Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I never cease to be amused by how strong the anti-tattoo sentiment can be among some who are not in the least bit affected by the fact that others (like me) might happen to have a tattoo somewhere on their body.

It reminds me of H.L. Mencken's definition of Puritanism: "The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
Old 12-12-2019, 10:56 PM

If you are getting a tattoo...do not get it the day before you get an MRI. Just don't. Skin around the tattoo can heat up and burn, and the ink can run. It's usually the second part that gets people to come back in a week, but just make it easy on yourself. /PSA
Old 12-13-2019, 05:41 AM

I have a few tattoos. Each one comes with a memory of that experience and the people I was with at the time. Some from good times and others not. They are as much or more about those experiences and memories then the actual look.

I have not been tattooed since I was 27 which was about 12 years ago. Have thought about it quite a bit over the years and will likely finish up with half sleeves in the future. Mine have no color and I may incorporate some if I decide to move forward with the half sleeves which are already a third of the way there anyway. I will likely have my wife design something to incorporate with the others that are already existing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I never cease to be amused by how strong the anti-tattoo sentiment can be among some who are not in the least bit affected by the fact that others (like me) might happen to have a tattoo somewhere on their body.

It reminds me of H.L. Mencken's definition of Puritanism: "The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."
I don't get tattoos at all but would never try to stop any adult from getting one. I just can't seem to appreciate the appeal of the majority of them. Some simple black designs look interesting but the full color ones generally just look like bad hotel/motel art stuck on skin. It also reminds me how often folks live in the here and now as skin art rarely looks good on aging skin.

OTOH, I also fail to get why people wear baseball caps backwards! Unless you are a need to put on a catcher's mask or maybe put a camera up to you face I just don't get it. Like pants falling off your butt, guess its a style thing I'll never grasp.

Tim
Old 12-13-2019, 07:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I don't get tattoos at all but would never try to stop any adult from getting one. I just can't seem to appreciate the appeal of the majority of them. Some simple black designs look interesting but the full color ones generally just look like bad hotel/motel art stuck on skin. It also reminds me how often folks live in the here and now as skin art rarely looks good on aging skin.

Tim
Some do, some don't..a good artist is essential. There ARE a lot of ugly tattoos but also some amazing ones, IMHO.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:04 AM
Ex-Mr.President

I have plenty. Mostly Star Wars on my left arm, and IF tattoo, 2 Richard Sachs logos, some Frat-toos, anniversary (my wife has the same one) a wedding band as I lost mine, and some other small family ones.

My Star Wars sleeve needs work as the original artist didn't do as quality of a job as I had hoped and it is very unorganized, but I love the beginning so I am good.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
I have plenty. Mostly Star Wars on my left arm, and IF tattoo, 2 Richard Sachs logos, some Frat-toos, anniversary (my wife has the same one) a wedding band as I lost mine, and some other small family ones.

My Star Wars sleeve needs work as the original artist didn't do as quality of a job as I had hoped and it is very unorganized, but I love the beginning so I am good.
Ya know, a LOT of tattoo places do low $ tattoos on Friday the 13th(TODAY)..my son is going to get the below..small..about 2 inches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SW_Tatoo1.JPG (21.8 KB, 109 views)
Old 12-13-2019, 10:08 AM
Ex-Mr.President

You have to love the madalorian stuff. The show is quite decent.

I love that choice though.

I teach a lot of Star Wars in my class or use it to explain some of the science I teach.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyintense View Post
People with tattoos are more likely to commit violent crimes, statistically speaking.
I think he agrees...

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DumB.jpeg (23.2 KB, 93 views)
Old 12-13-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Work in healthcare. Set up IV's a lot. My fave is the person who says "I really don't like needles" while holding out their tattoo covered arm.
needles and tattoo guns are completely different animals. tattoo guns dont penetrate into your soul the way some needles do.

a tattoo gun is like an angry cat scratching the **** out of you, not anything like a needle penetrating.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Work in healthcare. Set up IV's a lot. My fave is the person who says "I really don't like needles" while holding out their tattoo covered arm.
Sounds like you need to learn about tattoos a little more, especially the origins and traditional methods.
I’m guessing you meant to have your comment be a joke but it underscores your lack of understanding in the subject. Furthermore, as a health care professional it should be your duty to try and understand and sympathize/empathize with your patient and not mock them.

And we wonder why stigmatized groups of people don’t seek healthcare....

Last edited by jtakeda; 12-13-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
needles and tattoo guns are completely different animals. tattoo guns dont penetrate into your soul the way some needles do.

a tattoo gun is like an angry cat scratching the **** out of you, not anything like a needle penetrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Sounds like you need to learn about tattoos a little more, especially the origins and traditional methods.
I’m guessing you meant to have your comment be a joke but it underscores your lack of understanding in the subject. Furthermore, as a health care professional it should be your duty to try and understand and sympathize/empathize with your patient and not mock them
Glad others said this. As a person who has no tattoos but is fascinated by them and is phobic of medical procedures and especially needles, I have sat with a buddy and watched during 4 hr tattoo sessions and had no issue. Now, walk by a needle drop box in a public washroom and I get sweaty, queasy and nervous.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:38 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:

my wife and I watch "Ink Master" which is an over the top 'reality' tattoo competition show -- sort of a guilty pleasure, since neither of us have tattoos. For what its worth, that show has opened up my eyes to the artistry and technique required to be a good tattoo artist.

My biggest obstacle to getting one remains my failure to find a design/concept that I think I'd like for many years to come.

I did recently find this artist, Melissa Baker, that has done some pieces I really enjoy. Of course, I found her after she moved from Boston to the west coast.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:

I also wonder if it’s something to do with control or teaching people “the correct” way to live in society, or something of that nature.

For me it’s a constant reminder of my commitment to an alternative lifestyle choice away from the status quo. If it prevents me from getting a job or turns people away from a relationship with me, then I probably don’t want to spend my time around those people anyway.

Last edited by jtakeda; 12-13-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:21 AM

Eh, I think this can get pushed too far... (don't worry I'm not a curmudgeon, and see my pro tattoo post a few pages back; have several myself). I guess I'd highlight the tension between the individual and the community; I don't think the concept of most tattoos will get in the way of people's functioning in society any more, except at some of the limit cases, and, could that be a good thing? see the face and hand tattoo phenomenon for instance. I guess maybe - going out on a limb here - there's a reason, like maybe we just don't obscure the face? Not a good idea? So we can look at each other, read emotions, know and be known? Maybe it's OK to set some rules/limits to have a healthy functioning world? IDk.

Anyway, what I am getting at is the outcome of the radical assertion of the individual over community not sounding too good to me. Seems like a path to a lot of lonely people.