Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2023, 10:12 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs7282 View Post
If you have cranks that are in the batches that have been known to result in failures, but currently look OK, you are SOL.

Is that right?
There is no indication that any hollowtech crank* is immune from cracking. If a crank isn't cracked, it's just that it hasn't seen enough usage under the wrong conditions yet. That's why I said upthread that I think they will have to expand this recall. I guarantee that failed cranks will be missed and other cranks will fail after an inspection. The glue can fail from the inside, so it's not evident without a very good NDA inspection by a competent technician that it's safe. And a shop isn't going to be able to do anything other than a visual inspection. Unless I'm wrong and they are sending out bottles of dye and a uv light.

On edit: it has been pointed out that some hollowtech cranks are not bonded. The issue only involves bonded cranks.

Last edited by unterhausen; 09-21-2023 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:16 AM
Pack fill

I am not too concerned. Less than a 1% failure rate, I weigh 170 Lb and generate very little power. Bikes never see salt water enviroment and rain very seldom. I am anal and wipe down after every ride so an extra 15 seconds to check out the crank is no big deal. Plus most shop employees around wouldn't notice an indication of fatigue unless they ran their finger over it and started bleeding
Old 09-21-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
There is no indication that any hollowtech crank is immune from cracking. If a crank isn't cracked, it's just that it hasn't seen enough usage under the wrong conditions yet. That's why I said upthread that I think they will have to expand this recall. I guarantee that failed cranks will be missed and other cranks will fail after an inspection. The glue can fail from the inside, so it's not evident without a very good NDA inspection by a competent technician that it's safe. And a shop isn't going to be able to do anything other than a visual inspection. Unless I'm wrong and they are sending out bottles of dye and a uv light.
Got it, I missed that. Agree, it's tough to think the LBS is going to be able to accurately/thoroughly inspect for pre-failure issues. It would seem to me that if they're able to visually identify something wrong, that's a crank that's already failed!
Old 09-21-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
I am not too concerned. Less than a 1% failure rate, I weigh 170 Lb and generate very little power. Bikes never see salt water enviroment and rain very seldom. I am anal and wipe down after every ride so an extra 15 seconds to check out the crank is no big deal. Plus most shop employees around wouldn't notice an indication of fatigue unless they ran their finger over it and started bleeding
As someone that's been riding in a group at speed when a crank failed (FSA, not Shimano) and resulted in a multiple person crash, including one serious injury (which was not to the person whose crank failed, but the rider behind them...also, thankfully, I was toward the back of the group and was spared injury that day), I have a much different perspective! I too take good care of my bikes and gear, but that is not a substitute for the manufacturer standing behind the product, IMO.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:23 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Got it, I missed that. Agree, it's tough to think the LBS is going to be able to accurately/thoroughly inspect for pre-failure issues. It would seem to me that if they're able to visually identify something wrong, that's a crank that's already failed!
In my LBS [if it existed] I'd be failing every chainset before subjecting my customers safety and my shop reputation. There is NO WAY I'd share the liability or reputational burden with Shimano, period.

I suspect I'd become a Campy and SRAM shop.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
There is no indication that any hollowtech crank is immune from cracking. If a crank isn't cracked, it's just that it hasn't seen enough usage under the wrong conditions yet. That's why I said upthread that I think they will have to expand this recall. I guarantee that failed cranks will be missed and other cranks will fail after an inspection. The glue can fail from the inside, so it's not evident without a very good NDA inspection by a competent technician that it's safe. And a shop isn't going to be able to do anything other than a visual inspection. Unless I'm wrong and they are sending out bottles of dye and a uv light.
I don’t think this is correct. The 105-5800 and 105-R7000 series are still “Hollowtech” but the drive side arm to spider connection on those is a single piece of aluminum. Nothing bonded together. And those cranks are not recalled.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:27 AM
Pack fill

Quote:
As someone that's been riding in a group at speed when a crank failed (FSA, not Shimano) and resulted in a multiple person crash, including one serious injury (which was not to the person whose crank failed, but the rider behind them...also, thankfully, I was toward the back of the group and was spared injury that day), I have a much different perspective! I too take good care of my bikes and gear, but that is not a substitute for the manufacturer standing behind the product, IMO.
I understand your perspective. Nowadays 95% of my riding is done solo but pack when I participated in fast group rides I saw chains break more than anything else. Usually as soon as someone stood up to climb or sprint. Seen a broken elbow, broken forearm and lots of strawberry's from chains failing
Old 09-21-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
I suspect I'd become a Campy and SRAM shop.
Apart from safety concerns, my other major concern with this recall is I am going to have to quit my SRAM trash-talking schtick!!
Old 09-21-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
I understand your perspective. Nowadays 95% of my riding is done solo but pack when I participated in fast group rides I saw chains break more than anything else. Usually as soon as someone stood up to climb or sprint. Seen a broken elbow, broken forearm and lots of strawberry's from chains failing
For sure, that day had a major impact on me in terms of my outlook on group riding, along with a few other group rides where group behavior endangered everyone. For those reasons I usually ride alone these days as well, if not, with a much smaller group of trusted riders.

Still, I'd hate to be hammering on the gas and have one of these cranks break, even if I'm solo....
Old 09-21-2023, 10:33 AM

I just went out to the garage and looked over mine and my wifes' bikes. Of the 6 bikes with Shimano Ultegra or Dura Ace cranksets all 6 have date codes included in the recall. I'll do a more thorough inspection myself but I don't see taking these to the shop unless I see something questionable.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:57 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
I just went out to the garage and looked over mine and my wifes' bikes. Of the 6 bikes with Shimano Ultegra or Dura Ace cranksets all 6 have date codes included in the recall. I'll do a more thorough inspection myself but I don't see taking these to the shop unless I see something questionable.

Sound logic, but kinda should been already I guess. I am putting a R7000 Chainset on my RSL/SLR Domane before I ride today. 3 minute operation. And faster than cleaning and inspecting. I may DIY a die/UV inspection after some googling...

'but kinda should already I guess...' or at least been looking more often and deeply.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:08 AM
Randomhead

I'm not sure about the logic of thinking you don't weigh enough to break these. Hambini broke one, and he looks like he weighs 130 pounds.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure about the logic of thinking you don't weigh enough to break these. Hambini broke one, and he looks like he weighs 130 pounds.
You sure he just didn't need YouTube clicks?
Old 09-21-2023, 11:15 AM

The tip of the iceberg. I agree with others that the recall will expand. This is very bad for Shimano.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:26 AM

I have FC-9000 marked ML.
But I bought it used, does it still qualify for replacement or do I need proof of purchase?