Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 07:27 AM

Original SRAM Red Brake Calipers.... Longevity?

I own two sets of SRAM Red Black brakes, the original models circa-2008. Last night, I went to give them a nice, deep clean and lubrication. During that process, I realized that between the two arms, behind the torx screw, is a ball bearing hinge which has since rusted out, slowing the "open" process by adding friction. Additionally, on the 'back' of the caliper where the spring slides along a guide of one of the arms, is a plastic sleeve which covers the spring, and mine has deteriorated to total disrepair. This has lead me to a few questions:

1. Has anyone heard of Shimano requiring this level of maintenance with their braking calipers, from 105 to Dura Ace? I've always felt that their brakes had a stronger return spring compare to SRAM.

2. It appears that the current line of SRAM Force brakes looks identical to these older SRAM Red brakes. Can anyone confirm that? Perhaps they no longer use these bearings. I've checked weights of the two models and they seem identical, but hopefully they use some sort of polyurethane bushing rather than ball bearings.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankum View Post
I own two sets of SRAM Red Black brakes, the original models circa-2008. Last night, I went to give them a nice, deep clean and lubrication. During that process, I realized that between the two arms, behind the torx screw, is a ball bearing hinge which has since rusted out, slowing the "open" process by adding friction. Additionally, on the 'back' of the caliper where the spring slides along a guide of one of the arms, is a plastic sleeve which covers the spring, and mine has deteriorated to total disrepair. This has lead me to a few questions:

1. Has anyone heard of Shimano requiring this level of maintenance with their braking calipers, from 105 to Dura Ace? I've always felt that their brakes had a stronger return spring compare to SRAM.

2. It appears that the current line of SRAM Force brakes looks identical to these older SRAM Red brakes. Can anyone confirm that? Perhaps they no longer use these bearings. I've checked weights of the two models and they seem identical, but hopefully they use some sort of polyurethane bushing rather than ball bearings.
1...Generally speaking, IMHO, shimano and Campag calipers don't see this kind of wear and tear BUT, if you do, get the small bits and 'overhaul' the brake caliper..IF the small parts are available..BUT, 11 year old brakes..

According to sram small parts catalogs, whole calipers only.

2.Force are the same as older(2008-2011) red brakes..Since they don't provide any parts blowup, impossible to tell..
Old 08-21-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
1...Generally speaking, IMHO, shimano and Campag calipers don't see this kind of wear and tear BUT, if you do, get the small bits and 'overhaul' the brake caliper..IF the small parts are available..BUT, 11 year old brakes..

According to sram small parts catalogs, whole calipers only.

2.Force are the same as older(2008-2011) red brakes..Since they don't provide any parts blowup, impossible to tell..
I'm really thinking about trying out the new 105 brakes, the 7000 series. Or perhaps some older Dura Ace or Ultegra. I've always believe they have a much more firm bit and less "mush" anyway.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I'm really thinking about trying out the new 105 brakes, the 7000 series. Or perhaps some older Dura Ace or Ultegra. I've always believe they have a much more firm bit and less "mush" anyway.
I have a pair of 7700 brakes in excellent condition. PM me if interested.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:20 AM

Sram's more modern Red Aerolink calipers are a huge improvement over the Force or former Red options. A little finicky to set up, but perform as well as the campy or shimano brakes I have.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Yow, I have these same brakes! A friend of mine sold me an almost new set many years ago and I put it on my DS which I built up with Campy Chorus 11. Works great!

So the question I have is have you noticed any decrease in performance of the brakes? In other words, do the rusted ball bearing hinge or the deteriorated plastic sleeve cause any problems with braking?

Further, would lubing or even greasing the hinge help to keep it from rusting?

This is sad as I find these brakes to be very good.

Good Luck!
Old 08-21-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I have a pair of 7700 brakes in excellent condition. PM me if interested.
By 7000 series, I meant the 105 7000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
Yow, I have these same brakes! A friend of mine sold me an almost new set many years ago and I put it on my DS which I built up with Campy Chorus 11. Works great!

So the question I have is have you noticed any decrease in performance of the brakes? In other words, do the rusted ball bearing hinge or the deteriorated plastic sleeve cause any problems with braking?

Further, would lubing or even greasing the hinge help to keep it from rusting?

This is sad as I find these brakes to be very good.

Good Luck!
I find that they don't return to open as quickly as they should, presumably because of the poor condition of the hinges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonov View Post
Sram's more modern Red Aerolink calipers are a huge improvement over the Force or former Red options. A little finicky to set up, but perform as well as the campy or shimano brakes I have.
I think I'm going to jump ship to Shimano for brakes.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:00 AM

SRAM and Shimano have different pull ratios for their brakes. Not that the two don't work together or even work well, but don't expect it to work as Shimano or SRAM intended either.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:11 AM

Longevity depends on care, environment and use IMO. For example - humid coastal environment or a corrosive sweating rider can destroy all kinds of parts in short order. I had a neighbor whose sweat corroded through the clamps and handle bars where they attached on a set of 7700 shifters and the front brake because he never cleaned the bike or changed the tape. Not saying this is the case here, but not necessarily a Sram specific problem. 11 years is a pretty good pull IMO (no pun intended), if it was used regularly.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Longevity depends on care, environment and use IMO. For example - humid coastal environment or a corrosive sweating rider can destroy all kinds of parts in short order. I had a neighbor whose sweat corroded through the clamps and handle bars where they attached on a set of 7700 shifters and the front brake because he never cleaned the bike or changed the tape. Not saying this is the case here, but not necessarily a Sram specific problem. 11 years is a pretty good pull IMO (no pun intended), if it was used regularly.
This is true. I live very close to the ocean in a humid environment, I ride a fair amount, and even will diligent care I expect corrosion and rust. None of my campy, shimano or sram groups are immune to it.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:31 AM

I had two sets of road brakes do this.

The first was a set of 9-speed 105 calipers on my first road bike. The bearings in the pivots deteriorated after about 4 years. It was probably 10,000-15,000 miles. That was the only road bike I had at the time, my maintenance regime was weak compared to today, and I rode the bike in the winter through salt/snow/whatever.

The second was Rival brakes I got in 2007 when SRAM first came into the road scene. I had both the problems you mention but it happened in more like 2 years. I found that first generation SRAM stuff quite excellent on function but terrible on longevity/durability. Later SRAM stuff I tried the quality was better but the shifting in the front had gone downhill compared to the original stuff.

I found SRAM to be very frustrating.. they marketed very heavily on rebuildability/repairability with parts availability when they came out.. I had a lot of stuff fall apart with that first gen Rival stuff and the LBS never managed to get any parts from SRAM.. total snow job from SRAM.

My maintenance setup was a lot better by the first time I tried SRAM, so it wasn't that.