Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2023, 06:50 PM

FWIW I was looking at a 2017 Hi-Mod a few weeks (months?) ago. SI cranks but otherwise full Dura Ace 9000 for $1500. It had been listed for most of the year and finally sold last month.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
The SSEvo HiMod is such an awesome bike. From 2016 on the tire clearance is 28+ and the bike rides smooth and responsively.
I believe it was '17 onwards, my '16 could only fit 25s but anyway...

Last edited by Davist; 11-27-2023 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
I believe it was '17 onwards, my '16 could only fit 25s but anyway...
My Googling says the increased tire clearance came in 2016 on the Hi-Mod and 2017 on the regular Evo. One seller I'm talking with says 28s fit fine on his 2016 Hi-Mod.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:18 PM

ah, sorry mine was a low mod or whatever the regular one is called!
Old 11-28-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I would not want to dissuade you from a getting a supersix. if it is an itch you want to scratch, by all means go for it, especially for 1500. but i want to tell you my experiences with a 2013 BLACK INC SuperSix Evo HiMod and a 2018 SuperSix HiMod (both rims brakes).

The 2013 was the top-of-the-line Nano Ballistics Tech (does eyeroll) and retailed at 12000. I bought the bike two years ago. Aside the the razor sharp handling (which is out-of-this-world), the bike was okay. My 2020 Trek Emonda SLR "felt" more solid and handled even better.

The 2018 Supersix handled similar to the 2018. But man, the ride was stiff even with Bora Ultra tubulars. I could not handle any rides more than 2.5 hours long. The road buzz was not only transmiited to the handlebars but I felt it was amplified.

It was fun to build both bikes to 12.5 lb. To me the weight was the allure. Soon after, I sold both bikes after owning them for less than 9-10 months.

But stomping on the pedals of a 12.5 lb bike on >11% grades is a feeling one ought to have. Bucket list.

I just wish there were frames with a better ride quality that were just as light as the HiMod and handled just as good. Aethos, Argonaut, Pursuit, Crumpton all come to mind. But we are not going to compare a 1500 bike to 6000+ framesets, now are we.
I also have a SuperSix Evo HiMod Nano (2015). Its the best handling road bike I've owned and I've had too many. Parked next to it is it's disc braked cousin, the Aethos, also excellent.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:13 PM

You are all terrible. I just bought a caad13 to build up as a mini weenie build and now I'm looking at the SS evo hi-mod. Looking at the geo though, it's pretty apparent that it's going to be way too aggressive for me unless I go up a size...but that's something I'd definitely want to try especially to check the standover. Oy vey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
ah, sorry mine was a low mod or whatever the regular one is called!
Hahaha.

Also, greetings from philly. Say hi sometime! Lets ride!
Old 11-29-2023, 01:20 PM

Welp, I made the plunge. I am not sure I have ever even ridden a carbon road bike. Closest I've come is the CAAD10 I had. I just bought this eBay auction this morning.

Am I correct in thinking this bike has a 73mm wide BB and therefore many typical cranksets will be too short in the spindle, so I should stay with the Hollowgram Si cranks?

Mavic wheel afficianados - it seems as though these could be an unmatched set of wheels. The front has 18 bladed spokes and it looks as though R-SYS wheels have 16 carbon spokes. Can anyone identify these wheels?

Anything else I should know?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (148.4 KB, 186 views)
Old 11-29-2023, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post

Mavic wheel afficianados - it seems as though these could be an unmatched set of wheels. The front has 18 bladed spokes and it looks as though R-SYS wheels have 16 carbon spokes. Can anyone identify these wheels?

Nice find! They may be a Ksyrium SLR Exalith (I think it was SLR), as there was a version with a mix of metal and one side of carbon spokes. Still great wheels and quite light.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Wow, you got a pretty nice deal on that complete. This should be a fun one for you to zip around on; and I suspect much lighter than anything in your current fleet. Steel is real, but so are grams!
Old 11-29-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Am I correct in thinking this bike has a 73mm wide BB and therefore many typical cranksets will be too short in the spindle, so I should stay with the Hollowgram Si cranks?

Nice find and a decent price! Those BBs are PF30 (https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/own..._133349_en.pdf). If you want to mess around with Shimano cranks, I have a WheelsMfg PF30 to 24mm BB I'll send you for free - just DM your contact info. I think the best cranks for this type of frame will ultimately still be the Cannondale Hollowgram arms, though you might get better shifting with Praxis rings.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
Nice find and a decent price! Those BBs are PF30 (https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/own..._133349_en.pdf). If you want to mess around with Shimano cranks, I have a WheelsMfg PF30 to 24mm BB I'll send you for free - just DM your contact info. I think the best cranks for this type of frame will ultimately still be the Cannondale Hollowgram arms, though you might get better shifting with Praxis rings.
That's a super generous offer. Let's see what I find when it arrives. I do know I'll be lowering gearing - 52/36 is not my jam. Was even thinking of a 1x11 with one of the ZTTO cassettes people suggested for Angry's Mag Dogma.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:39 PM

Cool bike! Hope you like it, M. Should be a nice contrast to your other ones. I think that bb is 68mm wide, same as BSA? 73mm makes me think of Italian threaded bbs. I'm sure this one is not threaded, though. I'm a fan of Praxis cranks and their PF30 bottom brackets if you're thinking of swapping out the current one. Those 172.5 cranks may feel a bit long for you. You'd probably be happier on 165s.
Can't tell from pics about the wheels, but those could be very nice ones. I'd give them a chance before switching them out. You will need Exalith pads, though.

Last edited by tv_vt; 11-29-2023 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Wow, you got a pretty nice deal on that complete. This should be a fun one for you to zip around on; and I suspect much lighter than anything in your current fleet. Steel is real, but so are grams!
This is really your fault, with your 15 pound thread.
I can't figure why there was only one other bid. Others I've looked at are asking more $. Seller has little feedback but has been a prompt communicator.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:46 PM

Great bike and local to me. Good buy.
These are the wheels https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...h-wheels/-they were the stock spec.
The Si is a fine crank, other than needing the proprietary tool to change the rings...
Old 11-29-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
That's a super generous offer. Let's see what I find when it arrives. I do know I'll be lowering gearing - 52/36 is not my jam. Was even thinking of a 1x11 with one of the ZTTO cassettes people suggested for Angry's Mag Dogma.
Keep it 2x. You won't need to worry about 'adding lightness' on that frame.

Also, look at the token threaded bb's for going the shimano route. Treefort bike has some great deals on them. I just bought 2 of the threaded ones for my caad13 with the bb30a. They automatically pricematch so they slashed the price by like 50% for the BB's without my having to do any work.

https://www.treefortbikes.com/