Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2019, 07:51 PM

Broken spindle

For your amusement. This is Sugino OX 601. The spindle has shorn partially through. Im not particularly powerful or heavy. Was just cruising along when this happened. The photo was taken after i pried the crank off partially. The bearing load was properly adjusted though in the past i had experienced some backing out of the adjustment screw, and subsequently the crank arm, possibly putting more shear force on the spindle. The last time this happened i also noticed some flaking off of the metal in the slots of the spindle. Like shale. This latest happened near the end of the first leg of a mini tour. Cajoled ($$) a diesel mechanic whose shop i broke down in front of for a ride. Luckily was relatively close to my destination (mom's, providence). Luckily, i have options for tomorrow, including use of a car (mom again).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1926.jpg (73.8 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by marciero; 07-29-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:53 PM

Oops wrong place. Mods??
Old 07-29-2019, 08:04 PM
Administrator

ouch, that's not good.

hope you send that photo off to sugino, i'm sure they would be interested in this failure.

hope you can sort that out quickly and be back on your way!
Old 07-30-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
ouch, that's not good.

hope you send that photo off to sugino, i'm sure they would be interested in this failure.

hope you can sort that out quickly and be back on your way!
Yes probably a good idea. Not sure about replacing with another OX now. Maybe this is a freak failure, or has something to do with the issues i experienced in the past. With the metal flaking i was able to scrape away a thin layer of metal from many of the spline depressions/cut-outs. That cant be good. They each came off in one piece like a shim.

As far as my trip-part of my adventure is taking the train with the bike. Yesterday i took amtrak portland to boston then rode to providence (almost). Tomorrow i was scheduled to ride newport to boston then take train back to portland. I will say that the train worked out great. Im a little reluctant to spend money on what would likely be a temporary replacement crank when i have them at home. So was considering just take train from providence tomorrow but one logistical twist is that they dont accept bikes on all trains, and for tains that accept them, only at certain stops. As far as i can tell you cant put them on in provy.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:34 AM
ZhugeLiang

m-pal, sorry to hear about your mishap, but you know, it's really part of the adventure, remember this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 43835B17-7078-4DB8-A963-146DE8108E90.jpeg (82.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 07-30-2019, 06:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
m-pal, sorry to hear about your mishap, but you know, it's really part of the adventure, remember this?
??

For the OP, yup, talk to the people where you got it or maybe Sugino..they would be interested..
https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/us/inquiry/index.php
Quote:
The last time this happened
This the second time?

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 07-30-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
??

For the OP, yup, talk to the people where you got it or maybe Sugino..they would be interested..
https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/us/inquiry/index.php

This the second time?
No, i meant this major mechanical as opposed to the other issues i experienced in past
Old 07-30-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post

Indeed i do! Stripped thru axle. Weird proprietary standard. Another potential tour-ending mechanical. I dodged that one using vice grips to tighten
Old 07-30-2019, 06:27 AM
Administrator

If I were in Prov i'd let you borrow a crank to get you on your way. I think I'd avoid another OX personally after that one. Lots of good lower gear options out there now.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
If I were in Prov i'd let you borrow a crank to get you on your way. I think I'd avoid another OX personally after that one. Lots of good lower gear options out there now.
I appreciate the sentiment. I may want review MarkMcM's comprehensive treatises on sram subcompact low Q options. Or maybe the new shimano gpx. You're right-lots of options.