Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2023, 01:49 PM

Oh Clucking Bell(ingham), that bad bad man is at it again! In just a few games, he's scored more clutch goals than what other would take seasons to score.

On the field, he could potentially be a badder man than Benzema.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Oh Clucking Bell(ingham), that bad bad man is at it again! In just a few games, he's scored more clutch goals than what other would take seasons to score.

On the field, he could potentially be a badder man than Benzema.
Eh Benzema is a legend and a very different kind of player, but I've been so impressed by Bellingham so far. He does have that special knack for being in the right place at the right time as the games end.

Hopefully I can get a game in at the Bernabeu if we go over for Christmas.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
Eh Benzema is a legend and a very different kind of player, but I've been so impressed by Bellingham so far. He does have that special knack for being in the right place at the right time as the games end.

Hopefully I can get a game in at the Bernabeu if we go over for Christmas.
Oh man, please don't tell me you are a RM fan

Jest aside, that's still oodles better than a Man City fan or a PSG fan. It's just that I've had enough watching them do their (legal) black magic stuff that no other team would even dare try.

And for full disclosure, and I think many here know it, I'm full-on plastic, but I've been following Herr Klopp's team for the past 6 seasons or so, more for Klopp than for the team. And yes, i know, his team plays in the Europa League this year. I think there's a chant for mocking participation in this tournament.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Oh man, please don't tell me you are a RM fan

Jest aside, that's still oodles better than a Man City fan or a PSG fan. It's just that I've had enough watching them do their (legal) black magic stuff that no other team would even dare try.

And for full disclosure, and I think many here know it, I'm full-on plastic, but I've been following Herr Klopp's team for the past 6 seasons or so, more for Klopp than for the team. And yes, i know, his team plays in the Europa League this year. I think there's a chant for mocking participation in this tournament.
so my mother is from Madrid, and I've been given RM kit since I was a child by half of my cousins there (a few are Atleti fans).. So I count myself as a doubting Real Madrid fan. Before this season I was getting worried some about them losing their identity and traditional Spanish core around the galacticos but that looks to be changing some this season with Joselu, Fran Garcia, and Brahim coming back.

I really follow 3 teams, Real Madrid, Celta Vigo (dad's family was from there, and Aspas is just incredible), and Real Oviedo in the second division since my grandmother followed them during their golden era in the 40s as a kid.
Old 09-20-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Dortmund bottling it, Refs in general and VAR in particular making a complete mess of the handball rule. So no surprises here
How does one say “squeaky bum time” in German?

Squeaky rückzeit, vielleicht?
Old 09-20-2023, 04:03 PM

Quote:

Squeaky rückzeit, vielleicht?
Tuchel time?

That may just be a champions league thing that last few years though
Old 09-20-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
so my mother is from Madrid, and I've been given RM kit since I was a child by half of my cousins there (a few are Atleti fans).. So I count myself as a doubting Real Madrid fan. Before this season I was getting worried some about them losing their identity and traditional Spanish core around the galacticos but that looks to be changing some this season with Joselu, Fran Garcia, and Brahim coming back.

I really follow 3 teams, Real Madrid, Celta Vigo (dad's family was from there, and Aspas is just incredible), and Real Oviedo in the second division since my grandmother followed them during their golden era in the 40s as a kid.
It’s all good . Hope you guys get a good viewing experience at the Bernabeu.

Though you’ll have to excuse me when i post “the game in Spain is played mainly in the brain” type of quips when the national team gets trounced despite having >70% possession.

As an ardent fan of USMNT, it’s just about all I have: schadenfreude when the big teams get upset.

Last edited by echappist; 09-20-2023 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:30 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
In Germany and especially as a Bayern supporter, we don't do squeaky bum time, so we have no word for it. Squeaky Bum time is what the other team has, in the rare event they have a lead on us late in the game.
if you are referring to the CL opener, that wasnt squeaky bum either. That was us reluctantly leaving the Oktoberfest for a few absent-minded hours to quickly put 4 in the net of the greatest team of England and thus of the world and of all time 4 (with 3 goal post hits to add)

Last edited by martl; 09-22-2023 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
In Germany and especially as a Bayern supporter, we don't do squeaky bum time, so we have no word for it. Squeaky Bum time is what the other team has, in the rare event they have a lead on us late in the game.
if you are referring to the CL opener, that wasnt squeaky bum either. That was us reluctantly leaving the Oktoberfest for a few absent-minded hours to quickly put 4 in the net of the greatest team of England and thus of the world and of all time 4 (with 3 goal post hits to add)
Surely there's a neologism for it, if for nothing out other than getting dumped out of the 2018 WC by South Korea in injury time on the counter or getting done in by Japan late in the match at the 2022 WC?

Seeing Teutonic hubris brought down to earth is never not funny. I struggle to think of a word to describe such an emotion

As for the other comments about Man. Utd. being the greatest English team and Bayern is confident about holding onto injury-time lead, Ole says hi.

All in good jest, the above

Last edited by echappist; 09-22-2023 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:19 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Surely there's a neologism for it, if for nothing out other than getting dumped out of the 2018 WC by South Korea in injury time on the counter or getting done in by Japan late in the match at the 2022 WC?

Seeing Teutonic hubris brought down to earth is never not funny. I struggle to think of a word to describe such an emotion

As for the other comments about Man. Utd. being the greatest English team and Bayern is confident about holding onto injury-time lead, Ole says hi.

All in good jest, the above
the word you were looking for is, i believe, "Schadenfreude". Or was it "Treppenwitz"?

for that squeaky bum-thing, i can offer "Torschlusspanik" resp. in this case "Torschusspanik" may be more appropriate, but it really means the Angst of not getting something done in times, as oppesd to getting something done *to you* in time.
Barca 1999 is referred to as "Weltschmerz" and the performances of Yogis late years can be described as "Kindergarten". We do have the term of "Hosen voll" but i have not seen it used in connection with a timeframe; there is no "Hosen-Voll-Zeit" and igf there was, it wasnt wednesday night. If U had actually pulled a 3rd hail mary - and we all know their pact with the devil (red) only covers 2 of those- Müller would just have told Tel to score another one and pronto, because the "last-Order" time im Schottenhammel was approaching.

I know for fact who the greatest team of all etcetera is because i'm a reader, or should i say pupil of the "Redcafe" forums. I learned that Musiala can't be all that good but we will never know because he never played on a rainy tuesday night in Stoke. Also the members are currently convincing themselves they were the better team but got cheated by the great VAR Conspiracy - and they havent even noticed Musialas handball before the 2-0!
#
I imagine, the match will enter club folklore as one of their greatest matches ever in a few weeks time.

Last edited by martl; 09-22-2023 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the post. I really do appreciate it and will try to add a few more German words into my meager vocab.

Sometimes I wish I learned German instead of French back in high school, if for nothing else so that I can understand what Nena and Peter Schilling are singing in their native tongue.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:46 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Thanks for the post. I really do appreciate it and will try to add a few more German words into my meager vocab.

Sometimes I wish I learned German instead of French back in high school, if for nothing else so that I can understand what Nena and Peter Schilling are singing in their native tongue.
you dont want to know
Old 10-03-2023, 02:31 PM

Rather entertaining start to the Napoli v Real match, at least for neutrals.

Goal a piece due to mistakes.

Typed too quickly. Clucking bell, that bad bad man strikes again!

Last edited by echappist; 10-03-2023 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-08-2023, 04:44 PM

My oh my, two North London teams at the top of the table, and City looks properly vulnerable without Rodri.
Old 10-28-2023, 10:49 AM

Ooph, that bad bad man is at it again. This time with a thunderstrike form 25 meters out...

Game tied at El Classico. Barça is probably ruing all those missed chances from earlier.

ETA, and now he’s scored the winner.

Last edited by echappist; 10-28-2023 at 11:13 AM.