Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2022, 06:10 AM

Checking the details when buying Yeti content

Wanted to get thoughts on this transaction. I’ve been looking for a set of mountain bike wheels for a new frame. I came across a add on the local FB bike classifieds for a set of new take off wheels for a decent price. The guy had them listed as dt rims and dt 350 hubs for $500. Pictures looks like brand new and he had good reviews, I decided to meet up with him and buy the wheels so long as they looked as good as they did in the pictures. I got home after buying them and decided to remove the freehub as I need to switch it out, and the removal didn’t follow the DT instructions. I started to look a bit closer turns out they are not DT hubs, I know very little about DT hubs, I thought from the pictures they were just unbranded DT hubs or something.

After some googling, turns out they are stock yeti hubs as it says on their website they might substitute these in for The DT 350 hubs.

So I know bad on me for not being more diligent in looking closely and comparing what was pictured vs what was stated. I think the guy I bought them from just didn’t know, as he just replaced the wheels right away with something else. I’m a bit bummed as I really wanted to get some dt hubs to try out. The seller is willing to refund me, but I would need to ship them back to him. Maybe a partial refund as I feel like the price I paid was going to be a good price if the hubs were as advertised, but overpriced for non DT hubs.

I did find a similar set on eBay that sold with tires for $350, another listed for $500.

So what would you do?

Last edited by mtb_frk; 08-15-2022 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:18 AM

I'd send them back and chalk it up to "lesson learned"

And you may be correct in thinking the owner did not know about the hubs and was mistaken, which is not hard in this industry.

2 cents and all that, but get some DT hubs that you want.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
Wanted to get thoughts on this transaction. I’ve been looking for a set of mountain bike wheels for a new frame. I came across a add on the local FB bike classifieds for a set of new take off wheels for a decent price. The guy had them listed as dt rims and dt 350 hubs for $500. Pictures looks like brand new and he had good reviews, I decided to meet up with him and buy the wheels so long as they looked as good as they did in the pictures. I got home after buying them and decided to remove the freehub as I need to switch it out, and the removal didn’t follow the DT instructions. I started to look a bit closer turns out they are not DT hubs, I know very little about DT hubs, I thought from the pictures they were just unbranded DT hubs or something.

After some googling, turns out they are stock yeti hubs as it says on their website they might substitute these in for The DT 350 hubs.

So I know bad on me for not being more diligent in looking closely and comparing what was pictured vs what was stated. I think the guy I bought them from just didn’t know, as he just replaced the wheels right away with something else. I’m a bit bummed as I really wanted to get some dt hubs to try out. The seller is willing to refund me, but I would need to ship them back to him. Maybe a partial refund as I feel like the price I paid was going to be a good price if the hubs were as advertised, but overpriced for non DT hubs.

I did find a similar set on eBay that sold with tires for $350, another listed for $500.

So what would you do?
Honest mistake(s), sounds like...If ya wanted DT hubs, send them back and look for a set with DT hubs...
Old 08-15-2022, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Most stock sealed bearing hubs are pretty good these days; chances are the stock yeti hubs are built by a bigger name in the business like bitex or velocity or someone who knows how to build inexpensive hubs well.

While 500 bucks sounds like a lot, if they are truly in new take-off condition, it's going to be not so easy to find brand new wheels in that price range anyway, so if I were you and I needed a set of wheels to get a build rolling, I'd probably keep them.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Most stock sealed bearing hubs are pretty good these days; chances are the stock yeti hubs are built by a bigger name in the business like bitex or velocity or someone who knows how to build inexpensive hubs well.

While 500 bucks sounds like a lot, if they are truly in new take-off condition, it's going to be not so easy to find brand new wheels in that price range anyway, so if I were you and I needed a set of wheels to get a build rolling, I'd probably keep them.
I passed on some of the dt 1900 wheels with the 370 hub as I figured by the time I upgraded to the star ratchet from 3 pawl design, and paid for shipping it would probably be a wash between those wheels and these.

I figure the rims are $150/each, then spokes, nips, etc.

Hubs in question are:
https://www.gw-mfg.com/product.php?ta=2

They have I think 72 poe, which when I was checking them out made me think they were the DT hubs. Looking at the pictures of the two they are clearly not DT.