Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2024, 06:54 PM
#RYFB

Workstand TA adapter

I need to prepare for being able to work on a TA bike. I have an Elite Workstand which has a sliding mount with two QR mounts, front and rear. I first considered getting one of those Yakima rack adapters but that won't allow me to mount via the rear wheel. I really don't want to buy a new workstand.

I see this Park Tools sliding mount that would, in theory, substitute for the Elite QR mount. In the Q&A on their site they say that the inner dimensions of the mount are 33.5mm square … I measure the Elite's crossbar at just over 30mm, so it seems it would fit and the slop might be OK given how it's secured.

So …
  1. Has anyone tried this specific combination?
  2. Irrespective of the answer to (1), if you have a fork-mount stand, what is your single workstand solution for handling both QR and TA bikes?
thanks

Last edited by cgolvin; 04-09-2024 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:59 AM
#RYFB

Bump for edits to generalize the request. Looking for the best solution to add TA support for my existing workstand.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:15 PM
Administrator

I do 90+ percent of work on my bikes in a seatpost clamp workstand, which obviously doesn't care what type of dropout the bike has.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:32 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I do 90+ percent of work on my bikes in a seatpost clamp workstand, which obviously doesn't care what type of dropout the bike has.
Right, I edited my post to make it clear that I am looking for a solution considering that I own a fork-mount stand.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:47 PM

My feedback sports stand came with all necessary adapters. This obviously doesn’t help you. Perhaps sharing a link to the stand you have would help. When I googled based on your post, it seemed like one could just swap out the end caps, but I suspect you may have a different stand. https://www.elite-it.com/en/products...hru-axle-15-mm
Old 04-09-2024, 09:09 PM

Re:

You can probably still use the QR mount... just take out the QR, run it through the frame and screw the end cap back down to where you can use the cam to grip the drop-outs.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:11 PM
Vendor

This is my hack. I used a piece of scrap EMT as a thru-axle spacer. I have a 100 mm and 110mm piece that I swap between depending on what bike is in the stand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7094-compressed.jpg (115.0 KB, 201 views)
Old 04-10-2024, 11:43 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa86 View Post
My feedback sports stand came with all necessary adapters. This obviously doesn’t help you. Perhaps sharing a link to the stand you have would help. When I googled based on your post, it seemed like one could just swap out the end caps, but I suspect you may have a different stand. https://www.elite-it.com/en/products...hru-axle-15-mm
Yeah, that would be helpful, wouldn't it (d'oh)? See below. I looked at the linked adaptors and it's not clear to me whether they'd work with my stand. FWIW, perhaps obvious, but the QRs are 100mm and 130mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart998 View Post
You can probably still use the QR mount... just take out the QR, run it through the frame and screw the end cap back down to where you can use the cam to grip the drop-outs.
OK, I can try this using a friend's bike first. I'm concerned about the extra cm, buy maybe my visualization is lacking.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:57 PM

Ok, not sure if it would work, but for my old QR truing stand I bought this item on eBay for about $5. It seems to me you should be able to grab drop outs from the outside? https://www.ebay.com/itm/35503261819...iABEgKylfD_BwE
Old 04-10-2024, 07:57 PM

I have a PRS-21 stand and purchased the TA adapter about 5 years ago. I had considered using wide zip ties to attach PVC tubing to the QR adapter with the releases removed. It might work.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:45 PM

Why not just use a Hurricane Fork-Up, Rocky Mounts, or similar car rack QR to TA adapter?
Old 04-11-2024, 12:22 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkalugi View Post
Why not just use a Hurricane Fork-Up, Rocky Mounts, or similar car rack QR to TA adapter?
Yes, as I said in my OP, I have considered that but it will only work for the fork mount, not for mounting via the rear TA when I need to work on the front end. Granted, the fork mount serves the vast majority of my repair work but I'd prefer a complete solution if possible.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:21 PM

Is it a Feedback stand? They make adaptors. I have them, they work.
Old 04-13-2024, 05:03 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW2Ford View Post
Is it a Feedback stand? They make adaptors. I have them, they work.
It's an Elite stand (see picture in post #8), not sure if the Feedback adaptors would work, will have a look at their site.

Edit: nope, the crossbar that holds the fork mount is a different shape, the Elite's is rectangular in cross section. Unless I'm missing something.

Last edited by cgolvin; 04-13-2024 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:54 AM

Deleted

Last edited by PacNW2Ford; 04-14-2024 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Info already posted