Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2023, 08:05 AM

Shimano Crankset Recall

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Sh...o-Crash-Hazard

This goes out to all the guys who said "this isn't that common"
Quote:
The firm has received 4,519 incidents of cranksets separating, and six reported injuries, including bone fractures, joint displacement and lacerations.
0.59% failure rate, at the very least. Big numbers and small numbers, they'll always get you in the end.

Last edited by spoonrobot; 09-21-2023 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:12 AM

about time, although they've been good about replacing them
Old 09-21-2023, 08:13 AM

Save some people a click:

Remedy:
Consumers should immediately stop using the cranksets manufactured before July 1, 2019, and contact an authorized Shimano dealer to schedule a free crankset inspection. Only consumers whose cranksets show signs of bonding separation or delamination during the inspection will be provided a free replacement crankset and installation.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:18 AM
Randomhead

I feel like they are going to have to expand that recall.

It's hard to generalize, and I'm sure there are exceptions, but it seems like this problem is much more likely to affect cranks that are ridden a lot in the rain. I imagine that shops in certain areas of the world are going to find a lot of cracked cranks.

I have to admit that I'm a bit less likely to buy a shimano crank because of this problem.

Last edited by unterhausen; 09-21-2023 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:28 AM

The remedy is not great for the riders. Some people will bring in their bike, mechanic says there’s nothing wrong with the cranks, and off they go. But that crank still has a failure risk. Riders should be keeping an eye on them regularly to check for separation/de-bonding.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowebr View Post
The remedy is not great for the riders. Some people will bring in their bike, mechanic says there’s nothing wrong with the cranks, and off they go. But that crank still has a failure risk. Riders should be keeping an eye on them regularly to check for separation/de-bonding.
Yeah agreed, and this isn't exactly news to me or a lot of other people. Both my and my wife's main road bikes run 11 speed Ultegra (R8000) cranks and are nominally affected. However, I can check them probably as well as the shop can but I know there is always a chance of failure with these cranks.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:43 AM
Meh

I gave up completely on Shimano after the 12 speed XT/XTR shifter debacle and the (still ongoing) defects in their Servowave mountain bike brakes.

I do not understand the consistent pattern Shimano has of simply denying serious issues and fixing them quietly without remedy, recourse, or notice to the public. This crankset issue has been notorious for many years and it is hazardous. It should not take four years for them to come clean.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:44 AM

I guess the good news is that it should make getting these replaced even easier when they fail. The bad news is, to avoid failure, you have to catch them at the point after they've started to fail and before they completely fail.

Does anyone know if these failures are only on the drive side, or could they affect non-drive side too? Asking for someone with a few left side Stages power meters.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I feel like they are going to have to expand that recall.

It's hard to generalize, and I'm sure there are exceptions, but it seems like this problem is much more likely to affect cranks that are ridden a lot in the rain. I imagine that shops in certain areas of the world are going to find a lot of cracked cranks.

I have to admit that I'm a bit less likely to buy a shimano crank because of this problem.
I wonder how my SRM Dura Ace 9000 crankarms will be handled. Bought new from SRM in Sept 2019 and indicated to be made by Shimano in 2016...
Old 09-21-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:

This. Even if your crank passes their visual "inspection", would you feel comfortable using it? I wouldn't. That reported number of failures is way too high.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:19 AM
Administrator

From an engineering standpoint, I say this is a completely bumbled recall.

If a product has a known failure mode and requires either inspection or replacement, you can't just set a one time inspection point and bless the thing for the rest of it's life.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:24 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Only 'LG' cranks??

None of mine are LG, that's good.. right?

OOps, no.

The affected models are pre-July 2019 production and have the following two letter production code on backside of the crank arm where the pedals are attached: KF, KG, KH, KI, KJ, KK, KL, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH, LI, LJ, LK, LL, MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ, NK, NL, OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, OG, OH, OI, OJ, OK, OL, PA, PB, PC, PD, PE, PF, PG, PH, PI, PJ, PK, PL, QA, QB, QC, QD, QE, QF, QG, QH, QI, QJ, QK, QL, RA, RB, RC, RD, RE, and RF.

Last edited by robt57; 09-21-2023 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
I gave up completely on Shimano after the 12 speed XT/XTR shifter debacle and the (still ongoing) defects in their Servowave mountain bike brakes.
whats the problem with the 12 speed shifters?
Old 09-21-2023, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
This. Even if your crank passes their visual "inspection", would you feel comfortable using it? I wouldn't. That reported number of failures is way too high.
Personally I'm ok with riding my "recalled" cranks for now because I think I have a good idea of what the impending failure looks like, and I'll occasionally check for it. Of course, nobody really knows how rapidly the failure develops.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:25 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
From an engineering standpoint, I say this is a completely bumbled recall.

If a product has a known failure mode and requires either inspection or replacement, you can't just set a one time inspection point and bless the thing for the rest of it's life.
My thought is the LBS OKs them, then they fail. Now the LBS has more liability than previous. What the Fudge?

Quote:
Personally I'm ok with riding my "recalled" cranks for now because I think I have a good idea of what the impending failure looks like, and I'll occasionally check for it. Of course, nobody really knows how rapidly the failure develops.
From all the readings, seems the catastrophic fails were the 'I wondered why it was creaking cases'

Anyone else gleam that?

Last edited by robt57; 09-21-2023 at 09:27 AM.