Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2018, 10:25 PM

Meld Saddles?

Custom built saddles. $250 to start. Anyone try one?
https://www.meld3d.com/
Old 01-24-2018, 10:40 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Would one get better results if "3. You take an impression of your posterior" were done in a position that more closely resembled your riding stance?
Old 01-24-2018, 11:31 PM

I have a friend with one and he says it's the best saddle he's ever used. He's an experiences racer and coach, not a couch potato, therefore his word is good for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 02:29 PM

After years of trying and getting close, I think I'm going to try a Meld saddle. Any additional feedback or experiences?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:22 PM

Oh f... saddles.... finally somebody came up with a custom made one.

I have really close saddles but nothing super perfect. For 250 looks like super steep but maybe is not.

Honestly I been really close to just grab my fav saddle, remove the cover and start carving it little by little till get it right.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:13 AM

I’ve got one, bottom line: I like it. A few additional thoughts:

- the overall process was fast and seamless.
- you REALLY need to know what sort of saddle shape works for you as the combination of choices (width, length, shape, slit, etc) is pretty overwhelming.
- the saddle is basically a shell with a very thin layer of padding. I even got the “extra” padding and it’s still very thin. In practice this is fine as the shell is what provides the flex/cushioning but the saddle does feel a bit “hard” at times on a long ride (100+ miles) - sort of like when you sit on a wooden bench for a long period of time. I don’t have a lot of “meat” over my sit bones though so YMMV.
- I have a slight leg length discrepancy and my sit bones have a different shape L/R, this is reflected in the saddle. The left side is somewhat different than the right just under the sit bones. I’ve noticed the same effect when I’ve used leather saddles (Brooks, Berthoud) in the past after I’ve broken them in.
- with other saddles, I typically use some form of chamois cream for rides > 100 miles, failing to do so invariably results in some discomfort (saddle sores, chafing, both). I’ve done 300K on the Meld (my longest ride on it thus far) sans chamois cream with no ill effects.
- like all saddles, TINY differences in seat angle/fore-aft positioning matter. It took quite a while to get it exactly in the right place but once there it’s perfect.
- as you might expect, there’s “the spot” where your sit bones are supposed to be and sitting elsewhere for any length of time won’t be comfortable. This might be an issue for those who like to move around on their saddles a lot or possibly for long, multi-day rides e.g., a 1200K brevet. As I said, my longest ride thus far has been 300K so I’m curious to see how it’ll perform on a longer ride.
- it’s expensive enough (and I’m cheap enough) that I doubt I’ll retrofit all my bikes with one but I am pondering getting one or two more for bikes that I generally use for longer rides.

Greg
Old 03-20-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Would one get better results if "3. You take an impression of your posterior" were done in a position that more closely resembled your riding stance?
This is Meld's response to this question...
https://www.facebook.com/meld3d/posts/599520233742174

TL;DR: To summarize: minimal reliance on physical foam shaping (sitting upright rather than adopting on-the-bike postures and positions), and instead primarily using software to shape the model, provided great flexibility with regards to model shaping and significantly reduced the number of user-error occurrences.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:13 PM

To anyone uncomfortable, with some tools and/or desire.

re: Ultraman --[QUOTE]Honestly I been really close to just grab my fav saddle, remove the cover and start carving it little by little till get it right./QUOTE]

I HIGHLY recommend this.

1)Start with the model you've been most comfortable with and begin tweaking it. Ebay is a great place to find inexpensive worn/torn (not bent!) examples to experiment with. You'll replace the cover anyway.

2)Install saddle on an extra seatpost and clamp in home work stand.

3)Use a heat gun to soften the contact cement holding the leather cover to the foam and it should peel off fairly easily. Hold edge of leather w/pliers and don't rush it. If the glue isn't soft enough it will pull off chunks of foam.

4)Think about *where you hurt and why*. Mark your alterations on the foam w/ a Sharpie and use a rotary tool with a little sanding drum to shape it. A spiral cutter or burr in the rotary tool will take care of the plastic base if that needs modification too. Make sure the rails remain adequately supported for your weight!!!!

5)I think the trickiest part is re-covering the saddle once you've found the right shape/features but it really just comes down to some practice and patience (or pay one of the Paceline tape/saddle sponsors to do it???). Pick some thin leather/synthetic that you like that seems durable and lightly coat foam and leather with contact cement/3M spray adhesive. Working in sections takes a little longer but helps prevent unwanted "stuck" areas and wrinkles --because contact cement. After tugging, smoothing, wrapping curves, and trimming some excess you might just be able to put the saddle search to bed once and for all...

Last edited by bshell; 03-20-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
I’ve got one, bottom line: I like it. A few additional thoughts:

- the overall process was fast and seamless.
- you REALLY need to know what sort of saddle shape works for you as the combination of choices (width, length, shape, slit, etc) is pretty overwhelming.
- the saddle is basically a shell with a very thin layer of padding. I even got the “extra” padding and it’s still very thin. In practice this is fine as the shell is what provides the flex/cushioning but the saddle does feel a bit “hard” at times on a long ride (100+ miles) - sort of like when you sit on a wooden bench for a long period of time. I don’t have a lot of “meat” over my sit bones though so YMMV.
- I have a slight leg length discrepancy and my sit bones have a different shape L/R, this is reflected in the saddle. The left side is somewhat different than the right just under the sit bones. I’ve noticed the same effect when I’ve used leather saddles (Brooks, Berthoud) in the past after I’ve broken them in.
- with other saddles, I typically use some form of chamois cream for rides > 100 miles, failing to do so invariably results in some discomfort (saddle sores, chafing, both). I’ve done 300K on the Meld (my longest ride on it thus far) sans chamois cream with no ill effects.
- like all saddles, TINY differences in seat angle/fore-aft positioning matter. It took quite a while to get it exactly in the right place but once there it’s perfect.
- as you might expect, there’s “the spot” where your sit bones are supposed to be and sitting elsewhere for any length of time won’t be comfortable. This might be an issue for those who like to move around on their saddles a lot or possibly for long, multi-day rides e.g., a 1200K brevet. As I said, my longest ride thus far has been 300K so I’m curious to see how it’ll perform on a longer ride.
- it’s expensive enough (and I’m cheap enough) that I doubt I’ll retrofit all my bikes with one but I am pondering getting one or two more for bikes that I generally use for longer rides.

Greg
Hey Greg, thanks for posting your thoughts! I've been looking at the dashboard and parameters for a while and wanted to ask someone who tried it:

-- Did you get the saddle right the first time? If not, how was the replacement process?
-- Is the default generated saddle width 2cm wider than sitbone width? I.e. it's automatically adjusted?
-- By saddle shape, you're referring to the 2d outline right? The one that's just a template and we should be able to pick any of them? Have you found any significant differences between two different outlines?
-- Are you using the Alps shell, the more flexible one intended for ultra-long distance cycling?
-- Are you using metal or carbon rails? What's the difference in terms of feel?
-- I believe the saddle is made symmetrical, there's a parameter for that (side to mirror). Do you have a shim on the shorter leg?

Thanks for any help!
Linda
Old 03-20-2018, 02:54 PM

Hi Linda,

Not sure how helpful my answers are going to be since I’m operating from a sample size of one but here goes:

- got it first try so no experience with the replacement process.
- yes, it’s automatically adjusted to sit bone width
- yes, the 2D outline. Since I’ve only got one I can’t comment to the difference in outline.
- yes, I’m using the Alps shell.
- carbon rails. Again, can’t compare apples to apples of Meld/carbon vs Meld/metal rails but the rails are very stiff. Most of the flex with a carbon rail saddle (any brand) comes from the saddle, not the rails so the Meld compares well with other carbon railed saddles I have.
- Yes, I have a shim for the shorter leg. My LLD is 8mm and I use a 6mm shim and a slight difference in cleat position to accommodate the difference. I think the difference in each side of the saddle (I did not choose the mirror option) is down to the difference in my sit bones rather than the LLD.

Hope this helps.

Greg
Old 03-21-2018, 12:06 PM

Thanks Greg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
- Yes, I have a shim for the shorter leg. My LLD is 8mm and I use a 6mm shim and a slight difference in cleat position to accommodate the difference. I think the difference in each side of the saddle (I did not choose the mirror option) is down to the difference in my sit bones rather than the LLD.
I think Meld saddles are symmetrical (there's a default side to mirror) to account for natural bias. From the FB link Makoti pointed to:

"Relying on software instead reaped other benefits as well. We have a great deal of control over model shaping, which came in useful when we learned about natural bias. Natural bias basically means we tend to lean to one side due to the way we habitually use our muscles, and it (usually) isn't because our skeletal structure is asymmetrical. We use software to correct the imprint asymmetry that's due to natural bias. This ensures that our body is properly supported while pedaling."

It looks like they have been working on asymmetric saddles for those with different sitbone sizes: https://www.facebook.com/meld3d/posts/622104171483780

I'm also interested in how the saddle provides support for the rami. I usually ride with rotated hips, unless climbing (upright). I find it really helps distribute the pressure around. I'm thinking of choosing the mid movement fore/aft option to help with that.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:20 PM

Wow.. !!!