Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2022, 10:58 AM

OT: Suggestions for January-February rental in Florida

Since the forum always provides the best OT responses to requests for information, here you go: My wife and I are looking to escape the cold winter in New England and rent a house/condo/apartment in Florida for the months of January and February.

We are looking for suggestions of areas to consider, close to the ocean or gulf, we would consider east or west coast, has access to good road cycling near by, walking distance to restaurants, food shopping and other good things to check out.

Over the years, we have only visited Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Naples, Keys, Captiva/Sanibel Island on vacation, these are pretty congested areas.
Was thinking west coast, Sarasota, but have never been there, don't know if there is any areas to road bike, or if to congested.

Appreciate your suggestions, and if you happen to know a rental agent or anyone renting a house/condo/apartment in a desirable area please PM with the information.

Thank you,
quattro
Old 08-13-2022, 11:35 AM

Are you committed to Florida?
Tucson Arizona area would check almost all of your boxes.
We prefer it over Florida.
Old 08-13-2022, 11:59 AM

I'm convinced Tucson is the most dreamy climate anywhere from Dec-Feb. Great road riding out the door from wherever you stay, and you can connect with about 100mi of a paved bike path. I kick myself for moving away from there just about everyday.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:07 PM

You will find congestion just about everywhere in in Florida nowadays, as people have been moving here in droves the past couple years. The quaint seaside towns where you feel like you’re knocking on heavens door are no more. A result of our warm climate, great political leadership, and staying open. Property values the past couple years have skyrocketed, as Florida is a very desirable state to live in.

But there are still some great places to stay, and some great bike riding. Amelia Island is still quite nice, cocoa Beach and Titusville are hidden gems, though these towns are also seeing a large influx of people. On the west coast Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte are lovely places. If you’re after fancy restaurants you may want to focus on the bigger cities. You need to look past the traffic congestion and crowds, as it’s now everywhere in Florida, and focus on doing what you like - whether it’s visiting historic places, spending time on the beach, eating high on the hog or riding the bike. Since you have previously visited area in south Florida, I would recommend looking a little more to central or northern Florida. For biking there are many good options, though I believe the Clermont area and the area between Ocala and Gainesville are two of the best. Of course neither of these is on the coast.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:29 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

We always loved Sanibel & Csptiva

Traffic can be miserable but the “Island Life” was always great

Lots of good restaurants, lots of wildlife, fishing, shelling, and a pretty active cycling group over on the mainland with lots of cycling available on island as well

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:42 PM

Florida

We will be driving down with our dog, so AZ is to far, not looking to be inland, we also want to be close to the ocean or gulf and beaches. Not looking for fancy dining at all, small local eateries are great.

Keep your suggestions coming…

Thanks,
quattro
Old 08-13-2022, 12:55 PM

St. Pete Beach / Tierra Verde.
Old 08-13-2022, 01:45 PM

Atlantic coast is going to be warmer, right? And panhandle has a winter, so probably not what you want.

We did Cape Canaveral back in March 2022 and the weather was nice. Warm but not hot. Could walk or ride to a few restaurants/bars, but the best dining was on the mainland. I’d definitely do Cape Canaveral or Cocoa Beach again. Airbnb rates were pretty reasonable (for a 1-bed flat in a 3 unit complex with a shared pool).
Old 08-13-2022, 03:09 PM

A long while ago we used to go to San Antonio Florida to ride in February or March. It was pretty great. Ride right out the door in multiple directions, even some Florida hills. I have no idea how much its grown up since then. Probably a lot.

Even back then I don’t think there were any “ride from the front door” places that were near the coasts. I doubt there is now. Anywhere within 10 miles of the ocean was scary.

Ocala area was good too.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:06 PM

If you want to come to Florida. And since you have already been to the more populated tourist areas.....I would consider Dunedin, Fl. It's relatively small, walkable downtown, very lively, and has the Pinellas Trail running thru it to use or get you out of town to rural areas. Beaches close by with Honeymoon island State Park just off shore with it's beaches. Lots of little Mom and Pop restaurants. Believe you could do it all here. https://www.bing.com/travel/place-in...02&form=PLACAB https://visitdunedinfl.com/ I live 12 miles NE of Orlando, and there is an extremely active cycling community around here, but for what you say you want....close to beaches, restaurants, not so touristy, I would check out Dunedin. BTW.....Love Sanabel/Captiva also. Have spent time in all those places you mention. And most people who don't live in Florida don't know about Dunedin. Try to stay as close as possible to downtown....and you can do your short trips by bike or on foot, like everyone else. The Trail can take you a long way either direction also. St Pete one way, Tarpon Springs and beyond...connects to other paved trails. Am sure local bike club has road routes you can do also. it's in the Tampa Bay region, with all that offers. Our next day trip over there, we want to eat lunch on the St Pete Pier. (At end of the Pinnellas Trail) And there is a paved trail out to Honeymoon Island State Park. Book early....I'm not the only person who likes Dunedin.

Last edited by Ralph; 08-13-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:25 AM

Be sure to bring some cool weather clothing. It may be Florida, but it can be chilly in the winter.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
Since the forum always provides the best OT responses to requests for information, here you go: My wife and I are looking to escape the cold winter in New England and rent a house/condo/apartment in Florida for the months of January and February.

We are looking for suggestions of areas to consider, close to the ocean or gulf, we would consider east or west coast, has access to good road cycling near by, walking distance to restaurants, food shopping and other good things to check out.

Over the years, we have only visited Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Naples, Keys, Captiva/Sanibel Island on vacation, these are pretty congested areas.
Was thinking west coast, Sarasota, but have never been there, don't know if there is any areas to road bike, or if to congested.

Appreciate your suggestions, and if you happen to know a rental agent or anyone renting a house/condo/apartment in a desirable area please PM with the information.

Thank you,
quattro
I like the cycling in Naples a lot better than Sarasota for what it is worth.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:22 AM

Sanibel and Captiva are decent riding but only if you hit the road just at early daylight. Shortly after that it gets very busy.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:25 AM

If you don't mind some chill, Asheville NC is certainly lot more climate friendly. We haven't been there, but know people who have been and love it.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
If you don't mind some chill, Asheville NC is certainly lot more climate friendly. We haven't been there, but know people who have been and love it.
I love riding in the Asheville area, but January-February can be quite rainy and snowy. I was there during an April team training camp when we had to take a day off due to snow.

Greg