Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 11-09-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi10 View Post
First off, thank you very much. I hope it will be as epic to others as it is for me.

I'm a pretty heavy user of Instagram. while there may be some influence because of seeing this bike in different variants of size or color, multiple times a day, I simply fell in love with the new 2018/2019 design when I first saw it. The bike itself is arguably one of THE best "can do all" bikes on the market. Will it make me that much faster? Marginally, if at all. Will it make it that much more fun to get out and ride? Yeah I would think so. I'm a bike enthusiast and admittedly, I have expensive taste. However, I do not make a crap ton of money. In fact through the years I watched someone do a build like I'm currently doing and think to myself..."How in the hell can they afford that!?!?". Let me tell you and anyone else reading this, that my build is coming from taking steps and slowly upgrading over the YEARS when I can. Anyone that followed my Cannondale Evo dream build can recall the parts I added from the first post to the last post. It was a totally different bike from top to bottom. When everyone was jumping to DA 9000 and DI2, I was still rocking DA 7900 till I was able to sell that and save up enough to cover the difference.

I'm very fortunate to build this bike. But I can tell you all that it has taken several years to be in a situation where I could do so.

I know I took a bit of a left turn to answer your question, but I wanted to make it clear that I'm not some wealthy retiree that is just able to waste money away. I have 1 bike and I take very good care of it. This bike will be an absolute dream. I hope that others will be able to follow along with the build and appreciate it as much as I do.
I’m watching this thread intently. I too am smitten with the SL6, specifically the Direct Mount rim brake version.

I’ve been seriously considering a major purge of the handbuilt bikes I own in favor of 1 bike that can do it all (for my type of riding) roadie.

The only thing that has kept me from starting down the road of N-1 is the pain in the rear of selling off, or parting out, bikes. Along with the exclusivity of the SL6 in my size in a paint scheme I can be ok with. Both the 2018 and 2019’s (in my preferred paint) in my size are gone.

I’m very interested in following this thread and getting your thoughts on how the bike performs in the scenarios that you ride. Please keep up the posting and pics of this thread.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo251 View Post
I’m watching this thread intently. I too am smitten with the SL6, specifically the Direct Mount rim brake version.

I’ve been seriously considering a major purge of the handbuilt bikes I own in favor of 1 bike that can do it all (for my type of riding) roadie.

The only thing that has kept me from starting down the road of N-1 is the pain in the rear of selling off, or parting out, bikes. Along with the exclusivity of the SL6 in my size in a paint scheme I can be ok with. Both the 2018 and 2019’s (in my preferred paint) in my size are gone.

I’m very interested in following this thread and getting your thoughts on how the bike performs in the scenarios that you ride. Please keep up the posting and pics of this thread.
Yeah I know how that feels. I originally wanted the ultralight but sold out before I could save the funds. Once I had the money available, it was gone. This will be just a good, but I wanted that extra 100g savings in the frameset.

If you have multiple bikes , I'd say part them out, save up some coin and splurge! Maybe leave one bike for that mental piece of mind. But for me, If i have a favorite bike, I would be inclined to ride that one more than anything anyway, if not solely. I can see the benefit to having a rain bike or bad weather bike though. But otherwise, out it all in one basket ad build a super bike that youd know you would love to ride every time out. Like you, I'm a roadie only and fair weather roadie at that. So I have no true need for anything other than this one bike. Maybe when I hot that lottery ticket that allows me to blow my money on several different bikes simply to enjoy havi g multiple bike just because, I will. But till then. I've always gotten well enough along just having 1 bike.

I'll definitely be adding photos and reviews as I go!

Cheers
Old 11-09-2018, 11:48 AM

Here she is! 777g for frame (Size 54). Fork seems a little heavy coming in at 345g, but i'll be cutting that. I thought the fork was supposed to be claimed sub 300g?

Old 11-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Administrator

i really love this frame, and i love the build process here. not a detail or gram overlooked. following!
Old 11-09-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know how that feels. I originally wanted the ultralight but sold out before I could save the funds. Once I had the money available, it was gone. This will be just a good, but I wanted that extra 100g savings in the frameset.

If you have multiple bikes , I'd say part them out, save up some coin and splurge! Maybe leave one bike for that mental piece of mind. But for me, If i have a favorite bike, I would be inclined to ride that one more than anything anyway, if not solely. I can see the benefit to having a rain bike or bad weather bike though. But otherwise, out it all in one basket ad build a super bike that youd know you would love to ride every time out. Like you, I'm a roadie only and fair weather roadie at that. So I have no true need for anything other than this one bike. Maybe when I hot that lottery ticket that allows me to blow my money on several different bikes simply to enjoy havi g multiple bike just because, I will. But till then. I've always gotten well enough along just having 1 bike.

I'll definitely be adding photos and reviews as I go!

Cheers
Actually, the frameset I want is @ Incycle Rancho Cucamonga but they refuse to ship it. I'm in Portland so for all intensive purposes, they are sold out. Maybe I can get my hands on a 2020?
Old 11-09-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Actually, the frameset I want is @ Incycle Rancho Cucamonga but they refuse to ship it. I'm in Portland so for all intensive purposes, they are sold out. Maybe I can get my hands on a 2020?
They won't even do a dealer transfer to West End? Weird.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Can help facilitate if you need. I'm local to their other shop in Pasadena
Old 11-09-2018, 04:57 PM

Seatpost - Zero degree offset Sworks post (Uncut) - 400mm so I would imagine I would cut off at least 50mm.

And already swapping things out for lighter and gooder! lol
no name top cap and bolt
Old 11-09-2018, 07:23 PM

This is awesome. I must say I'm a fairly anti-Big S consumer, but the SL6 bikes are intriguing...look great and the reviews are stellar. Clearance for 32s?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:55 PM

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Octalink once tested as I'm considering them for a build.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerJRP View Post
This is awesome. I must say I'm a fairly anti-Big S consumer, but the SL6 bikes are intriguing...look great and the reviews are stellar. Clearance for 32s?
In the disc model, definitely.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Octalink once tested as I'm considering them for a build.
You talking about the extralite octaramp chainrings correct? Just want to clarify.

I have had my reservations about it, but I've talked to a good handful of people all over the world who have them on their bikes, using etap or Di2 and they love them. The guys at Fairwheel have helped give me some hope in regards to the performance as they say it should be fairly equivalent to the shifting performance of my cannondale with hallowgram rings with my etap. Time will tell. Once I get this thing built up, I'll certainly be giving feedback on everything.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:41 PM

KCNC Ti Skewers
Old 11-11-2018, 03:13 PM

Ok, Let me rephrase this...I know nothing about Ceramicspeed OSWP. Are there advantages to having?

Im obviously using sram Etap.

Some concerns i have from what ive heard, but have zero personal experience with.

-Ive heard some folks say that it slows etap down.

-Ive heard it is loud

-I've heard that it can be finicky to set up

Thoughts?

Last edited by bianchi10; 11-11-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
You talking about the extralite octaramp chainrings correct? Just want to clarify.
Oops. Octaramp; Yes.