Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 08-27-2018, 05:55 PM

Saddle width

I got cardboard and tried to measure my sit bones with widely varying results (95 to 110 mm). I was sitting on a low bench, femur parallel to ground. However, I was rocking side to side to make deeper impressions.

I then modified my technique. I soaked the cardboard for ~5 minutes, then sat straight down. Two trials resulted in much greater consistency, 105 and 108 mm.

Some sites say to add 20 mm, others 25 to 30 mm, so my nominal seat width should be 125 to 135 mm? Anything I'm overlooking here?

I'm a Bontrager Position 4, Fitness, rider (see here).

Some of the suggested seats I seen recommended are these:
Brooks B17
Brooks Flyer
Rivet Cycle Works
Selle Anatomica X-Series
WTB Deva
Thoughts and suggestions welcomed!
Old 08-27-2018, 09:24 PM

Sounds like you're doing a good job figuring out what you'll need, but finding the right saddle is hard and many riders spend their whole lives going back and forth from one saddle to the next. With Brooks, it's hard to tell a cyclist whether it's going to work or not since saddle choice is so personal. It's more like, You should give one a try. (Brooks is what I have on my bikes, the B17 and the cambium.)

I recommend buying one of the used Brooks that pops up in the classifieds. You can probably sell it for what you paid if it doesn't work out. Based on your riding style, it sounds like a Brooks would be a good bet but you'll obviously have to spend a while dialing in the fit, seeing if it works for the lengths of rides you like to do, etc. Even the most rigorous calculations are no substitute for time in the saddle.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:53 AM

Berthoud

If you want a leather saddle take a look at the Berthouds as they do come in various widths. I am very happy with my Aspin. Jan Heine sells them on the Compass web site. I found their quality to be very high.

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...-aspin-saddle/

Use a saddle cover with whatever leather saddle you buy.

Alan
Old 08-29-2018, 10:25 AM
Grey Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspur.serotta View Post
I got cardboard and tried to measure my sit bones with widely varying results (95 to 110 mm). I was sitting on a low bench, femur parallel to ground. However, I was rocking side to side to make deeper impressions.

I then modified my technique. I soaked the cardboard for ~5 minutes, then sat straight down. Two trials resulted in much greater consistency, 105 and 108 mm.

Some sites say to add 20 mm, others 25 to 30 mm, so my nominal seat width should be 125 to 135 mm? Anything I'm overlooking here?

I'm a Bontrager Position 4, Fitness, rider (see here).

Some of the suggested seats I seen recommended are these:
Brooks B17
Brooks Flyer
Rivet Cycle Works
Selle Anatomica X-Series
WTB Deva
Thoughts and suggestions welcomed!
If you're going to focus on leather skin saddles with hard metal frames, I'd say your sitbones need to fit between the rigid steel cantle plate across the rear. For the Selle Anatomica (first, you don't have a range of sizes available!), the overall width is about 170 mm, and the side margin to clear the plate is about 20 to 25 mm, so that aspect of the saddle is good for sitbone width up to about 120 to 130 mm.

At least with S-A, next problem is that the mid to nose section is not narrow. For some this is a concern but not for other riders. And you can't ignore that you must manage sag as the saddle stretches to its final position, by adjusting screw tension and saddle pitch.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:37 PM

Measuring sit bones

I started this with an account of how I measured my ischial protuberosities, coming up with 105-108 mm. The other morning I met an avid cyclist and we talked for some time about my latest foray into metrics. When I mentioned the width of said sit bones he said, "Are you sure? Because I'm 140 mm." So I doubted my methodology and measurements again.

When I got home I noticed the lines on my office chair again. I bought it 14 months ago and became aware some time ago that the seat cushion has developed two distinct parallel lines, especially evident in the directional light of morning. I'm the only one who sits in that chair. On a whim I got out the meter stick: they're 110 mm apart, so my wet-cardboard methodology was correct. Next time i see that cyclist I can say, "Yes, I really am that thin!"
Old 11-08-2018, 09:42 AM
Grey Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspur.serotta View Post
I started this with an account of how I measured my ischial protuberosities, coming up with 105-108 mm. The other morning I met an avid cyclist and we talked for some time about my latest foray into metrics. When I mentioned the width of said sit bones he said, "Are you sure? Because I'm 140 mm." So I doubted my methodology and measurements again.

When I got home I noticed the lines on my office chair again. I bought it 14 months ago and became aware some time ago that the seat cushion has developed two distinct parallel lines, especially evident in the directional light of morning. I'm the only one who sits in that chair. On a whim I got out the meter stick: they're 110 mm apart, so my wet-cardboard methodology was correct. Next time i see that cyclist I can say, "Yes, I really am that thin!"
Yeah, it's your pelvic bone dimensions, not of the lard (in my case) that surrounds them.