Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2022, 04:32 PM

DT Swiss EXP noise

My new wheels have the DT EXP hub and I find the new 36 tooth cogs make way too much noise when coasting…just too loud! So, I added a bit more of the DT red grease in an attempt to reduce the din. Not too much, or so I thought. Next day I went out for a ride, totally forgetting I messed with them. As soon as I freewheeled, briefly, the next pedal stroke had zero resistance! A few more spins and it hooked up but disconnected again as soon as I freewheeled.

So, I turned around and got my spare bike. I quickly figured out I must have added too much grease. However this is also the behavior the early versions of the EXP hubs that were recalled. My serial numbers show I have the later version so I hoped I was the cause of this issue.

Back home I popped the cassette and freehub off, love that part of DT Swiss maintenance, and cleaned out much of the grease. Reassembled and it was all back to normal, still loud AF though. Fun times with freehubs!

Tim

Last edited by mcteague; 07-21-2023 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
My new wheels have the DT EXP hub and I find the new 54 tooth cogs make way too much noise when coasting…just to loud! So, I added a bit more of the DT red grease in an attempt to reduce the din. Not too much, or so I thought. Next day I went out for a ride, totally forgetting I messed with them. As soon as I freewheeled, briefly, the next pedal stroke had zero resistance! A few more spins and it hooked up but disconnected again as soon as I freewheeled.

So, I turned around and got my spare bike. I quickly figured out I must have added too much grease. However this is also the behavior the early versions of the EXP hubs that were recalled. My serial numbers show I have the later version so I hoped I was the cause of this issue.

Back home I popped the cassette and freehub off, love that part of DT Swiss maintenance, and cleaned out much of the grease. Reassembled and it was all back to normal, still loud AF though. Fun times with freehubs!

Tim
It's a feature not a bug

#loudfreehubssavelives
Old 08-14-2022, 06:11 PM

sorry to say but your sound will come back.

in my effort to quieten the EXP hubs, I have added the DT Swiss red grease, the Dumonde Tech freehub grease but to no avail. The hubs are blissfully silent for 60 miles or so. then the freehub sound comes back. same as it every was.

now i have made my peace with it. it is a great hub regardless of the sound. simple, easy to work on, and reliable.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:13 PM

I was under the impression that the EXP freehub, at least some versions there of, were problematic. For that reason, I bought some 350's with the old 18T ratchet, because they don't have as many issues. Hope so anyway.
Old 08-15-2022, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
I was under the impression that the EXP freehub, at least some versions there of, were problematic. For that reason, I bought some 350's with the old 18T ratchet, because they don't have as many issues. Hope so anyway.
The only issues I have read about relate to the first hubs produced. There was a manufacturing tolerance issue that was resolved.

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/ratchet-e...tenance-notice

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/05/dt-s...vice-bulletin/

Tim
Old 08-17-2022, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
I use the 18t ratchet on my 240s and 350s and am pretty happy with it. Did they stop making 18t for EXP? strongly considering Onyx for m next wheelset
Old 08-18-2022, 06:03 AM

I have had the exact same experience. I have set of gravel wheels with DT240 EXP hubs which replaced a set of Fulcrum racing reds. The Fulcrums were dead silent as was the whole bike. The DT240's sound like a jet engine coming down the road in comparison.

Added extra grease and had the same thing happen. Removed some and was quieter for about 10 miles and now is back to being as loud as before.

Everyone says that are great hubs and I like how easy they are to take apart, but I do find them to be a bit "draggy" and loud. What exactly makes them great hubs?
Old 08-18-2022, 12:27 PM

The loud hubs are one of the most-obvious bad things about the state of road bike technology today.

Definitely makes riding less pleasant, especially for the rider on your wheel.
So, eventually, there is needless passing within what might otherwise be a smooth, relatively safe paceline.

Totally avoidable if it's a priority. How long before consumers demand better?
Old 08-18-2022, 12:40 PM

I have wheels on the EXP hub and old 350 hub. Spent a lot of time playing with the EXP hubs and you can quieten then marginally after a clean and re-grease but it lasts about a ride.

Both sound like jet engines. I like the noise and it's better than a bell if you want to alert people to your presence (where I ride a bell is completely useless). I had some Giant wheels that were silent and it was quite disconcerting in my opinion.

I like them because the 350 require relatively little maintenance and with the 54t upgrade the engagement is really great. Much better than the aforementioned Giant wheels or another set of CK wheels that I have. Every shop will tools to service DT hubs as well which is a plus.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:42 PM
Vendor

The first comment in that CT article mentions a DT Swiss engineer explaining the problem with a single spring/ratchet.