Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 09-08-2018, 05:31 PM

Raw Caadmuter

So if you've seen my other thread on here, you'll know I have a thing for Cannondales with the raw aluminum finish... (see my raw Caad10 here)

Apparently that wasn't enough aluminum for my stable, so a few years ago I came across a good deal on a matching CaadX with the raw finish that I couldn't pass up. It had stock 105 5700 components at the time, and over the last couple years I've slowly replaced most of the stock components with parts to my taste. This has been my daily commuter for the past three years and it continues to be a ton of fun every time I hop on it.

Here's a rundown of the bike:
Frame: 2013 Cannondale CaadX 56cm
Fork: stock fork, plasti-dipped matte black.
Rims: H Plus Son Archetype (32h)
Tires: Panaracer Gravelking 700x38 slick (running them tubeless!)
Brakes: TRP CX9
Rear Hub: Ultegra 6800
Front Hub: SON28 dynamo
Headlight: Busch & Muller IQ-X dynamo light
Taillight: Cygolite Hotshot
Fenders: Handsome Cycles Mud Butlers, hammered aluminum in black (I'm surprised I don't see these on more bikes! Super affordable and they look great)
Crankset: Ultegra 6800 46/36T
Shifters, derailleurs, cassette: 105 5800
Seatpost: Zipp Service Course
Handlebars: Zipp Service Course 70 Ergo
Stem: PRO Vibe 90mm, 10 degree
Bell: Spurcycle
Rear Rack: Tubus QL3
Rear Pannier: Ortlieb Urban Commuter Bag
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0188.jpg (94.0 KB, 461 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0191.jpg (84.1 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0190.jpg (84.2 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0192.jpg (97.2 KB, 463 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0193.jpg (119.5 KB, 461 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0177.jpg (89.3 KB, 461 views)

Last edited by hoj; 09-08-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:24 PM

Love it.
I've spent many a day riding a bike to work; you did a great job on the build.
Very well thought out and I love the headlight placement. Nicely done.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:56 PM

Looks fast and fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2018, 11:05 PM

Wow! I like so many different things about this.

Question: How is that rack mounted? What about the fenders?

I love the utilitarian look of the aluminum frame. It just works, and looks like a blast to ride with that wide rubber underneath!
Old 09-09-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapkib View Post
Question: How is that rack mounted? What about the fenders?

I love the utilitarian look of the aluminum frame. It just works, and looks like a blast to ride with that wide rubber underneath!
The rack is mounted at eyelets near the rear droupouts, and then to eyelets near the top of each seatstay.

Front fender is attached to eyelets at the dropouts as well as the fork crown. The rear fender is also attached to eyelets at the droupous, as well as the seatstay brake bridge and a chainstay mounting bridge. All of these eyelets/mounting points were standard on the frame so it worked out nicely!

And yes, the wide rubber is a blast!
Old 09-10-2018, 08:37 AM

Looks awesome! I just donated my Optimo cross, but I always liked how it had thoughtful provisions for fenders and racks even though is was intended to be used as a cross bike.

Curious how your tubeless setup experience was with the Archetypes. Any tricks you want to pass on?
Old 09-10-2018, 09:55 AM

rad, i had no idea those had the holes to stick racks on em
Old 09-10-2018, 12:38 PM

nice
Old 09-10-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v531xc View Post
Curious how your tubeless setup experience was with the Archetypes. Any tricks you want to pass on?
Happy to share advice for setting up the Archetypes tubeless. I'll preface this by saying it was a bit of a pain setting it up the first time around because it was the first time I had ever messed around with anything tubeless, but I think I optimized each step below and it has been a breeze setting up the Archetypes ever since (I have two sets). If I were to do it today it would probably take me ~10 minutes to get both wheels sealed and ready to ride. My experience running these rims tubeless has been flawless so far (with lots of mixed gravel/road riding on a daily basis), and I feel very confident riding them this way. That being said, the rims aren't specifically designed as tubeless rims so you're setting them up at your own risk.

Here's what I did:

1. Set up each wheel with two layers of Stan's 21mm tape. Two complete wraps around each rim seems to be essential (at least for me), as I was never able to get the tires to seal with only just one layer of tape.

2. Fit the tubeless valve stem and crank down the little screw thingy to make sure the rubber gasket/seal on the inner side of the rim is pressed up against the bed of the rim as tight as you can get it.

3. Fit the whole tire onto the rim, remove the valve core from the stem, and pour in 2oz of Stan's sealant. Replace the valve core. Make sure that the tire bead near the valve hole is sitting up flush against the walls of the rim.

4. With the valve stem at the 12 o'clock position, inflate with rapid bursts of CO2 using a CO2 cartridge (or a pressurized pump if you have one. I don't, I'm cheap). The tire should seat and you should hear a handful of "pops" as the tire beads seat up against the inner walls of the rim. I inflated the tires with CO2 up to 60psi (the highest recommended pressure for the tires I am using) to make sure that the tires fully seated.

5. Since CO2 supposedly interacts with the sealant and causes it to solidify prematurely, I then partially deflate the tire (not enough to unseat it! I probably drop it to around 20psi) to get rid of the CO2, then I pump it back up with a floor pump. I repeat this probably 5x to make sure I "dilute" out the CO2 with normal air.

6. Do the tubeless rim shake (or dance?) to make sure the sealant covers all surfaces inside the rim.

Doing it this way I have never had a tire come unseated or lose/leak air with the Archetypes. It was just the initial pains of figuring out each step in the beginning that was kind of a frustration, but I have had no complaints so far and I love the way they ride. Not sure how low you can realistically run the pressure on the Archetypes; I run mine pretty high around 45-55psi since the majority of my miles are commuting on road or hard-pack fire roads.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-10-2018, 04:42 PM
<3 Sriracha <3

Proper!

esp the fender line

great stuff
Old 09-10-2018, 11:24 PM

This commuter is so killer. Didn't realize these CAADs had rack mount eyelets. This is getting me thinking. I have a dynamo on my beast touring/commuter, but putting it on something fast for winter like this would be rad.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post

Hope this helps!
Definitely helpful. Sounds like a pretty straightforward tubeless set up. Just wasn't sure if there were any quirks, but the double layer of tape isn't too unusual for non-tubeless rims or even "tubeless compatible" rims. I've been planning on setting up my Archetypes with the same tires, too, so good to see it actually works for someone.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:14 PM

This thing deserves a bump up. Great bike with a whole lot going on!
Old 02-17-2019, 05:21 PM

Really like the look and functionality of this build. Just about perfect for the intended purpose as far as I can see. Nice job!

What can you tell me about the brake and lever combination? Those brake arms look pretty long-does the 5800 lever pull enough cable so that the levers aren't super mushy or the pads rubbing all the time?
Old 02-17-2019, 05:50 PM

Not the OP, but I have plenty of experience with the TRP CX9/CX8.4 and various lever combos. These CX9 are optimized for Shimano 5700/6700/7900 and later 11 speed groups. Sram/Campy better with the 8.4s.