Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
This. Even if your crank passes their visual "inspection", would you feel comfortable using it? I wouldn't. That reported number of failures is way too high.
IMO its unlikely a failure will cause accident or injury and I'd keep riding it until it was a problem if it were me, unless it was clearly indicated as one of the bad ones by the markings.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
From an engineering standpoint, I say this is a completely bumbled recall.

If a product has a known failure mode and requires either inspection or replacement, you can't just set a one time inspection point and bless the thing for the rest of it's life.
IANAL, but it would appear that by not going full-hog, they've also opened themselves to liabilities by knowing that things could be unsafe yet still not doing the minimum required for safety (e.g. at least a set of periodic checks, though replacement might be cheaper in the long-run).
Old 09-21-2023, 09:29 AM

So much for Shimano's stellar warranty system. "If the local bike shops OKs it, ride it until you need a dentist". Nice. I don't ride those cranks, but you better believe if I had some and the local bike shop said they wouldn't be replaced, I'd buy something else and install it asap. You can play the numbers game all you want, to the people that had them fail, it's a 100% rate.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:35 AM

Shimano recalls 760,000 Hollowtech road cranks due to 4,519 incidents of ‘separation or delamination.....

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shimano-crankset-recall/

Old 09-21-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
My thought is the LBS OKs them, then they fail. Now the LBS has more liability than previous. What the Fudge?

From all the readings, seems the catastrophic fails were the 'I wondered why it was creaking cases'

Anyone else gleam that?
Yes, agreed, any creaking from the crank/BB area needs to be checked right away!
Old 09-21-2023, 09:40 AM

Ugh, I have 2 sets of DA ones that are under this recall.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:44 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
whats the problem with the 12 speed shifters?
Defective spring design in XT and XTR shifters causes the downshift lever to completely fail, permanently. Shimano warrantied three of them in a row for me before I got sick of the routine.

I believe they’ve quietly fixed the issue but never admitted it.

As for the cranks, never forget 2019-2023 THANKSSHIMANO https://instagram.com/thanksshimano
Old 09-21-2023, 09:46 AM
Randomhead

I think what happens first is the glue cracks, which may be difficult to see since it's in a seam. It then develops into a crack of the metal, which is easier to see once it gets large enough to kill you. Hth.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:58 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Defective spring design in XT and XTR shifters causes the downshift lever to completely fail, permanently. Shimano warrantied three of them in a row for me before I got sick of the routine.

I believe they’ve quietly fixed the issue but never admitted it.

As for the cranks, never forget 2019-2023 THANKSSHIMANO https://instagram.com/thanksshimano
And this goes for the chainsets too I'd say. The fact that I have R8000 cranks marked UK 'NOT' being on the recall list speaks to that.

I still wonder looking at some Pacenti V1 SL23 rims up on the wall I'd never sell just how many products skim under the radar. I have used them for myself with a washer schemata after several trials.

I make the point as unlike the cranks rims wear out faster outta there service life, yada. Is this how products like the V1 SL23 skate ultimately? How many other cycling products skate?
Old 09-21-2023, 09:59 AM

After doing some more research on the recall...basically it sounds like the Cliff's Notes are:

If you have cranks that have the early stages of a failure condition, they'll be replaced.

If you have cranks that are in the batches that have been known to result in failures, but currently look OK, you are SOL.

Is that right?
Old 09-21-2023, 10:01 AM
Administrator

This is from CyclingNews...

Quote:
If you are in North America and believe you have an affected crank, you are advised to immediately stop using it and contact a Shimano dealer or an authorised inspection centre (essentially any store that is familiar with Shimano components and has passed Shimano's maintenance course). The dealer will then perform an inspection, and where signs of delamination or separation are found, a free replacement will be issued.
So what if the cranks haven't been used enough for any delamination to occur?
Old 09-21-2023, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
This is from CyclingNews...

So what if the cranks haven't been used enough for any delamination to occur?
Keep riding.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Keep riding.
That doesn't give me the warm fuzzies
Old 09-21-2023, 10:09 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs7282 View Post
After doing some more research on the recall...basically it sounds like the Cliff's Notes are:

If you have cranks that have the early stages of a failure condition, they'll be replaced.

If you have cranks that are in the batches that have been known to result in failures, but currently look OK, you are SOL.

Is that right?
Recalls are a legal distinction, lets face it. We have a Chevy Bolt, so ask me how I know.

So not to stray too far... I do wonder how state of other countries 'distinction' handles recalls on these. Would it not be per laws of country which consumer protection vary wildly?

Quote:
No kidding. While back, when this all got in our threads here I bought a few R7000 chainsets. Starting to feel my actions actually more than satisfying my paranoia. I feel a lot better about the anal mismatch feelings about now....

Clearly, we must consider if this moves a Shimano groupos into the replace the chainsets sooner than later. Older units having been in used longest and in the environment longest considered beyond service life??

Last edited by robt57; 09-21-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
🤷

Nothing has indefinite service life, check your bike before riding, whether it's Shimano or Campy or SRAM.

6 injuries in 800k recalled seems to suggest it's not a catastrophic failure.

Last edited by rice rocket; 09-21-2023 at 10:15 AM.