Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2019, 06:50 AM

Secure clip-on saddle bags

Getting tired of doing and undoing my current strap/ buckle saddle bag on the commuter.
I know there are the clip-on saddle bags but have seen some reviews saying they have failed on some folks and they've lost the bag and contents.

What reliable brand of clip-on/ quick release saddle bag are you using?
Old 08-01-2019, 07:01 AM

I’ve got some ortlieb saddle bags with the quick clip system. I like them well enough. They have Velcro straps to the seatpost as a failsafe/stabilization system.

They do have a roll/buckle closure system though, so if you’re sick of buckles...
Old 08-01-2019, 07:22 AM

I have been using the Lezyne M Caddy QR on all my bikes for a couple years now, including one on my gravel bike. No issues to report.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:55 AM

How big is your bag and how much weight do you carry in it? What saddle do you have?
Old 08-01-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
How big is your bag and how much weight do you carry in it? What saddle do you have?
Fizik Aliante saddle.

I have the medium size bag, with the following in it:

- One spare inner tube
- Two CO2 cartridges
- CO2 inflator
- One pair of tire levers
- One multi tool (a pretty good size one with a built-in chain tool)
- Spoke wrench (three sided)
Old 08-01-2019, 02:04 PM

I've steered away from clip-on bags after finding a bunch of them over the years. Gimme velcro.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:15 PM

The Rixen and Kaul "KlickFix" and SciCon bags and systems are both excellent, very secure.

The R & K requires two fingers to press in a two-sided clip to disengage the bag, whereas the SciCon system is even easier: just grab the bag, turn 1/4 turn, and it is out. I have used both systems for many years, with never a single issue, on Fizik Arione saddles, on road and off. The bag/clip quality is very high on both.

The Fizik ICS clip thing is not good at all otoh; it is much too fragile.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:21 PM
aka RAEKWON

https://etsy.me/332eMvU

I bought mine from this guy. He can make any color you want. Nice bag, supports a small maker. I also hate tool rolls. With this bag I just unhook the clip and acess all my stuff without taking the bag off the saddle and then funbling to get it back.

ILE bags also similar and also very good
Old 08-01-2019, 02:24 PM

ToPeak
Old 08-01-2019, 03:02 PM

I guess it's the work of threading straps through the rails of your saddle that is a pain? Since my Brooks has bag loops it's pretty easy to attach/detach a bag with straps. Would a bag that strapped to the handle bar work for you? It would certainly be easier to attach/detach.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:08 PM

I've been pretty happy with my Silca Seat Roll Premio. It's not a clip but much easier to put on and remove than other strap-type bags I have used. Plus, it is très stylish.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:56 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
I've been pretty happy with my Silca Seat Roll Premio. It's not a clip but much easier to put on and remove than other strap-type bags I have used. Plus, it is très stylish.
I had no issues with the Fizik ICS clip bag - both the medium and small sizes. roads are good here and not much pothole or shaking.

That said, the ongoing reports about clip breakage left me wondering - if it broke off, would I even notice?

The silca seat roll premio with BOA is the answer BUT one needs to play around with the packing. In mine I have a latex glove, 700x28 tube, two 16g CO2, glueless patches, inflator head, two levers. paper towel, and a patch kit and glue.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:24 PM

This is the bag I'm currently using. It was cheap, on clearance at MEC which is our version of REI. It has extra buttons to keep it on the seat rails while you open the zipper for access. Good idea but it adds more work to put on and take off.
I use it to hold a tube for a 26 X 2" tire, levers, patches, Pinhead key. It's a good size with some room to spare. Measures about 5.5 X 4.5 X 2.5".

It's attached to my Charge Spoon saddle.

Not life altering, just one of those thinking/ wondering out loud things if there is something that can let me do a quick twist/ click in and out.
And Toronto roads are full of potholes, thus the need for a reliable clip. Don't wanna lose my Pinhead key.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MEC saddle bag.jpg (52.0 KB, 179 views)
Old 08-01-2019, 06:59 PM
v a n i l l a

those seat rail snaps would be a deal killer for me. PITA or sure.

get the grande

https://silca.cc/collections/packs-o...ande-americano

I've spoken to the BOA folks the past years at Sea Otter - in particular the guy who did the work with silca. you can crank on the dial and the dial will fail (extremely unlikely) long before the cord fails.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:28 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
those seat rail snaps would be a deal killer for me. PITA or sure.

get the grande

https://silca.cc/collections/packs-o...ande-americano

I've spoken to the BOA folks the past years at Sea Otter - in particular the guy who did the work with silca. you can crank on the dial and the dial will fail (extremely unlikely) long before the cord fails.
Check out the Seat Capsule.. it isn't quite as stealthy as our seat rolls, but it's a good bit larger and can be accessed while still on the bike so you don't have to remove it as often if that is an issue for you.

I use a seat roll on my road bike and a capsule on the gravel bike where it comfortably holds a 700x40 tube, 2 co2, 2x gear wipe, shop towel, Venti multi tool, patches, tire levers, money, valve extender/core/core tool and some other stuff.
https://silca.cc/products/seat-capsule-premio

As mentioned, the boa wire is steel and pretty solid, plus if you find the Boa crew at events, they often have special dials, upgrade kits, etc they can hook you up with.. very cool company with very solid product!