Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL View Post
I've ridden a version of your TCX as my all-road bike for years. I have 2 sets of wheels, but in reality never put the knobbies on. These 40mm Velocitas handle dirt roads just fine and roll well enough on the pavement that I don't worry about it.
Looking good!

Are you running 160 discs on there? I wonder what year they switched over.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:09 AM

Can I tag in here? I have an aspero with 44x11-34 (maybe even 32) gearing right now. We don’t have a need for a 42 in the back unless I’m in technical trails and I’m not riding those on this bike!

Should I convert it to 48/35x10-28 or 10-33 gearing (use my axs) and roadie it? Problem is that the bike as a 1x doesn’t handle bigger rings and the 44x11 is too low for roadie times
Old 08-08-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
These 40mm Velocitas handle dirt roads just fine and roll well enough on the pavement that I don't worry about it.
How do the Velocitas handle gravel (groomed/maintained gravel road, not chunky forest roads)?
Old 08-08-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
How do the Velocitas handle gravel (groomed/maintained gravel road, not chunky forest roads)?
Like any slick on gravel it’s all good until things go south
Old 08-08-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
Can I tag in here? I have an aspero with 44x11-34 (maybe even 32) gearing right now. We don’t have a need for a 42 in the back unless I’m in technical trails and I’m not riding those on this bike!

Should I convert it to 48/35x10-28 or 10-33 gearing (use my axs) and roadie it? Problem is that the bike as a 1x doesn’t handle bigger rings and the 44x11 is too low for roadie times
Tag along for sure!

Honestly, I swapped to a 46/34 because of the road component. I figured 46x11 was fast enough. I think praxis makes some 48/32 or 46/30 subcompact which could be nice for ya!
Old 08-08-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Tag along for sure!

Honestly, I swapped to a 46/34 because of the road component. I figured 46x11 was fast enough. I think praxis makes some 48/32 or 46/30 subcompact which could be nice for ya!
Yep so the "problem" is that my bike is currently 1x with Apex1 shifters+brakes. I was thinking of using the Rival AXS off my disc road bike perhaps and building something all-road. I'd have to get a new crankset or a new bottom bracket (probably the latter since that's cheaper than a new Red AXS in GXP )
Old 08-08-2022, 09:39 PM

Can anyone help figure out part numbers or recommend adapters? The nomenclature is all over the place and I'm having a hard time figuring out what to order. There are a couple of shops I can try calling a few shops but my work hours often don't quite line up.

Adapters needed.

Front : Shimano 140 to 160 post mount adapter. Just need to go 20mm larger.

Rear : 140mm Shimano post mount caliper to 160mm on a flat mount frame.

Thanks for any help. Trp etc adapters are fine if they make them. I'm having some trouble chasing these down since the descriptions are pretty unclear.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Looking good!

Are you running 160 discs on there? I wonder what year they switched over.
I'm running 160s with mechanical discs, but the bike isn't stock. I built it with spare parts a few years ago.

I've had it built up in a few configurations over the years. Ran 1x for a while but really just didn't enjoy it. It's simple and works great, but the 2x ultimately gives a few more options, especially since it only gets used on pavement/dirt roads.

Regarding the Velocitas - for me, they work well on dirt/gravel. Being 40s, I can run pretty low pressure which just works wonderfully rolling over gravel. They're light enough to roll like a road tire on pavement. I personally think they roll better than Gravel Kings.

The tread is quite thin, which is why they roll so well, but they could in theory be less durable than some other options. I've only flatted once and sealant plugged the hole quickly.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Can anyone help figure out part numbers or recommend adapters? The nomenclature is all over the place and I'm having a hard time figuring out what to order. There are a couple of shops I can try calling a few shops but my work hours often don't quite line up.

Adapters needed.

Front : Shimano 140 to 160 post mount adapter. Just need to go 20mm larger.

Rear : 140mm Shimano post mount caliper to 160mm on a flat mount frame.

Thanks for any help. Trp etc adapters are fine if they make them. I'm having some trouble chasing these down since the descriptions are pretty unclear.

Both of your current calipers are post mount?

I believe you need ISMMAR160PDH for the rear and ISMMA90F180PPC for the front.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/servi...t-adapter.html

Last edited by JSL; 08-09-2022 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:09 PM

How would folks recommend extending the range? Would I be able to install a wolftooth in order to use a bigger cassette?

If I swap cranks to one of the Shimano offerings like the grx, that'll change the chain line right? Would I be able to use my ultegra NDS stages power meter with the gravel cranks?

I could do the bikingreen chainrings as well if needed. That may be the more cost effective thing but I'm wondering if I could do something like an 11-40 or 42 with a wolftooth and my 46/34 rings. It would exceed the chain capacity but I've been riding for long enough that I normally don't cross chain at all.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Both of your current calipers are post mount?

I believe you need ISMMAR160PDH for the rear and ISMMA90F180PPC for the front.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/servi...t-adapter.html
Missed this but awesome info!

I actually just called a local shop and just asked them to order things haha.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:03 PM

Alright, updating this to keep info in one place for myself and in the hopes that it helps someone else as well.

Options for increasing gearing range if starting with a road group. In my case, shimano.

First option:
-Run what ya brung. Try a bigger cassette with existing setup to see if it works. Shimano RD's are usually able to go +2 over stated max without much ill effect. Folks have done far more too. I've seen posts with people running an 11-42 with a shimano road RD...likely won't last as long though but if it works...

If changing parts/buying things...

Cranks:
- Switch to gravel crankset. 48/32 or 46/30, or even 1x
- Switch to bikingreen rings for road crankset 48/31 or 46/30 are options.

Rear Derailleur
- Wolftooth road link for extending RD range. Can likely get ~+2-4 over what the RD would do by itself even going outside the parameters.
- Switch to something like a GRX 810 RD which can take a bigger cog. Can also use with road link.
- Switch to S-ride rear derailleur : https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...&search=S-Ride
- Use a wolftooth tanpan to use a shimano MTB rear derailleur with a road shifter set. Can likely also use with road link if this is a thing you need to do.

S-ride cassettes are likely heavy, but present options.
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/cat...?search=S-Ride

------

Overall for me at this time, I think it likely makes the most sense to try to get something a hair lower than a 1:1 gear so my current 46/34 with an 11-36 should be a reasonable options. Odds are that I can do this by only getting a cassette so its worth a shot.

If I need more range after that, it's a toss up between getting another crank to 46/31 vs new RD and 11-42. Moving up to an 11-42 with the existing 46/34 is a greater reduction in gear inches, but more expensive from a price standpoint as it would require a cassette + RD.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 08-14-2022 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:33 PM

In regards to running a 11-42T cassette it felt like a lot of shifting particularly around town. Was reasonably good off road. The combination of roadlink, tampan, slx7000 RD did work well with 46/34 cranks. IIRC I started with the long cage version, but after the wheel ate it I went to medium for the replacement.

Currently on 11-34T and RX800 RD which worked a bit better for the riding I was actually doing. However recently I've been wanting some low end and plan to pick up the GRX 46/30 crank.

Comparing 46/30 and 11-34T to 46/34 and 11-42T I think the range of the former is more usable. http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=D...37,42&UF2=2215
Old 08-14-2022, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhatibi View Post
In regards to running a 11-42T cassette it felt like a lot of shifting particularly around town. Was reasonably good off road. The combination of roadlink, tampan, slx7000 RD did work well with 46/34 cranks. IIRC I started with the long cage version, but after the wheel ate it I went to medium for the replacement.

Currently on 11-34T and RX800 RD which worked a bit better for the riding I was actually doing. However recently I've been wanting some low end and plan to pick up the GRX 46/30 crank.

Comparing 46/30 and 11-34T to 46/34 and 11-42T I think the range of the former is more usable. http://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=D...37,42&UF2=2215
I think I'd be much more likely to pick up a grx crankset if I can use my NDS power meter arm with it. I have a feeling the hollowtech crank arms are compatible but not totally certain.

Thanks for the tip on the changes. I think I feel similarly to you re not wanting a huge cassette. 11-36 would be a great place for me to start imho.
Should possibly even work with the current RD.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I think I'd be much more likely to pick up a grx crankset if I can use my NDS power meter arm with it. I have a feeling the hollowtech crank arms are compatible but not totally certain.
The GRX crank has a +2.5mm Q-factor vs the normal road cranks.