Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2023, 01:05 PM

I had one begin to fail under warranty and got a new one. Mine was a creak/tick that did not get a chance to get any worse. It was quite sound when it was replaced but had one of those pedal-ticking sounds as bond was beginnig to fail. I am not too heavy or powerful and live in the flatlands. Have seen a few bad failures in the shop. Scary looking for sure. Lesson is don't ignore sounds and do a visual inspection every once in a while. And agree that this is not shimano's finest hour in choosing how to handle recall, but then again the whole bike industry is in a recessionary, post-pandemic glut/funk right now. I'm sure oem orders are waay down.
Old 09-21-2023, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
There is no indication that any hollowtech crank* is immune from cracking. If a crank isn't cracked, it's just that it hasn't seen enough usage under the wrong conditions yet. That's why I said upthread that I think they will have to expand this recall. I guarantee that failed cranks will be missed and other cranks will fail after an inspection. The glue can fail from the inside, so it's not evident without a very good NDA inspection by a competent technician that it's safe. And a shop isn't going to be able to do anything other than a visual inspection. Unless I'm wrong and they are sending out bottles of dye and a uv light.

On edit: it has been pointed out that some hollowtech cranks are not bonded. The issue only involves bonded cranks.
I believe this. Anyone know what might have changed in 2019, ostensibly reducing the likelihood of failure? It seems like the same design so the most reasonable explanation is not enough post-2019 cranks have failed for them to be listed at this point.

I have TG, TH, and UL cranks floating around. "Phew."

Sounds like the visually sound cranks among us might benefit from a little "help" to warrant upgrade to the special new version.
Old 09-21-2023, 01:29 PM

That's seriously screwed up -- I ride 180s, which are nearly impossible to find already.
Old 09-21-2023, 01:55 PM

A little more news from my LBS: visual inspection is for issues that would indicate impending failure (splitting seams, cracks, corrosion) and to ensure chainrings sit flush on the arms. Ultegra inspection is for drive side only. Dura Ace inspection is for both crank arms. I routinely inspect my cranks and feel comfortable riding them. I don't plan to bring mine to the LBS until the initial rush is over.

Greg
Old 09-21-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I'm not sure about the logic of thinking you don't weigh enough to break these. Hambini broke one, and he looks like he weighs 130 pounds.
Yep, I weigh 145 and have a broken 6800 in my storage room. A local shop posted the Shimano notification earlier and specifically said the crankset must be installed on a bike before it will be checked. I replaced the broken a few years ago though. I've contacted them to see if they would look at the broken one, but haven't heard back.
Old 09-21-2023, 02:15 PM
Pack fill

5 of my 6 R8000 cranks made the list. I am going to keep an eye on them. I examined carefully and so far they look intact. Hopefully more info will come out about the specifics to look for.
Old 09-21-2023, 02:26 PM

I gotta check mine.

I have two bikes which have 10-speed groups on them.

But I installed 11-speed cranks on both of them.. some kind of future proof logic, but 6-7 years later I haven't need to replace any of the derailleurs so they've never been fully switched to 11-speed groups.

The one bike that is most likely to be effected I'd almost be tempted to switch it to eTap. The mechanical shimano stuff on it is perfect... but if I end up having to buy a new crank I might just be done with Shimano on that bike.

I have had a case where my chainring skipped and my foot crashed to the bottom of the pedal stroke while I was standing. That was scary enough and it was amazing I didn't crash. The idea of taking it a step further and the pedal brakes off is scary enough that if I'm effected but my crank isn't broken so they say "just wait and see" I would just replace it.
Old 09-21-2023, 02:29 PM

32 bikes in the rotation but only the crankset on the Y-Foil is affected.

It pays to run a lot of older stuff and Campagnolo!

Oh but I did drop off the Kestrel this morning to get it finished up with a brand new R8000.

To be honest I really cant get too excited about this. I'd say the odds are much higher on so many other riding "risks" than the chance that the crank could fail. Especially since I go nuts over any creaking or other noises anyway.
Old 09-21-2023, 02:33 PM

I also tend to go nuts over any creak.

But when I had the case where I wore crankrings enough that they skipped there was no warning whatsoever.

Everything was fine one day and the next day all of a sudden I got up out of the saddle and my foot went crashing down. I could have had a bad crash that very first time. I think I could easily have gotten hurt even without crashing too.

It really does sound like this is a progressive failure and not a sudden failure.. but still. To me it's not very different than fork steerers separating but they say it's a gradual separation.
Old 09-21-2023, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Maybe this has already been covered, but where and what should someone look at to see signs of this problem?
Old 09-21-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Maybe this has already been covered, but where and what should someone look at to see signs of this problem?
If you have access to the Shimano dealer website (I don't), instructions for the visual inspection are there according to my LBS. For anecdotal evidence of failure modes, view the thanksshimano Instagram page.

Greg
Old 09-21-2023, 04:24 PM

I wonder if there's going to be a run on breaking/broken used cranks as folks try to get brand new ones for cheep.
Old 09-21-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
If you have access to the Shimano dealer website (I don't), instructions for the visual inspection are there according to my LBS. For anecdotal evidence of failure modes, view the thanksshimano Instagram page.

Greg
I talked to a LBS and they just got the notice and need to review the instructions. Shimano told them that only about 1% of cranks are expected to be affected or about 7600 out of 760,000 cranks out there. They told me to call back next week to schedule an appointment. lol
Old 09-21-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I guess the good news is that it should make getting these replaced even easier when they fail. The bad news is, to avoid failure, you have to catch them at the point after they've started to fail and before they completely fail.

Does anyone know if these failures are only on the drive side, or could they affect non-drive side too? Asking for someone with a few left side Stages power meters.
The left crank on Dura-Ace is included in the inspection.

Power meter crankarms not made by Shimano are going to have to jump through extra hoops to get made whole.
Old 09-21-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
I just finished watching the four instruction videos from Shimano.

*The inspection video goes through several steps. First, the crank has to fit between the correct date codes to be involved. Without fitting int the date codes, there is no current remedy.

The customer is asked about noises like creaking or odd feeling when pedaling

Next, the crank is taken off and chainrings removed, then washed to look for separation in the glued joints or to find cracks.

If it has any separation or cracks, it is registered on the Shimano dealer website and shipped to Shimano where they inspect it again and if they agree, a new crank is shipped to the dealer. Assuming they have the same crank in stock. If a shop is in good standing with Shimano, they will get paid for sending the crankarm back.

Last edited by bikinchris; 09-21-2023 at 05:31 PM.