Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 11-22-2017, 08:04 PM

2018 Chebacco LE

Thanks Mods!

-----------------

Bumping this thread in stead of creating a new one - go to page 5 for the update if interested..

------------------

Alright, so I'm kinda being won over by the idea of having a gravel/fireroad bike, and there's a 59cm BMC MUSA frameset available locally at a good price in unridden condition that has me thinking I should go ahead and take the plunge. I'd use it for some wet-weather commuting, but primarily want it for opening the opportunity to do some endurance dirt events in 2018 and generally having the ability to get off the road a couple times a week and away from the cars - there's a great network of logging roads in NW Oregon to explore, and the thought of doing so rings a lot of nostalgia bells for how I spent my teens in rural SW WA (albeit on rigid 26ers most of the time). The fit numbers add up for me, I dig the color, and I like the "made here" aspect, especially at a price that isn't that much over the standard monstercross. And I think I have most of what I need to build it up with wide-range on/off-road gearing..

The gentleman with it for sale is coming back into town end of the week, so I need to make up my mind before too long.

Thoughts? Has anyone not loved their foray into the world of gravel and dirt...or is it pretty much peanut butter and bananas once you jump in?

This wouldn't mean getting rid of anything road-wise for me (I think I'd still want my Davidson for road endurance rides), but would push off doing something ti and custom in the all-road/disc realm that I'd otherwise been thinking about as my 2018 project.

Last edited by Clean39T; 02-11-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:14 PM
Descent fitness

My favorite riding each year is the week or two we spend on the Oregon coast (Waldport) where I get to ride Forest Service roads on my Moots Psychlo-X. I can't imagine you won't LOVE it. The BMC seems tailor-made for this sort of riding. If it's an itch, you definitely need to scratch it, and maybe we'll ride together next summer.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Thoughts? Has anyone not loved their foray into the world of gravel and dirt...or is it pretty much peanut butter and bananas once you jump in?
I never finish a ride and think to myself "I wish I spent more time on tarmac with cars".

I often finish a ride and think to myself "I wish we had more/flatter fireroads around here".

That said, peanut butter and bananas sounds awful to me...
Old 11-22-2017, 08:47 PM
Administrator

its my opinion that if you live where you do, and you do....

you are missing a huge opportunity and a huge network of fun stuff if you never venture off pavement.

you definitely want to own a fat tire bike and get off the blacktop at leat a little.

i'm a big fan of black mountain and all they do. good choice.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:49 PM

I'll be the token contrarian. I'm still on the fence about groading.

Not sure it's my cuppa. And this is after support for two Reno2Cinos and dipping my toe into the groading business this year.

It's sold me more on hydro discs than anything. So no, not in love with my groading foray so far.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:01 PM

I wouldn't hesitate and that's not based on the whether you're going to like gravel stuff aspect. It's based on the equipment. It's US made, fits, color works for you and the price sounds really good. Get it and try it out especially for where you live and the access to trails. Worst case you sell for probably close to what you paid. I've looked at these frames a few times and they seem very nicely made.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:04 PM

There’s nothing like a 25mm tire and smooth roads for that feeling of flight, but you always gotta deal with cars. Gravel riding is slower and not as fluid, but a nice ‘road-oriented’ gravel bike is a perfect choice to do it all.

I personally would love a disc braked BMC - I’ve heard nothing but good about these bikes. I wish it was 1/3 size smaller and I would grab it from you once you kick it to the curb!!
Old 11-22-2017, 09:41 PM
n + 3

Dirt road riding appealed to me right away. No cars, just enough “tech” to keep things interesting, and fantastic scenery. I’ve been wanting a BMC but they’re out of stock until next year. If that were a 56, I’d be fightin you for it. Get it and ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B2816EF7-FB40-4A96-A168-72830FA97A2E.jpg (140.8 KB, 1222 views)
Old 11-22-2017, 09:46 PM
aka RAEKWON

when I was in PDX for summer, I did some crazy amazing dirt routes. Did also an amazing camping trip, all through some crazy gravel, it was AMAZING. I am surprised you don't have a gravel bike yet.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:52 PM

Realizing of course that I just walked into a record store and admitted I didn't have a copy of Blonde on Blonde...

Y'all are probably right. Low risk, potentially high reward. I might as well give it a whirl...

Will report back on whether it all comes together.

And then be posting a WTB on some flared 42/44cm drops and a 135/100 QR disc wheelset...

If I do get it, the 2018 goal will be to ride the Gorge Backcountry route.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:37 PM

I've been doing some great unpaved rides in Gifford Pinchot NF, Mt Hood NF and down in Bend this past year. Pretty relaxing riding compared to hugging the road side on Skyline and Hwy 30. I'm digging not worrying about cars and pacelines. I think we have great opportunities up here and it's definitely worth it to try. Do you follow the Our Mother The Mountain guys' rides? There are a few others like Limberlost that post up great local offroad rides.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismo37 View Post
I've been doing some great unpaved rides in Gifford Pinchot NF, Mt Hood NF and down in Bend this past year. Pretty relaxing riding compared to hugging the road side on Skyline and Hwy 30. I'm digging not worrying about cars and pacelines. I think we have great opportunities up here and it's definitely worth it to try. Do you follow the Our Mother The Mountain guys' rides? There are a few others like Limberlost that post up great local offroad rides.
That sounds lovely. Any links I should look into?
Old 11-23-2017, 12:01 AM

Not to rain on your parade, but the geometry on that frame is barge-worthy. Couple that with a mass-positive (read: heavy) tubeset and obsolescent axle/brake standards, I'd move on. If you're used to road racing bikes (as your extensive purchase history and previous threads would entail), it'll be a disappointment - like going from driving 911s to a long-bed diesel dually F350. Or worse - a box truck.

JMO, from someone who's ridden a lot of silly gravel bikes and has a road-centric perspective tempered by a youth racing MTB DH.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 11-23-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:09 AM

OMTM: http://www.omtm.cc/

Unpaved: https://ridewithgps.com/ambassadors/98-unpaved

Even Travel Oregon has some gravel rides posted: https://traveloregon.com/things-to-d...gravel-riding/

Some organized rides:
The Oregon Coastal Epic: http://www.oregontriplecrown.com/ind...on-gravel-epic

The Sasquatch Duro: http://www.oregontriplecrown.com/ind...sasquatch-duro

Also the Gorge Roubaix series was expanded to three rides last year. And The Dalles Mtn 60 runs every spring.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but the geometry on that frame is barge-worthy. Couple that with a mass-positive (read: heavy) tubeset and obsolescent axle/brake standards, I'd move on. If you're used to road racing bikes (as your extensive purchase history and previous threads would entail), it'll be a disappointment - like going from driving 911s to a long-bed diesel dually F350. Or worse - a box truck.

JMO, from someone who's ridden a lot of silly gravel bikes and has a road-centric perspective tempered by a youth racing MTB DH.
Since the parade is still in the planning stages, you're only forecasting rain - and that's what I was asking for...

So, what would be a reasonable alternative that would check the boxes for someone who likes going fast on the road, and would presumably enjoy being able to move light and efficiently off-road as well?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-DeSalv...oAAOSw0wRaFhWG ???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parlee-Cheb...gAAOSwl9RaDyib ???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rocky-Mount...oAAOSwdjdaFZk6 ???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEECH-Custo...kAAOSwrfVZVW57 ???

Last edited by Clean39T; 11-23-2017 at 12:42 AM.