Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2019, 03:41 PM
Vendor

Angeles National Forest - local mtb knowledge

I'm looking for some local mtb knowledge of Angeles National Forest, and specifically for a loop that includes Sunset Ridge. I've been looking at Trail Forks and it seems like I should be able to climb up Lower Horse Trail to Upper Horse Trail and then take a right onto Mt Lowe Railroad which is an access road, that seems to lead to a good number of single track descents including Sunset Ridge. The only issue seems to be Upper Horse Trail. It's listed as a black diamond and primarily as a downhill trail. I'd be climbing up it. Yesterday I climbed up Lower Merrill to Echo Mtn. I've done it before, but not in the temps like it was yesterday. It's a narrow trail with a bunch of steps sprinkled throughout. I recorded a 115 max and that almost crushed me. I think I spent most of the time pushing my bike looking for shady spots to rest at. I'm looking for an easier way to get to some of the single track up there including Sunset Ridge, Middle Sam Merrill, and Mt Lowe East Railway.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:52 PM
Vendor

Sunset Ridge. I wish I would’ve gotten some pics of the exposure at the top. It was amazing. But I was down to about a quarter of my Camelback and eager to keep moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2019, 05:35 PM
DELETE ACCNT

You start at the top of Lake Ave and head up Sunset Ridge.
The singletrack dumps out onto an old paved road where you get up all the way to Mt Wilson Observatory. I honestly don't know where the black diamond trail is but I've climbed all the way up and then descended all the way down to eaton canyon.

You can go a bit down the road to Chaney Trail and Mt Lowe rd up.
You know now to go super early in the a.m. Exposure all the way until you get into the upper climb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
I'm looking for some local mtb knowledge of Angeles National Forest, and specifically for a loop that includes Sunset Ridge. I've been looking at Trail Forks and it seems like I should be able to climb up Lower Horse Trail to Upper Horse Trail and then take a right onto Mt Lowe Railroad which is an access road, that seems to lead to a good number of single track descents including Sunset Ridge. The only issue seems to be Upper Horse Trail. It's listed as a black diamond and primarily as a downhill trail. I'd be climbing up it. Yesterday I climbed up Lower Merrill to Echo Mtn. I've done it before, but not in the temps like it was yesterday. It's a narrow trail with a bunch of steps sprinkled throughout. I recorded a 115 max and that almost crushed me. I think I spent most of the time pushing my bike looking for shady spots to rest at. I'm looking for an easier way to get to some of the single track up there including Sunset Ridge, Middle Sam Merrill, and Mt Lowe East Railway.