Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2022, 12:51 PM

Dave, Alistair- Right On! you got the picture. For the tube fans- Right On! You are happy with your setup. There is no right or wrong way, just different ways!
Old 08-14-2022, 01:48 PM
Forward the Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applesauce View Post
From someone who hasn’t used a tube in many, many years… This is absurd. Proper tubeless is only hard for crusty luddites.
You're the guy in the pith helmet ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (69.6 KB, 177 views)
Old 08-14-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
From someone who hasn’t used a tube in many, many years… This is absurd. Proper tubeless is only hard for crusty luddites.
This.

You shouldn't have a sealant build up around the bead - this would be indicative of a poor fit or a leak. Seat the tire first without sealant - if it doesn't hold air reasonably well, something is off. Might need to re-tape - but to be honest it's probably indicative of a poorly toleranced wheel or tire. We've only ever had problems in our shop with cheaper wheels. Quality rims from reputable brands paired with quality tires (Schwalbe, Panaracer, Conti, WTB, etc) will mount with a floor pump.

I swap tubeless tires all the time on my own bike which often means reinstalling ridden tires - I've never had to clean the bead on any tire to get it to seat - mainly because there isn't sealant seeping in between the bead and the rim.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:29 PM

meh, going tubeless isn't even a remote interest.

seems like a bunch of unnecessary fiddling for little benefit.

swapping out a punctured tube isn't exactly a horrific event.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:32 PM
Randomhead

I just replaced a tubeless tire I have been using since 2015. It started out with a lot of tread, gravelking small knob, and wore down to the point where I thought I should replace it. It has never been off the rim. It has had a lot of punctures that I never noticed until it went down in the garage after a couple of days. Luddites would have gone through $200 in tubes in that time. I put some sealant in it once or twice a year. Certainly less than a bottle. I can live with that much maintenance in 8 years

I did have to clean the rim, which was a little tedious, but I did it while I was watching tv. I used a nylon brush so it didn't scratch anything.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I just replaced a tubeless tire I have been using since 2015. It started out with a lot of tread, gravelking small knob, and wore down to the point where I thought I should replace it. It has never been off the rim. It has had a lot of punctures that I never noticed until it went down in the garage after a couple of days. Luddites would have gone through $200 in tubes in that time. I put some sealant in it once or twice a year. Certainly less than a bottle. I can live with that much maintenance in 8 years

I did have to clean the rim, which was a little tedious, but I did it while I was watching tv. I used a nylon brush so it didn't scratch anything.
Surprised you still have a rim that early sealant was pretty corrosive/caustic on Aluminum rims.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:53 PM

8 years no issues sounds impressive at first, but you must've not had many miles on it, right?

after yesterday's 3 flat adventure (had to finally suck it up and call uber to get home) i've considered trying tubeless...but then get overwhelmed trying to figure out what's what on the required equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post

Old 08-14-2022, 10:01 PM

8 years? That tire must've been so dried up....
Old 08-15-2022, 07:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Tubeless is easy.

Making sure every tubeless thread has a retrogrouch comment - that’s hard work!
Making sure every tubeless thread has a 'tubeless evangelical'-that's easy!

Just kidding some, these threads about this sort of stuff are entertaining..chain lube, disc brakes, 'E' shifting.....

'retro grouch!' 'Luddite!' And 'curmudgeon!!' That's a good one.

For right below
Quote:
If I were a moderator, I would just delete all such posts
Really? Why? Discussion group, discuss, read or don't. About toys, after all...I don't see why 'some' get 'upset' when something like 'just use tubes', inevitably is said..Like..so what....

"Just use rim brakes"
"Just use mechanical shifters"
"Just get a metal bike"
"Just use a pump"
"Just use tubes"

->>

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-15-2022 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Making sure every tubeless thread has a 'tubeless evangelical'-that's easy!

Just kidding some, these threads about this sort of stuff are entertaining..chain lube, disc brakes, 'E' shifting.....
If a thread is "tubeless vs tubes" then sure, such a discussion makes sense. It's really annoying that a thread whose subject clearly indicates it is a discussion about a specific tubeless issue for people who have clearly already made the decision always draws multiple responses along thel lines of "just run tubes.". If I were a moderator, I would just delete all such posts. No one running tubeless doesn't know tubes are an option. And so these threads get derailed and become less useful.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
...I don't see why 'some' get 'upset' when something like 'just use tubes', inevitably is said..Like..so what....
Humor has no place in an Internet forum. This is serious stuff.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
No one running tubeless doesn't know tubes are an option. And so these threads get derailed and become less useful.
That my take too. And it’s my impression, though I’m happy to be wrong, that most the #tubes4lyfe crowd actually has no real or useful experience with tubeless (except maybe that guy from the Cycling Tips podcast…). Like the clipless vs flat pedals debate, most of those with flat pedal tattoos have never tried clipless, all while they rail against its risks and drawbacks and proselytize that the World Cup is about to switch back. They just know that it’s never going to work. Whereas most clipless riders have a fair amount of default experience with flat pedals…likewise most tubeless riders know all about tubes.

Back to the OP… I love your gumption. Yes, tubeless tires can be messy for all kinds of different reasons, but the only power tool I’ll turn to to mount a tubeless tire is a compressor.

Last edited by Applesauce; 08-15-2022 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_sasso View Post
Surprised you still have a rim that early sealant was pretty corrosive/caustic on Aluminum rims.
That “early sealant” from 2014 worked OK for mountain bikers.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Not sure if the OP was a joke or what but that sounds ridiculously complicated and I have not needed to do any of that circus act to operate my several tubeless set-ups.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
That “early sealant” from 2014 worked OK for mountain bikers.
I had a wheel get damaged by it from that time period. It was a think. (MTB wheel)

It is important to clean the sealant out of a wheel if you're having to remount it..

It's a big big dumb mistake if you have to mount one of the beads by inserting a tube and you do it with sealant on the tire.. or have to put a tube for an emergency. (Hard to avoid sealant + tube in that situation)

The sealant will glue the tube to the tire and it can be really hard to unseat the tire after that. REALLY hard.