Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 11-23-2017, 12:20 AM

I had a pink monstercross and did not love the geometry. It was stable as all get out, but also one of the more sluggish feeling frames I have owned. It was decent off road but not much fun on pavement in my opinion. You should have one built if that's the direction you were planning. You'll be much happier with something designed for your body and riding style.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Since the parade is still in the planning stages, you're only forecasting rain - and that's what I was asking for...

So, what would be a reasonable alternative that would check the boxes for someone who likes going fast on the road, and would presumably enjoy being able to move light and efficiently off-road as well?
So far, an Open UP, Ibis' new Hakka MX, Norco Search XR...

I'm a metal bike dude (****, I own a ti Baum Corretto), but I think the best gravel bikes these days are made of fiber because of geo limitations (big tires!) and mass (discs!).

I'd look for something with flatmount discs, 12x142 r/12x100 f axles, 420-425 rear center, 16-19lb built weight, 70-80mm BB drop, 50-60mm trail, and lower stack depending on your drop.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:57 AM

Since it's not my money:
I'd get a Moots Routt or a Seven Evergreen SL or a Mosaic GT-1 or an Open UP or a....

Or just buy any used lightweight zippy CX bike to try out gravel riding. If it's not your thing, no major loss.

Last time I was in River City Bikes, they had a whole bunch of Waterford framesets made specially for RCB that are gray with fluo green carbon forks that I think are going to be built up with discs, etc. Wasn't sure if they are road or gravel or whatever. Looked nice though.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:06 AM

Those other bikes you posted links to are all smaller than this Black Mountain, aren't they? I agree that the geometry of the Monstercrossers is toward the, uh, calmer end of the spectrum, but the one that emphasizes that quality the most would be one that's biggish for you.

Other thing I noticed was that you're not ruling out rim brakes, and that makes me think you ought to look at the Carl Strong dirt-road bike I've recently bought, which I might not end up riding much. PM me for some pictures if you like.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:19 AM
il Curmudgeoni

I agree with the majority, it's hard to see a downside to buying if you can get it for a good price. If nothing else it will get your toes wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but the geometry on that frame is barge-worthy. Couple that with a mass-positive (read: heavy) tubeset and obsolescent axle/brake standards, I'd move on.
I wish more people would start unloading those bikes with obsolescent axle and brake standards for a killer price....
Old 11-23-2017, 08:56 AM
n + 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
...I wish more people would start unloading those bikes with obsolescent axle and brake standards for a killer price....
I also hope people realize the subpar geo and dated tech, and sell to me at an appropriate discount. I will happily pedal the fat and sluggish 700c tires and learn to preemptively start making turns 300 yrds in advance.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:17 AM

Red face BMC rocks

Quote:
Not to rain on your parade, but the geometry on that frame is barge-worthy. Couple that with a mass-positive (read: heavy) tubeset and obsolescent axle/brake standards, I'd move on. If you're used to road racing bikes (as your extensive purchase history and previous threads would entail), it'll be a disappointment - like going from driving 911s to a long-bed diesel dually F350. Or worse - a box truck.

JMO, from someone who's ridden a lot of silly gravel bikes and has a road-centric perspective tempered by a youth racing MTB DH.
who needs a Porsche for off road?
weight is NOT cruciial
unless you are doing off road uphill TTs
Get this bike
oh, and Porsche is SO last century
go electric for real speed
Old 11-23-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I agree with the majority, it's hard to see a downside to buying if you can get it for a good price. If nothing else it will get your toes wet.

I wish more people would start unloading those bikes with obsolescent axle and brake standards for a killer price....
I think it's hilarious the "need" for all the new new. I've got three disc brake bikes that are all 100/135 qr and iso/post mount. I've never felt I 'needed' thru axle or post mount.

To Mr. Clean39T.. I'd say go for it. It will get your feet wet and give you an idea if it's something you enjoy. Hydros aren't a necessity, but they sure are nice to have. And, if I hadn't just sent a spare set of wheels to a buddy, I'd have a decent set for you! Might be able to part with something else, I'll have to look!
Old 11-23-2017, 10:03 AM
aka RAEKWON

I like the BMC but personally I would get something else. I have an elephant NFE and its awesome but I have been craving a "fast" gravel bike. Something like the open or hakka or steel with a carbon fork.

Not sure but based on the kind of bikes you like ridding, I think you will prefer the carbon/light steel with carbon fork, over that BMC. And I really love BMCs and that one is super cool, built by falconeer but imo and with what I have going on right now... and I would not get rid of my steel gravel bike because its also my light touring bike and its great at that and also great on gravel.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:12 AM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
So no, not in love with my groading foray so far.
I don't think I'd fall in love with groading either. Sounds like painful, unpleasant riding. I do, however like stoner riding.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:21 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I'll be the token contrarian. I'm still on the fence about groading.

Not sure it's my cuppa. And this is after support for two Reno2Cinos and dipping my toe into the groading business this year.

It's sold me more on hydro discs than anything. So no, not in love with my groading foray so far.
a lot of groading can be done on a road bike and its actually more fun on a road bike. Love having to pick the best path on 28mm. it is not going to be for everyone, I know some friends that hate gravel. They say its too bumpy.

I dunno, I went out into some small mountain in North Carolina. It was incredible. Road biked it, was excellent but the descents would have been amazing on my graveler.

Also, you should do D2R2, you will be into gravel I guarantee you. No cars, amazing views, awesome people.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Not to rain on your parade, but the geometry on that frame is barge-worthy. Couple that with a mass-positive (read: heavy) tubeset and obsolescent axle/brake standards, I'd move on. If you're used to road racing bikes (as your extensive purchase history and previous threads would entail), it'll be a disappointment - like going from driving 911s to a long-bed diesel dually F350. Or worse - a box truck.

JMO, from someone who's ridden a lot of silly gravel bikes and has a road-centric perspective tempered by a youth racing MTB DH.
I would like to offer a counter argument. Mike Varley knows his stuff, he is often seen riding the dirt trails around his shop. I don't know him personally, but I have a couple friends who are very happy with their BMC. You can't always judge a bike by a spec sheet.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:54 AM
aka RAEKWON

It really depends on the price of the frame. $1500, I would want something with flat mount and TA, $800, I would be fine with QR and post.

And nothing wrong with QR and post, at all, its all just fine but if I am going to spend a ton of money on something I want something current.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:11 AM

I've had my BMC Monstercross for, I think, 3 years now. It's gone through multiple build-design iterations transforming it slowly from a comfortable drop-bar commuter to a simplified, all-rounder in its current guise.

I went from 32 to 35 to 38 to now 44mm tires. And I want to go bigger.

Recently switched:
-2x compact to 1x 38t Oval chainring
-42mm Compass tires to BG Rock and Roads
-Soma Hwy1 bars to Jones loop bars and Paul comp Canti levers (so glad I did this whole cockpit change)
-Stock front fork for Black Mountain 55m rake black fork (less trail)
-185mm to 177.5mm Praxis Works crankset
-Wide range Praxis works 10 speed rear cassette

I also carry, what feels like, the kitchen sink with it. I carry tools (including a 15mm cone wrench for the Paul mini motos), full tire repair kit, hand pump, CO2 inflator, titanium spork (just in case), hand sanitizer, front and rear lights, front and rear racks and a front bag. Lock and cable is added and removed depending on whether I'm commuting around or headed to the trails. It's heavy but prepared for anything.

I use it for everything from getting groceries and carrying laundry to the laundromat to taking on the wonderful redwood lined trails here in the Berkeley/Oakland area. It is fun and annoying when people question your choice of being on what looks like a rigid road bike on the trails but I laugh it off and say the challenge (and the discomfort) is what makes it more fun.

Love this bike:

Last edited by toosahn; 11-23-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:28 AM

I think all the niche bikes are stupid. The industry has gone towards a different bike for every road, speed, and tire. Fortunately, it seems like it's starting to collapse again in the form of "all road" bikes but I still cringe every time I hear "my crit bike", "my gravel bike", or someone needing 35mm+ tires on what's basically a road bike.

I love going fast on pavement. I love taking risks on fast and technical descents. I also LOVE the sound of dirt under my tires. There's a mix of serenity and childhood playfulness in riding past where the pavement stops - and I'll do it all on the same bike. I've done fire and logging roads on a Venge, Tarmac, Soma Smoothie, and Colnago. I've tried 28s on a wide clincher and thought the little extra compliance on gravel was totally outweighed by the feeling of riding in a car with blown shocks to get there.

I'll look forward to getting out off the beaten path with you next year - whatever bike you're on. I'll be there happily on my road setup with 25s... Maybe some 27s! :O

Last edited by Imaking20; 11-23-2017 at 11:32 AM.