Oof. I’m not a vain person, in my opinion but the day I consider putting that hideousness on an English……
Old 05-02-2024, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Oof. I’m not a vain person, in my opinion but the day I consider putting that hideousness on an English……
I would agree, but it is a solution, just not a good looking one.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Shimano recently changed their cable travel to better match the higher leverage of Direct Mount brakes, but the difference might be too small to prevent pad rub.

Instead, maybe consider trying the Bontrager Speed Stop Direct Mount brakes, which have a leverage adjustment to match the caliper to the lever. As Pastashop says, reducing the leverage will increase the pad clearance.

Bontrager Speed Stop brakes come in two versions:

Standard Speed Stop:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...black_greydark

Ultra-light Speed Stop Pro:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...liper/p/30897/

The speed stop pro can be had for a pretty good price.
Here

But I don't think it works for this style of mounting iirc, but I may be incorrect.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
i think we all need to see more photos of that bike.
100%.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:44 PM

Have you tried the SwissStop Flash Prince EVO pads?
They're the version that are a bit thinner for wide rims and give you a mm or two of clearance on each side. Haven't used them for rub, but they bought me the width to run my XXX2 rims with G2 eeBrakes
Old 05-02-2024, 02:48 PM
Formerly rchman

It only rubs out of the saddle. It is not a performance concern but I'm noise sensitive so it's annoying AF. Carbon wheels with textured brake tracks and my HED Ardennes Black both make noise. My regular Hed Belgium don't. I'm sure they rub too but they rub silently so ignorance is bliss. But, black wheels look cooler so here I am.

Bontrager speed stop won't work because of the cable exit below the BB placement. What happens with SRAM levers and Shimano brakes? Isn't that the combo where the whole lever travel barely moves the calipers so the calipers have to be super close? If so, shouldn't the opposite be true?

It's a rear brake and while I live in very hilly terrain, I'm fine with my rear brake being diminished in function as long as it's somewhat workable.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:14 PM

So this is a dumb idea, but have you considered sanding off a mm or two of each pad? I live in a hilly area and rear brake pads last forever in my use.

Also, I'm guessing that the brakes are open as far as they can go and you've already purchased the most low-profile pad holders you can find.