Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I have FC-9000 marked ML.
But I bought it used, does it still qualify for replacement or do I need proof of purchase?
Because it's a recall, you don't need to show proof of ownership.

Because they'll only replace it if it's already showing signs of failure, functionally this is just a really generous lifetime warranty.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowebr View Post
I don’t think this is correct. The 105-5800 and 105-R7000 series are still “Hollowtech” but the drive side arm to spider connection on those is a single piece of aluminum. Nothing bonded together. And those cranks are not recalled.
half a mind to just replace w/ R7000 cranks, ignore the aesthetics and not worry...
Old 09-21-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Only 'LG' cranks??

None of mine are LG, that's good.. right?

OOps, no.

The affected models are pre-July 2019 production and have the following two letter production code on backside of the crank arm where the pedals are attached: KF, KG, KH, KI, KJ, KK, KL, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH, LI, LJ, LK, LL, MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ, NK, NL, OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, OG, OH, OI, OJ, OK, OL, PA, PB, PC, PD, PE, PF, PG, PH, PI, PJ, PK, PL, QA, QB, QC, QD, QE, QF, QG, QH, QI, QJ, QK, QL, RA, RB, RC, RD, RE, and RF.
Nutz. I have 3 of those currently in use. Luckily it doesn't rain too much where I live & ride. Cranks look fine as of now.

What's a decent, not breaking the bank, upgrade?
Old 09-21-2023, 11:43 AM

I had an Ultegra crankset fail in this manner a couple of years ago. Over the course of one ride a clicking began and became steadily more noticeable. After a little bit we stopped to investigate and after checking all of the normal suspects for a click, noticed the drive side crank arm ungluing. I slowly pedaled ~25 miles home and never felt unsafe doing so. Had a new crank courtesy of Shimano within a week.

The recall manner is inconvenient to say the least, but if my experience is close to standard, the failure isn't an immediate life-threatening issue. My Scarab has an affected crank, I'll have my mechanic inspect it next time its in the shop, but won't rush to do so.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:55 AM

so only if crank is showing signs of failure?
Old 09-21-2023, 11:56 AM

I have two 11-speed 105 groupsets so it looks like in this case my cheapskate ways saved me from any bother. But not feeling great about buying Shimano in the future. Shouldn't they at least pay for regular checks going forward, what's the point of checking it once?
Old 09-21-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecherrypie View Post
I have two 11-speed 105 groupsets so it looks like in this case my cheapskate ways saved me from any bother. But not feeling great about buying Shimano in the future. Shouldn't they at least pay for regular checks going forward, what's the point of checking it once?
You're right. They should pay for your gas to the shop, and meals as well.
Old 09-21-2023, 12:01 PM

I just messaged a member of my racing team who works at our LBS for more info. If he shares anything of interest on this recall, I will post it for everyone's situational awareness.

Greg
Old 09-21-2023, 12:02 PM

are the replacement the same crankset that has the same design flaw?
Old 09-21-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
are the replacement the same crankset that has the same design flaw?
From the Escape Collective article/James Huang:

"Now, about that new crankset: Shimano says it’s already discontinued production of those 11-speed cranks, and restarting those production lines just isn’t feasible. As a result, Shimano will replace those Ultegra and Dura-Ace cranks with a, “special version, which may feature a different cosmetic appearance while maintaining the same level of performance.” Those cranks are supposedly based on current 12-speed cranks, but with chainring spacing that has been adjusted for use with 11-speed drivetrains"
Old 09-21-2023, 12:16 PM

Same crank and design flaw but secured with extra Gorilla glue and duct tape.
Old 09-21-2023, 12:21 PM

Teammate/technician at my LBS says visual inspection only. If I can get the specific instructions for the inspection, I will share them.

Greg
Old 09-21-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
Nutz. I have 3 of those currently in use. Luckily it doesn't rain too much where I live & ride. Cranks look fine as of now.

What's a decent, not breaking the bank, upgrade?
The 105-5800 and 105-R7000 will both work to replace 11-speed Ultegra or Dura-Ace cranks. Those 105 cranksets do not use the bonded design and aren’t subject to the recall.
Old 09-21-2023, 12:50 PM

I have an Ultegra crank that is in scope with this recall. If I bring the bike to the shop where it was purchased and they say it's ok can I just go across the street to another bike shop and have them check?
Old 09-21-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
I wonder how my SRM Dura Ace 9000 crankarms will be handled. Bought new from SRM in Sept 2019 and indicated to be made by Shimano in 2016...

The SRM DA9000 powermeters (and the SRM DA7800 and DA7900 PM's before them) were built on a 7800 crank chassis. Toward the end, Shimano started manufacturing special 7800 cranks for SRM - they were labeled as FC-SR70 cranks by Shimano. These were the ones that were painted to look like FC-9000 DA cranksets with the two tone finish.

You probably have those SR70 cranks.

Shimano tired of providing cranks for SRM when they launched their 9000 powermeter and SRM had to look to alternate cranksets. It was around this time that they began developing their Origin crank chassis that most of their powermeters are built around now.

Last edited by BdaGhisallo; 09-21-2023 at 12:57 PM.