Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2024, 05:56 AM

Offset Center rims include:

Velocity A23 OC

DT Swiss RR 411

I'm sure there are others. They are not just available in lightweight road style rims but even ATB versions. Check the manufacturers above, and others, for options.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
I've got a set of hubs (Suzue Classica) whose rear hub has pretty dramatically different flange-to-center distances between left and right. When I feed the data into Edd, I get a crazy small left/right tension ratio, something like 41%. In contrast, old Campy Nuovo Record low flange hubs yield a 58% ratio.

One way I can try to move the tension more toward 100% is to reduce the number of crosses on the left side, so 3x on the right, 2x or even 1x on the left. I'd like to get a decent estimate of the resulting tension ratio. Is this something which is easily calculated? Edd doesn't support different number of spoke crossings left v right. Are there online spoke calculators which do? Maybe just a simple formula involving spoke lengths?
Left hand spokes need to 'support' the right side regardless of lacings. 2x or 1x or even radial won't really make a difference.

DT spoke calc along with others will let you change lacings left and right for spoke calc.

As has been mentioned, some sort of 2:1 lacing will help..16RH spokes, 8LH , type deal. But ya gotta have a proper rim for that..24h
Old 04-15-2024, 07:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
What is an off-center rim? Example? Is there anything available in a silver box section rim. Think H+SON TB-14 (current production) or Ambrosio Elite 19 (vintage, early 80s).
Velocity A23
DT various
Kinlin...
Old 04-15-2024, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will point out again that I am building a wheelset for a vintage bike. I have rims (H+SON TB-14) to go along with the Suzue Classica hubs. I'll do what I can to minimize tension differences (spoke weight, spoke prep, etc), but in the end they will still wind up looking like vintage wheels for the most part.

I suspect part of the problem is that while the hub has a 126mm axle, it was probably meant to be used as a 130mm hub.