Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2024, 04:50 PM

'Neo-retro' 26" suspension fork

Rebuilding my 2001 Hunter hardtail mountain bike and was looking for insight on suspension forks. I currently have an old Fox fork which is pretty clapped out, I could rebuild, but I bought it cheap and have never liked the color (currently white vs. black or silver, which i would prefer).

Looking for the old school standard: 26 inch, 1-1/8" straight steerer, threadless, 9 x 100mm quick release, disc brake, ~100mm travel, ~40mm offset.

I know it's an outdated standard, but looking for opinions on new forks available. What is the best out there? Looks like some options are made for e-bikes; can these be used with regular mtn bikes, or would the weight difference be an issue?

A couple options I am looking at online...

Manitou Markhor 26" Fork - ~$300 (example)
Rock Shox Reba RL Solo Air A6 26" Fork - ~$400 (example)
SR Suntour Epixon-9 LO R Suspension Fork - ~$230 (example)

Does anyone have experience with these? Does Fox have any new 26" offerings I am missing??

*not interested in full suspension, 27.5", 29", thru axle, rigid, cantilever/ v-brake, et cetera*

Last edited by Lund; 04-14-2024 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2024, 05:42 PM

You might reach out to Bath Cycle and Ski here in Maine. They have a legendary basement with lots of retro parts. https://www.instagram.com/p/C5tEgvls..._web_copy_link

David
Old 04-14-2024, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
You might reach out to Bath Cycle and Ski here in Maine. They have a legendary basement with lots of retro parts. https://www.instagram.com/p/C5tEgvls..._web_copy_link

David
Thanks for the link & response!

Maybe this is the crux of my dilemma: Have forks come so far in the last 20 years that is it worth buying a new one vs. rehabbing an old top-of-the-line fork from back in the day?
Old 04-14-2024, 06:33 PM

I can’t answer that— still riding my Marzocchi bomber in ignorant bliss!

David
Old 04-14-2024, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund View Post
Maybe this is the crux of my dilemma: Have forks come so far in the last 20 years that is it worth buying a new one vs. rehabbing an old top-of-the-line fork from back in the day?
A cheaper fork probably is not much different inside than an older fork.

But, it would also be 100% new and 100% hassle free to bolt on and go - it has become difficult to both find parts for, and find someone to to work on these old forks.

I'm fighting the same question with an old Specialized FSX 'Future Shock' fork on a 90's s-works M2 hardtail. I changed the seals, fluid and o-rings myself and its not quite right, so I'm farming it out. Is there a better option, I'm not sure, but, the rest of the bike is complete and period correct so I feel kind of stuck trying to keep it that way.
Old 04-14-2024, 07:13 PM

Of those, the Manitou has the best rebound damper. It also can be modified to have a much better compression damper.
Old 04-14-2024, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Of those, the Manitou has the best rebound damper. It also can be modified to have a much better compression damper.
its also on sale

https://hayesbicycle.com/collections...oducts/markhor