Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 11-22-2018, 08:33 AM
r_mutt's Avatar
r_mutt r_mutt is offline
Cat 6
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 紐育
Posts: 1,567
a quality set of tubs will drop you 300-400 grams.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-22-2018, 09:13 AM
R3awak3n's Avatar
R3awak3n R3awak3n is offline
aka RAEKWON
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC // Catskills, NY
Posts: 9,932
tbh I am not surprised those rings shift kind of crappy. I bet you can make them better but I doubt they will ever shift as nice as praxis. This is one of those things that loosing a few grams makes no sense on.

I think you probably gained some weight in the crank (hollowgram 2 is lighter right?) and etap is not light so it makes it hard to do a 13lb bike with etap.

But lets see some pics, I am sure it looks great and lets be honest 14.4lbs is a pretty damn light bike still
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-22-2018, 10:05 AM
bianchi10's Avatar
bianchi10 bianchi10 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 2,253
Here are some REALLY quick shots. wife was trying to get some things ready for Thanksgiving so I snuck out out lol


steering tube will be cut, I'm just playing it safe to make sure this set up works. Once I get out on a couple rides, it will be cut appropriately. Still need to make adjustments to saddle tilt, but the seat height is dead on and feels great.



This is what it should look like with that steerer cut..





__________________
My Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nickarend/
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-22-2018, 10:16 AM
Mzilliox Mzilliox is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Southern OR
Posts: 4,462
looking pretty damn good man. looks like a slightly more aggressive version of your last bike
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-22-2018, 08:29 PM
Climb01742 Climb01742 is offline
needs adult supervision
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Concord, MA
Posts: 13,309
Bad ass, man. The grams may be bumming you, but seriously? That’s sweet.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-22-2018, 08:54 PM
bianchi10's Avatar
bianchi10 bianchi10 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 2,253
*Quick update* Was able to make some FD adjustments and SO FAR the extralite chainrings are shifting very well. Been on zwift for some time with it now and no issues shifting with large to small what so ever. Obviously this is not real road conditions but its a massive improvement from what it was. I know several people have asked for feedback regarding these rings so i wanted to give a small update.
__________________
My Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nickarend/

Last edited by bianchi10; 11-22-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-22-2018, 09:11 PM
kophinos kophinos is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 89
It's my personal opinion that bikes are getting heavier. I built up a couple >$10k race bikes this summer (latest generation Factor O2 and Cervelo R5), both land in the mid-14s with all top-end components. Likely had something to do with all the broken frames and warranty claims of yesteryear.

Last edited by kophinos; 11-22-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-22-2018, 10:05 PM
bianchi10's Avatar
bianchi10 bianchi10 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by kophinos View Post
It's my personal opinion that bikes are getting heavier. I built up a couple >$10k race bikes this summer (latest generation Factor O2 and Cervelo R5), both land in the mid-14s with all top-end components. Likely had something to do with all the broken frames and warranty claims of yesteryear.
Yeah thats a great point. Specialized claimed their front fork to be sub 300g in their 2018 model. Mine weighed in at 342 I think (Cut down to 306 and will cut off another 20mm). I asked a friend at specialized why it was not the sub 300g like the 2018 and he said it was due to so many recalls for the 2018 forks. So that makes total sense.
__________________
My Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nickarend/
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-22-2018, 10:21 PM
hollowgram5 hollowgram5 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,461
I know it's totally a personal thing, but why worry about lopping that extra off the steerer. I guess I've always been of the mindset that a little extra steerer might bring more $$ later if the frameset were to ever be sold. Not everyone rides slammed, and it's not like it's in the way. It's not going to drop the total weight enough to even register. Also fit changes over time, and you might find you want to raise things a touch on down the road.

At the end of the day, it's your bike, so make it how you want it. The build looks nice, should be a fun bike! Enjoy!
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-23-2018, 07:32 AM
R3awak3n's Avatar
R3awak3n R3awak3n is offline
aka RAEKWON
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC // Catskills, NY
Posts: 9,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
I know it's totally a personal thing, but why worry about lopping that extra off the steerer. I guess I've always been of the mindset that a little extra steerer might bring more $$ later if the frameset were to ever be sold. Not everyone rides slammed, and it's not like it's in the way. It's not going to drop the total weight enough to even register. Also fit changes over time, and you might find you want to raise things a touch on down the road.

At the end of the day, it's your bike, so make it how you want it. The build looks nice, should be a fun bike! Enjoy!
I agree. I actually prefer the look of a small spacer, like 5 to 10mm. And on a carbon fork I would never not have a spacer on top of the stem. Sure pros do it but not recommended by any fork manufacturer.

The bike looks nice though, glad you got the rings to work better. Etap front is tricky to get to work right but once it does, its totally fine.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 11-23-2018, 09:13 AM
AngryScientist's Avatar
AngryScientist AngryScientist is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: northeast NJ
Posts: 19,788
first off, the bike looks great, and i'll re-iterate that i love watching here and your attention to every detail.

i'm sure i missed it upthread, but what do those enve wheels with tires run weight wise? i didnt think enve's were particularly light, and i've always kind of assumed that the price of entry into the sub-14 club included carbon tubulars.

there is almost certainly weight to be lost there right?

i agree with the sentiment above about carbon stuff, generally speaking, including frames getting a little beefier. i think the same thing happened with titanium years back, and even steel.

look at how many of those super lightweight steel and ti frames of yesteryear failed and cracked. i guess the industry has to find the lowest common denominator and then work backwards to minimum acceptable reliability.

anyway, great bike!
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 11-23-2018, 11:19 AM
bianchi10's Avatar
bianchi10 bianchi10 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 2,253
Thanks all for the feedback and compliments!

Yes the enve 4.5 clichers arent ths lightest option. At one point i thought about selling the enves to get the roval32 ince they are abiut 275g lighter, but i love my enve wheels. I built this bike for me for 1, so my thought and opinion was what mattered. I thought to myself, if i saw 2 of these bikes in a bike shop and all was the same but one had enve wheels and the other had the stock rovals, which one would grab my attention and it was the enve all day long. So i stuck with them.

The sworks power meter crank is super light for ehat it is. But still heavier than the hollowgram set i had on my evo. The proprietary sworks seatoost isnt light at all. I forgot the weigh it as i was deciding between the zero offset i bought and the 20mm offset that it came with. In my indecisiveness i starter with the 20mm and just forgot. Ill weigh it when i take it back out to cut the post and replace my saddle with the sworks. But the post is a fair bit heavier than the uber light deda i had on the evo as well. The front fork is heavier on the sworks as well. It is a personal option to leave the top spacers and i get what yall are saying and reasons why, but i will still cut it down and leave a 5mm on top. Right now im hoping ill get it down to 14-14.2lbs all said and done.

Fruatrated with the FD. Had it dialed last night. Came out this morning to make aime other minor adjustments and the shifting to large ring was all crap again! I didnt take the wheel off or touch anything since last nights zwift sesh when it was performing very well. Dont know why it would change of i didnt touch anything. Is there some sort of settling that can happen after making an adjustment?
__________________
My Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nickarend/
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 11-23-2018, 02:01 PM
R3awak3n's Avatar
R3awak3n R3awak3n is offline
aka RAEKWON
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC // Catskills, NY
Posts: 9,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi10 View Post
Thanks all for the feedback and compliments!

Yes the enve 4.5 clichers arent ths lightest option. At one point i thought about selling the enves to get the roval32 ince they are abiut 275g lighter, but i love my enve wheels. I built this bike for me for 1, so my thought and opinion was what mattered. I thought to myself, if i saw 2 of these bikes in a bike shop and all was the same but one had enve wheels and the other had the stock rovals, which one would grab my attention and it was the enve all day long. So i stuck with them.

The sworks power meter crank is super light for ehat it is. But still heavier than the hollowgram set i had on my evo. The proprietary sworks seatoost isnt light at all. I forgot the weigh it as i was deciding between the zero offset i bought and the 20mm offset that it came with. In my indecisiveness i starter with the 20mm and just forgot. Ill weigh it when i take it back out to cut the post and replace my saddle with the sworks. But the post is a fair bit heavier than the uber light deda i had on the evo as well. The front fork is heavier on the sworks as well. It is a personal option to leave the top spacers and i get what yall are saying and reasons why, but i will still cut it down and leave a 5mm on top. Right now im hoping ill get it down to 14-14.2lbs all said and done.

Fruatrated with the FD. Had it dialed last night. Came out this morning to make aime other minor adjustments and the shifting to large ring was all crap again! I didnt take the wheel off or touch anything since last nights zwift sesh when it was performing very well. Dont know why it would change of i didnt touch anything. Is there some sort of settling that can happen after making an adjustment?
You do have the little plastic piece that goes btw the derailleur and the frame/clamp right?
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 11-23-2018, 04:09 PM
bianchi10's Avatar
bianchi10 bianchi10 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
You do have the little plastic piece that goes btw the derailleur and the frame/clamp right?
Yeah I do. I just spent the last 2 hours at my bike shop while they tried to dial in the extralite chainrings. They changed plastic wedge to a different one that would work better on the Tarmac frame as I was still using the one form my evo which had a different tube shape. Unfortunately, no matter what they did, they could not get it to shift properly. I would work flawlessly on the bike stand, but once you got it on the ground it would just shift like crap. This tarmac is an amazing machine and the last thing I want to do is have shifting that is total crap. I could have dealt with it not being Dura Ace smooth, but this is unacceptable. For me, I'm glad I tried it and gave it every opportunity to work though. I would have always wondered if they could have worked for me. Now I know with my own personal experience that they dont. No harm, no foul. Back to praxis rings.
__________________
My Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nickarend/
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 11-23-2018, 08:29 PM
Matthew Matthew is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Muskegon, Michigan
Posts: 2,201
Wow, that is an incredible bike. Looks amazing!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.