Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2022, 10:01 PM

https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/2/22...g-reservations

‘ The quad-motor configuration of the R1T with 314 miles of range used to start at $67,500, but now that price point will only get you a dual-motor and standard battery pack configuration — which won’t be available until 2024. The quad-motor configurations now start at $79,500 for the R1T and $84,500 for the R1S (originally $70,000).’

People reporting their already $85k trucks are now over $100k. Insane.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:28 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

More importantly (price is immaterial to me, since I won't be buying one, but I might have to see them on the road) have they redesigned the hideous front-end?
Old 03-02-2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
More importantly (price is immaterial to me, since I won't be buying one, but I might have to see them on the road) have they redesigned the hideous front-end?
That’s actually my favourite thing about them. They are very striking in real life, in my opinion. Looks really cool.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 03-02-2022 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I saw one in person (in our super small town which surprised me) and they actually look slightly better in person. It looked a little too "cartoony" for my personal liking but if someone gave me one for free id keep it if my lifestyle allowed.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:06 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
but if someone gave me one for free id keep it if my lifestyle allowed.
I drive a '14 Subaru Impreza hatchback with over 180k miles. The game I sometimes play while driving down the road is to ask myself if I'd trade the Subie straight-up for some other random car I see, with a few rules such as: 1) It has to be the only car I own, 2) I have to drive it for at least 5 years, so I'm not allowed to trade for a MB G-Class SUV, then turn around and sell it and pocket the $130k, 3) I have to pay for stuff like maintenance, insurance, taxes, etc.

It's surprising how many very attractive cars I end up rejecting...
Old 03-02-2022, 11:07 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
That’s actually my favourite thing about them. They are very striking in real life, in my opinion. Looks really cool.
I agree with striking. Cool, well, I guess that's a matter of taste.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I drive a '14 Subaru Impreza hatchback with over 180k miles. The game I sometimes play while driving down the road is to ask myself if I'd trade the Subie straight-up for some other random car I see, with a few rules such as: 1) It has to be the only car I own, 2) I have to drive it for at least 5 years, so I'm not allowed to trade for a MB G-Class SUV, then turn around and sell it and pocket the $130k, 3) I have to pay for stuff like maintenance, insurance, taxes, etc.

It's surprising how many very attractive cars I end up rejecting...
I drive a 2002 toyota tacoma TRD.

I have literally not seen a single car or truck on the road id trade my truck for under the rules stated above EXCEPT for a 2001-2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD in better condition. Now that being said if my job offered an electric vehicle charging station I would consider trading for a 4wd electric vehicle maybe. But small town, not gonna happen and I cant charge at my house so not happening
Old 03-03-2022, 08:32 AM

Similar boat here....

.... regarding my 2003 Lexus GX with 130k miles. We want it to last another 5 years, till the EV's get cheaper and have better range. Nothing on the road currently catches our eye. And the bulkiness of new trucks and SUV's are off-putting.

Quote:

I have literally not seen a single car or truck on the road id trade my truck for under the rules stated above EXCEPT for a 2001-2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD in better condition. Now that being said if my job offered an electric vehicle charging station I would consider trading for a 4wd electric vehicle maybe. But small town, not gonna happen and I cant charge at my house so not happening
Old 03-03-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Old 03-03-2022, 09:05 AM

I'm kind of in the same position of "probably wouldn't even trade my car straight up" as my car has kind of shown itself to be dependable and very low risk/low maintenance.

Gas mileage is not good but my miles driven is low... so it's really a question would it take $5/gal, $6/gal, $7/gal to accelerate my plan to get an EV.

$7/gal would be > $90 to fill the tank.. seems shocking but I'm not sure that's enough to get me to go spend a giant pile of money on a new car until maintenace becomes an issue.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Realistically this truck is a novelty toy for wealthy people who want an electric vehicle. No one is buying an $80k truck as a practical replacement for a commuter gasser car.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
First off DCSB is an instant no.

2nd. I can’t do electric. I don’t even have a 220 outlet at my house and I live off grid on solar. If there was infrastructure in town to charge I could do it but I’d still keep the 1st gen taco for reassurance

I do believe battery tech/solar tech will get good enough to run an EV off grid. Many people are already doing it actually but my set up is just not optimized for that right now

Last edited by jtakeda; 03-03-2022 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:28 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
I can’t do electric. I don’t even have a 220 outlet at my house and I live off grid on solar.
This is a topic of future interest to me. On the chance that you’ve researched it, is this a matter of not having the right solar setup for vehicle charging? Or does the right solar setup not exist yet?
Old 03-03-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Realistically this truck is a novelty toy for wealthy people who want an electric vehicle. No one is buying an $80k truck as a practical replacement for a commuter gasser car.
Totally.. and for some reason it's all hyped about off road.

Go watch the reviews and it's all so silly when you watch the reviewers doing "off road".

$80k truck and 99% of the time it'd just be easier to just get out and walk up the hill.

Offroad 4x4 sometimes seems like a very very good way to take a truckload of cash to do poorly what a MTB or a pair of boots does orders of magnitude better.

I am only kind of kidding.. I used to have a 4x4 enthusiast for a roommate and got to know a whole group.. they were all in for $50-100k and they'd go down trails and would basically never go faster than a beginner on an easy ride down that same trail on an entry level MTB.

It's all signaling for the other dudes in the hobby. Just a question does a Rivian signal the right things to the other dudes.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:58 AM

100% with you on this^ Each to their own and all that, but I don't quite get the whole dedicated off roading thing. Overlanding? As in actually traveling long distances off road, I kind of get, but people that just got to OVH roads for a few hours and muck about in their Jeep's or 4Runner's and go at like 2mph in their rock crawl gear...... get a bike or walk. Experience it first hand.