Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 04:27 PM

Just get the CDI and be done with it. It is excellent.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Yah seems like a lot of factors involved.
Yeah who knows.

That said for cars I use precision instruments split beam torque wrenches and would recommend them over beam or spring in handle type wrenches. I don’t know if they make a torque wrench with a low enough range for bikes however.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:49 PM
Vendor

I recently broke down and got the Effetto Mariposa. I have big Craftsman beam type for things like square taper cranks. Previously, I was using a small Park beam type for little bolts. I liked that the beam types don't require calibration and can be bumped around. What I didn't like is that it can be difficult to see the readings when the bolts are upside down and in different orientations. What I like about the Effetto especially is the big range. I think it's from 2Nm to 16Nm. I was looking at the CDI, but the range tops out at 8Nm. Some of the torque specs for my full suspension bike are higher than 8Nm. I read a review of the Effetto where it said something like it can go many thousands of clicks before requiring re-calibration and for the home mechanic would probably last a lifetime without needing re-calibration. The tool itself feels quality. That's disappointing to hear about the quality of the finish on the bits. So far, mine seem fine but I haven't had it very long. The long extended bits have come in handy. I also wish the tool roll it comes with was nicer. It looks good at first glance, but sometimes when inserting the tool and other bits back into the pockets, the edges will get caught on the edges of fabric. I can already see mine start to delaminate a little.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:38 PM

I use a Pedro’s wrench (up to 14 nm) for workshop, tried Park variable wrench (https://www.parktool.com/product/adj...Torque%20Tools) for travel and works well
Old 03-23-2018, 08:23 PM

I have a fairly decent number of various torque wrenchs, including a couple of the electronic torque adapters that I have used to calibrate my collection. For bikes, I tried a few, wound up sending them back for a variety of reasons. Eventually tried a t-handle TPMS torque wrench built by powerbuilt. I bought it directly from them, you get a discount code when you sign up on their website and shipping was free. Here’s the same on Amazon, I think I wound up paying close to $40.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-T-.../dp/B00X6DJOIC

It is surprisingly accurate, at least the one I got is. Bought a set of 1/4 hex sockets, but also use it with Phillips bits for speedplay cleats using an adapter.

Last edited by Jmq4; 03-23-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:35 AM

I didn't look to see if anyone recommend this yet but check out McMaster #5718a44. Comes with calibration certificate.i think it is a lower grade Snap On wrench. I like mine.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:00 AM

I just picked up the PRO torque wrench from Excel sports, on sale for $83 down from $139. Free shipping.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendonk View Post
I just picked up the PRO torque wrench from Excel sports, on sale for $83 down from $139. Free shipping.
This is what I use. Reliable and very good quality. Great price.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:08 AM
n - 1

Bumping this up. I've been using a Harbor Freight TQ wrench. Not the best. On a couple of occasions, it would not click no matter how much I tightened. Then it happened again last night tightening a stem. Luckily, no parts were broken, but it will most likely go in the garbage.

Anyone used this beam style? Gotta be better than the palm print or two finger method.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFGN53Y...detail_1?psc=1