Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2024, 10:08 PM

Ebike (my Turbo Creo) power consumption riddle

Today on a ride out in the beauty of The County I got to wondering as I was doing a climb. For sure I don't know all the variables but the basic question I was asking myself is - does the motor consume the same amount of juice doing a 1000 ft climb in one mile as it would in 1000 feet of climbing over 10 miles. This would be in the same power setting of the motor for both scenarios.

Think my watt output would have to be the same for both which would mean gearing would be a factor?
Old 04-12-2024, 10:39 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

The simple answer is no, because there are a number of variables, not just the work to lift you and the bike 1000'. For example, the bike is probably going faster for the 10 mile option, so aero drag will be higher for that, and as we well know, that's nonlinear. Another factor that might affect the battery is the length of time over which it has do to a given amount of work. If it has to do X joules over 30 minutes vs X joules over 2 hours I bet that might affect the battery differently.

(all this assumes no input or as you say, the same input from the rider)

This doesn't say anything about batteries, but you can calculate the wattage for your two scenarios:

https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/cycling-wattage
Old 04-13-2024, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
Today on a ride out in the beauty of The County I got to wondering as I was doing a climb. For sure I don't know all the variables but the basic question I was asking myself is - does the motor consume the same amount of juice doing a 1000 ft climb in one mile as it would in 1000 feet of climbing over 10 miles. This would be in the same power setting of the motor for both scenarios.

Think my watt output would have to be the same for both which would mean gearing would be a factor?
No. This could only be true if climbing was the only thing that consumes energy, which would imply that the battery would last forever on a flat road.