Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2024, 01:24 PM
#RYFB

Has anyone ridden Rose Valley Road outside of Ojai, CA?

I have heard this is a lovely road and am planning to ride it this spring. It's mostly paved but there is a short unpaved section and it would be nice to know if it's manageable on a road bike with 28s.

The specific section I'm curious about is highlighted here:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35162...ghlight=87-268
Old 04-09-2024, 08:11 PM
mentholated

youd just be taking the highway out of town and climbing until the turn off for the road to the trail head and campground? youre fine. the trail dead ends in the dirt somewhere near the shooting range. but im not sure how to get there since the 33 is still closed.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:58 AM
#RYFB

Thanks very much -- yes, I was just planning an out-and-back on 33 to get to Rose Valley, had no idea it was closed (CALTRANS says one way traffic with up to 15 minute delays for cars, bicycles not permitted).

You're saying that the dirt section I highlighted is no problem on a road bike, right?
Old 04-10-2024, 12:36 PM

If you are in the area, there is a very nice bike path separate from the road from Ventura to Ojai. The ride around Lake Casitas to Carpenteria and then return on the coast is also nice but does have car traffic but usually not too much.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:05 PM
mentholated

its been a while since ive lived there but i THINK that last part of dirt youve marked is ok. the climb from rose valley campground up to the fire road is steep as hell i would not try that on 28s.

riding around the lake is sketchy to me because of the lack of shoulder and too many blind turns.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:56 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
If you are in the area, there is a very nice bike path separate from the road from Ventura to Ojai. The ride around Lake Casitas to Carpenteria and then return on the coast is also nice but does have car traffic but usually not too much.
Yes, very familiar with all that, thanks.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
That is a nice loop.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:54 PM
mentholated

if you open up google maps and follow that road you have marked you can see the road conditions pretty well. those highlighted areas are out to the piedra blanca trailheads. its paved but unmaintained. i havent been up there in forever but the views are very nice. will be hot as HELL going up there in the summer.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:57 PM
mentholated

if you keep going like a mile or so passed the turn for rose valley, youll climb a little bit more and be at the saddle for probably the coolest view in the valley. locals call it the phone booth.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:26 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
if you open up google maps and follow that road you have marked you can see the road conditions pretty well. those highlighted areas are out to the piedra blanca trailheads. its paved but unmaintained. i havent been up there in forever but the views are very nice. will be hot as HELL going up there in the summer.
Thanks, I'll take a look. I was hoping to do this in the next month+ to avoid the heat but if 33 doesn't open by then I'll wait until fall.

Quote:
if you keep going like a mile or so passed the turn for rose valley, youll climb a little bit more and be at the saddle for probably the coolest view in the valley. locals call it the phone booth.
Yeah, I've ridden 33 all the way to the Pine Mountain summit (when there was snow there). It was mostly very nice, only diminished by a few d-bag drivers on the road.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:07 PM

Pine Mountain Ridge was one of my favorite roads in California. If you are heading up to Rose, and don't mind packing an extra water bottle... I think it's a must do.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:37 PM
mentholated

i used to refill at bellyache springs, on the left side of the 33 like halfway between rose and wheeler. no giardia, they called it bellyache because people on horseback would meet there and talk trash.
Old 04-11-2024, 01:47 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardCosellsPR View Post
Pine Mountain Ridge was one of my favorite roads in California. If you are heading up to Rose, and don't mind packing an extra water bottle... I think it's a must do.
Interesting. Edit: I see that it's a paved out and back from 33. I added it to my Rose Valley route and it works out to just about a century with 100 feet of elevation per mile starting from Ojai, my kind of ride. Hoping that 33 opens before the heat gets oppressive.

Last edited by cgolvin; 04-11-2024 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
youd just be taking the highway out of town and climbing until the turn off for the road to the trail head and campground? youre fine. the trail dead ends in the dirt somewhere near the shooting range. but im not sure how to get there since the 33 is still closed.
Why is 33 closed? It was a lot of fun on a motorcycle.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:59 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Why is 33 closed? It was a lot of fun on a motorcycle.
From CalTrans:
Quote:
1-way controlled traffic at various locations from 2.7 mi north of Ojai (Ventura Co) to 13.4 mi south of the Ventura/Santa Barbara Co Line 24 hrs a day 7 days a week - Due to emergency repair work - Motorists are subject to delays of up to 15 minutes - Bicycles are not permitted
So if you wanted to ride it on your moto you could come over Frazier Park or Lockwood Valley to Pine Mountain and approach from the north … provided you didn't mind turning around to go back after enjoying 33

Last edited by cgolvin; 04-13-2024 at 05:01 PM.