Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2019, 06:59 AM

Is there a "gravel/MTB shoe" that accepts a road cleat?

Hear me out. I have some power meter pedals coming to put on my Crockett because there's no clearance for a Stages (that I already have). Pedals of course are Look road style. My gravel (and even MTB) rides very very rarely involve dabbing or getting off the bike aggressively. I save that for cyclocross.

My idea is basically a road shoe with exaggerated heel pads and a V-shaped section of rubber tread on the toe. I've got an extra pair of road shoes that I might go all "Dr Frankenstein" on very soon.

I know this isn't ideal because of the single sided pedal, but for a long gravel road ride, that doesn't seem super critical.

Does a shoe like this exist already?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-17-2019, 08:02 AM

i'm pretty sure there is not. I just spent a bunch of time searching for road shoes or something that would allow me to have just one shoe for all rides. It seems that the MTB two-bolt system is going to be my set up for road and gravel. Right now I'm in the Sidi Dominators but looking to dial it down a little with a more xc specific shoe - I dont really need serious lugs for anything I'm currently riding.

I did come across some Shimano RT(road/touring) shoes that take both but this is the opposite of what you are doing but might be a good candidate for the 'frankenstein' project.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:10 AM

Thanks cuda. I've tried searching for this too and all I find are "can I wear MTB shoes on my road bike".

I don't need anything too aggressive either for tread. I'm thinking about having up a pair of old trail running shoes and basically epoxying strips of lugs on each side of the toe. Really I'm just looking for something to even out the height difference between the cleat and sole up front. Rear of the road shoe already has about the same "tread" as my Cambion MTB shoes.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
I know this isn't ideal because of the single sided pedal
Single-sided pedal wouldn't be my concern at all. Loads of people use A520 or A600 pedals for graveling, and they're plenty easy to get into. The main potential issue is the cleat getting clogged and losing the ability to clip in.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
Single-sided pedal wouldn't be my concern at all. Loads of people use A520 or A600 pedals for graveling, and they're plenty easy to get into. The main potential issue is the cleat getting clogged and losing the ability to clip in.

Reasonable concern for sure. But outside of a race, clearing a jammed pebble doesn't seem like a dream-killer IMO.

I have a new idea that required an Amazon prime order. So my little project is on hold until Monday.