Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 11-24-2017, 08:11 AM
Sinter ember

Take a look at the new CAADX, too. It's high value for the full build. I would have picked one up, but the stack was a little too short on the 61. The geo is on the racy rather than enduro side.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:42 AM
needs adult supervision

For 60 years, the TdF was ridden on roads equal to or worse than gravel roads. How on earth did they do it without a gravel bike?

Everyone should have whatever kind of bike they want because, well, 90% of all our bike choices are about desire over need, but...

It's hard not to feel that the proliferation of bike categories is 95% marketing and 5% real progress.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
I would like to offer a counter argument. Mike Varley knows his stuff, he is often seen riding the dirt trails around his shop. I don't know him personally, but I have a couple friends who are very happy with their BMC. You can't always judge a bike by a spec sheet.
I'd beg to differ - usually, you can, especially at the "extreme" mellower end of the spectrum, per the MUSA.

In the OP's budget there's plenty of more lively options. That Parlee is a solid choice - or just snag one of the Hakka MX completes with carbon hoops for $4k. Flip it if you don't like it, you'll probably get close to retail.

roadbike/gravelbike rabbit hole: Riding semi-technical dirt on 23-30mm tires is totally doable (I see you, puffychested crowd), and I've done it a lot. Too much, probably, as the litany of punctured racing tubulars would suggest. Once I had a team inform me that I was not allowed to take my team bike on singletrack anymore. BUT - a "gravel" bike will make that type of riding a helluva lot more fun. YMMV, but big tires and big braking makes for a lot more traction, safety at speed, durability, and ridability.

Gonna ride out toward Varley's shop today. Maybe he'll be around.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 11-24-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
So far, an Open UP, Ibis' new Hakka MX, Norco Search XR...

I'm a metal bike dude (****, I own a ti Baum Corretto), but I think the best gravel bikes these days are made of fiber because of geo limitations (big tires!) and mass (discs!).

I'd look for something with flatmount discs, 12x142 r/12x100 f axles, 420-425 rear center, 16-19lb built weight, 70-80mm BB drop, 50-60mm trail, and lower stack depending on your drop.
That new Ibis hits so many of the sweet spots. If I didn't already have my Trail Donkey, I'd be all over it. The U.P. was the best bike I've ever demoed but for a bike that wouldn't be number one in my stable, it was pricey. If it were to be my one and only - if I lived near the Marin Headlands or your place in Oregon, it would be my first choice.

I keep two wheelsets ready for my Trail Donkey - 650B with 48s and 700c with narrower, more road friendly rubber.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaking20 View Post
I think all the niche bikes are stupid. The industry has gone towards a different bike for every road, speed, and tire. Fortunately, it seems like it's starting to collapse again in the form of "all road" bikes but I still cringe every time I hear "my crit bike", "my gravel bike", or someone needing 35mm+ tires on what's basically a road bike.

I love going fast on pavement. I love taking risks on fast and technical descents. I also LOVE the sound of dirt under my tires. There's a mix of serenity and childhood playfulness in riding past where the pavement stops - and I'll do it all on the same bike. I've done fire and logging roads on a Venge, Tarmac, Soma Smoothie, and Colnago. I've tried 28s on a wide clincher and thought the little extra compliance on gravel was totally outweighed by the feeling of riding in a car with blown shocks to get there.

I'll look forward to getting out off the beaten path with you next year - whatever bike you're on. I'll be there happily on my road setup with 25s... Maybe some 27s! :O
The thing is that some of these bikes are not "niche." The U.P. could potentially replace all 4 bikes you listed. It might be a little behind the Specs as a race bike, but not much. It is definitely okay as a group ride road bike and would blow the Soma away on dirt.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
For 60 years, the TdF was ridden on roads equal to or worse than gravel roads. How on earth did they do it without a gravel bike?

Everyone should have whatever kind of bike they want because, well, 90% of all our bike choices are about desire over need, but...

It's hard not to feel that the proliferation of bike categories is 95% marketing and 5% real progress.
What's old is new again...

Old 11-24-2017, 12:15 PM

Appreciating all the insights here.

With my love for all things titanium, I may just have to bide my time and see if anything pops up that would work...or sharpen the pencil on a new build starting with something like this:

http://litespeed.com/our-bikes/titan...re/2018-gravel

Or maybe wait to see what the tax-return fairy brings this year...and go all-in on a No. 22, or Potts, or ???

I'm sure the carbon gravel/stoner bikes are nice, but there's no way I'm paying that much for a plastic frame thats going to be ridden hard in rocky conditions. Just not my jam.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:33 PM

Here's a sort of generic shot of the Strong:

This is a preliminary build just to see what it's like to ride -- I'd probably put a drop bar on it for extended use, and it'll take a good deal more tire than shown (those are 36C Challenges). I'm kinda on the fence about what to do with it, because while it's really nicely made, by a marquee builder, it occupies a niche that I already have another bike in, at least as it's configured now.

Especially after seeing the photos of the roads around your area, I think you should have an opportunity to find out if you like off-pavement riding. I wish there was a simple way you could borrow this frame for a month or two, you could get a little more focus on what you want from a builder. Ya drivin' anywhere near Seattle any time soon?
Old 11-24-2017, 12:40 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Wait a few months, travel north and try my 333Fab AirLandSea with carbon fork (47mm rake) and the raked out steel fork. Mine will be a tad to big for you but I bet the large would be spot on for you. The larger sizes are built with PegoRitchie tubing so it should be that nice blend of light steel plus carbon fork to cut the weight.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:01 PM

Uh-oh...

Naw, do this: buy my Strong and I'll get in line for a 333Fab AirLandSea.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachagua View Post
Uh-oh...

Naw, do this: buy my Strong and I'll get in line for a 333Fab AirLandSea.
Lols. We should ALL get in line for a 333FAB it sounds like

Shoot me some measurements on your Strong - not sure what I'm gonna do, but never hurts to look - and I really appreciate the offer to try to work something out that allows some sort of taste-test
Old 11-24-2017, 05:42 PM

Last month I spent a week trying to talk a pal out of a custom GRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaking20 View Post
I think all the niche bikes are stupid. The industry has gone towards a different bike for every road, speed, and tire. Fortunately, it seems like it's starting to collapse again in the form of "all road" bikes but I still cringe every time I hear "my crit bike", "my gravel bike", or someone needing 35mm+ tires on what's basically a road bike.

I love going fast on pavement. I love taking risks on fast and technical descents. I also LOVE the sound of dirt under my tires. There's a mix of serenity and childhood playfulness in riding past where the pavement stops - and I'll do it all on the same bike. I've done fire and logging roads on a Venge, Tarmac, Soma Smoothie, and Colnago. I've tried 28s on a wide clincher and thought the little extra compliance on gravel was totally outweighed by the feeling of riding in a car with blown shocks to get there.

I'll look forward to getting out off the beaten path with you next year - whatever bike you're on. I'll be there happily on my road setup with 25s... Maybe some 27s! :O
Niche bikas are so weird.

Last edited by beeatnik; 11-24-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Shoot me some measurements on your Strong...

Here he is:

56cm seat tube center-to-top
56cm effective top tube
73 degrees HT and ST
43cm chainstay
163mm head tube
80mm BB drop
395mm fork height, 47mm offset

So overall, fairly conventional geometry. Just today I tried a 700X45 Fire Cross on the back, and it drags between the chainstays just barely... like I'd consider nibbling at the knobs to make it fit. The ride and handling is much more the feel of a road bike than that of a mountain bike (especially the way they're made nowadays, with top tube right into the next time zone) so it's not really in the same style as the Black Mountain... maybe more like some of the others you've been considering.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:49 PM

Lots of people ripping on the gravel bike thing as usual. Agreed that for most fire roads or gravel paths, 25s/28s are completely doable. So I get that if that's all it is, the dedicated bike seems superfluous. But I think it's evolved a lot. Lots of people are mixing in legit mtb single track with 40-50kms of road for killer rides that keep things interesting. Nothing like a mix of good efforts on the climb, and super fun off road on the way back down.

This is where something like the Chebacco, Hakka, Open Up etc. are perfect and in a league of their own. Riding on the road they have little compromise (obviously dependent on tire choice) but you can still handle legit trails including blues, and depending where you are, some blacks. The difference between 25/28mm and 42mm on a steep, rooty, rocky descent is the difference between walking and riding.

You can pull off a lot on some of these modern style cross/gravel bikes with tire clearance. Sure you're not going as fast as you would on an mtb, and it's more challenging, but they reward good line choice and build skill which carries over to mtb. I love how these bikes have evolved over the past couple years.

Add a few cm of damped suspension without much weight penalty in a few years and the possibilities will be endless.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:01 AM

Well, y’all did talk me into trying a gravel bike - it’s just not going to be this BMC.. The gent selling it was a nice guy, but the frameset seemed to not have been painted properly - like it didn’t cure and there were some odd areas of inconsistency in application. Plus, I decided I wanted to trend more to the performance end of the spectrum.

So I’ve got something carbon and Di2 and hydro and tubeless inbound at a great price that’ll let me try the rough side of the gravel and cross spectrum.

If I like it, I’ll keep an eye out for a good deal on a Litespeed Gravel frame to move the parts over to..

And if I love it, then case closed