Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Disagree. I recommend credible news outlets, like the WSJ. Many others seem to only be in the "sensationalizing" business.

"Winning" is not the reason, the core reason is to negotiate better trade deals for our country. Doing it with groups of nations is ideally the best way on would think...if it works. But sometimes doing it nation by nation might yield better results. Ideally there would be no tariffs, and and no subsidizing. In reality however, this will never exist.

If tariffs do not work from a historical perspective, then why have countries not eliminated them?
You obviously have not been paying attention. Winning is exactly the number one reason for every action by orangeatan. Winning and being Bigly is all he cares or knows about. This is us playing bully, acting as though the richest nation on earth, who has become so by exploitation, doesn't owe anything to anyone else, and in fact is getting shafted. Same attitude that I dislike in humans, so why is it flattering for a nation? im bored of this presidency, its become so predictable and nonsensical.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Disagree. I recommend credible news outlets, like the WSJ. Many others seem to only be in the "sensationalizing" business.

"Winning" is not the reason, the core reason is to negotiate better trade deals for our country. Doing it with groups of nations is ideally the best way on would think...if it works. But sometimes doing it nation by nation might yield better results. Ideally there would be no tariffs, and and no subsidizing. In reality however, this will never exist.

If tariffs do not work from a historical perspective, then why have countries not eliminated them?
So what is "better"? What's the ultimate goal with our trade policy?

Is it cheaper goods for the end consumer? More efficient use of labor? Protection and indirect subsidy of US industries? Is it higher wages within the US and more blue collar jobs? If its the last question, I'm afraid folks will be very disappointed to know the answer to that one isn't going to be some magic wand of trade policy.

I have not seen this articulated in a way that makes any kind of sense from the Administration, other than some misplaced sense of American economic martyrdom.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:59 AM

Articulation and this administration are not two words that go well together
Old 09-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

I’m going to close this thread for now. It’s skirted on politics but stayed remarkably civil thanks to all of you.
We can open another discussion when we see what effects the tariffs have on day to day costs of bicycles and bicycle goods.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:59 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I’m going to close this thread for now. It’s skirted on politics but stayed remarkably civil thanks to all of you.
We can open another discussion when we see what effects the tariffs have on day to day costs of bicycles and bicycle goods.
Thanks!