Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2018, 02:41 PM

Shimano 105 R7000 is here

Looks good. We can finally say goodbye to those hideous RS505 hydraulic STI levers.

I wish they offered sub-compact (48/32, or even 46/30) crank options though.

Quote:
Today’s road riders demand much more than pure on-the-rivet speed. They expect comfort, control and versatility from their bikes, and enjoyment and goal achievement to boot. 105 level riders expect the latest pro level features but they also want to do more with their bike than racing and training. So step forward the new 105 R7000 generation with customizable disc or rim brakes and wider cassette options to help you remain in comfort and control wherever you’re riding.

Coming with the high-end aesthetic and race characteristics of its Dura-Ace and Ultegra big brothers, the new 105 series also considers that most riders will use their bikes for purposes other than competitive racing. 105 is Shimano’s first level 11-speed groupset for those who are seriously committed to road bike riding, but that definition now becomes broader with the inclusion of superior handling and adaptable control to master different riding situations.

The biggest news for new 105 is the addition of disc brakes to the series line up. New flat-mount BR-R7070 calipers are compatible with ICE TECHNOLOGIES pads and UCI-compliant non-90 degree SM-RT70 rotors (including a new 140mm size) to offer greater cooling efficiencies. Brake operation is handled by new ergonomically shaped Hydraulic dual control levers (ST-R7020), matching the design of Ultegra ST-R8020 levers with a greater range of reach adjustment for different hand sizes. To provide even greater customisability, 105 R7000 offers a version of the dual control brake/gear lever (ST-R7025) to better suit smaller hands by being angled closer to the bar and taking more of an outboard position for better connection and to avoid interference with the handlebar drop during lever operation.

Whether from the rim brake (ST-R7000) or disc brake (ST-R7020/25) lever, gear shifts have been redesigned to offer faster and lighter shifts with a shorter stroke compared to the 105 5800 series. The front derailleur has a compact toggle (pivot) design, better tyre clearance and an integrated cable tension adjustment port (2-mm allen key) removing the need for an in-cable barrel adjuster. The optional long cage rear derailleur (RD-R7000-GS) can accommodate up to an 11-34T cassette and is designed with a low profile SHIMANO SHADOW RD style to tuck it below the cassette and chainstay.

Updates within the drivetrain include a new mid-compact 52-36T crankset, to add to the 50-34T and 53-39T cranksets, and new 11-30 (CS-R7000) and 10-speed compatible 11-34 cassette (CS-HG700-11) options to better suit gravel, adventure or CX riding. Together with this the inner crank ring has been positioned to reduce the effects of cross chaining or chain drop, better suiting bikes with disc brake criterium racing bikes.

Tim Gerrits, product manager at Shimano Europe: “Increased control and reaction were two points we concentrated developments on, combined with what people have always expected from 105, great versatility and value for riders. With 105’s suitability for a large portion of today’s diverse road bike styles we hope to unlock the potential of where and what it’s possible to ride on a road bike.”

New Shimano 105 R7000 items will be available on the market by June and comes in an appealing dual tone black colourway and an additional silver option for more classic bike styles.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:43 PM
aka RAEKWON

that looks real good. And yes, those shimano shifters were probably some of the worst shifters in history. These look great though, the levers do look like the rs-685. wonder if they just trickled down that design for r7000

Also interested in the disc hubs...
Old 04-02-2018, 03:50 PM

It says the design of the levers match that of the Ultegra R8020, which look pretty good IMO:

Old 04-02-2018, 04:52 PM

Disappointed there's no RX clutch derailleur. Looks like the 5801 FD revision was R7000 afterall. Hoping there's a similar 34-11 10-sp compatible cassette like the HG800 too.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:54 PM

Curious why your disappointed about no clutch? Do you plan on doing a lot of really bumpy off road stuff?
Old 04-02-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calnago View Post
Curious why your disappointed about no clutch? Do you plan on doing a lot of really bumpy off road stuff?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1vUoR6TFtI https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/ne...and-di2-52018/
Old 04-02-2018, 06:08 PM
なんでやねん

No electronic yet, or maybe still waiting to introduce?
Old 04-02-2018, 06:12 PM

Yes, I know what it is, and I know what it does. But unless I was riding super bumpy Roubaix type roads/terrain, I can’t see any benefit to it on decent pavement. Little harsher shifting. Plus, I didn’t follow what he was saying about it negating the need for a chain catcher up front. The chain falls off from the top as it is leaving the big ring. The clutch only tensions things from below. Can’t see how it would even come into play up front.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:23 PM

The people who use the hydro brakes may be riding that sort of terrain, esp with a 34 in the back. Once they announced the RX yesterday, I was hoping the 105 would have the option too. That clutch works pretty great with the MTB groups, which is where the shadow design came from.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:28 PM

Yes, great for the mountain bike stuff for sure. And really rough fast rocky roads too... not so much for smooth gravel. But on decently paved roads with a road bike... pass.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:31 PM

In their marketing language, they specifically mention "gravel, adventure or CX riding", so I agree that a clutch RD option would have been nice. Same reason a sub-compact crank option would have been nice as well.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
In their marketing language, they specifically mention "gravel, adventure or CX riding", so I agree that a clutch RD option would have been nice. Same reason a sub-compact crank option would have been nice as well.
Agreed on both counts. If this is as nice as my 5800 it’ll be nice indeed, especially for the money. Amazing value.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:55 PM

Hopefully they perform better than the 8020’s which are total crap, I am trying to warranty my warinteed pair of 8020’s as I write this. Both sets totally failed this winter, I guess they are designed to only work in warm dry conditions. The “worst shifters ever...105’s” will go back on for the spring, and I’m sure they will work flawlessy...but I have never been about vanity, only how they work!...

I have never heard of failures of the 105’s so could you let us know why they are the worst shifters in history, I want to know of the failures before they happen. What failures are you referring to????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
that looks real good. And yes, those shimano shifters were probably some of the worst shifters in history. These look great though, the levers do look like the rs-685. wonder if they just trickled down that design for r7000

Also interested in the disc hubs...
Old 04-02-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbike View Post
I have never heard of failures of the 105’s so could you let us know why they are the worst shifters in history, I want to know of the failures before they happen. What failures are you referring to????????
If he is like me, he was probably referring to the aesthetics of the RS505 shifters

What went wrong with your 8020 shifters; did they start leaking in the cold or something?
Old 04-02-2018, 08:22 PM

They didn’t leak, both times the lever snapped in the body... my personal opinion is that the smaller design and the mineral fluid freezing required more pressure to brake and the internals weren’t designed for the conditions.
The 105’s may not look great but they work, I’m OK with that!
None of my my bikes would win a beauty contest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
If he is like me, he was probably referring to the aesthetics of the RS505 shifters

What went wrong with your 8020 shifters; did they start leaking in the cold or something?