Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2021, 05:59 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

OT - Rivian R1T electric truck

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/25/b...smid=url-share

I wonder if I'll ever see one on the roads around here.

Big "meh" on the front end aesthetics, but it sure seems capable (performance-wise) if you can find it and you're will to spend the $70k to get one. But if you actually want to carry stuff, well, that's another matter.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:01 PM

It depends on your definition of stuff? Outdoorsy gear; camping, skis, bikes, seems more than capable.

Construction, runs to Lowe’s maybe less than conventional truck.

They’re targeting the outdoorsy crowd. Whether they use it as intended or perceived image of being adventurous is another issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2021, 07:09 PM

Long Way Up...

My interest was piqued in Apple TVs Long Way Up.

We divested from our pickup in 2017...after always having one as a homeowner. We miss it now and then, but I prefer our current fleet almost all the time.

This is about the only way I could imagine going back to a truck...
Old 11-26-2021, 07:39 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by many_styles View Post
It depends on your definition of stuff? Outdoorsy gear; camping, skis, bikes, seems more than capable.

Construction, runs to Lowe’s maybe less than conventional truck.
I hear what you're saying, but if I ever get a truck (right now if I really need one - which is around once every 5 years or so - I rent it) I'll expect it to do both things - haul toys and at least have room for a full sheet of plywood. As a single guy, I'll trade a "crew cab" for space in the bed just about any day.

My idea of a pick-up (but with more rust):

Old 11-26-2021, 08:07 PM

Louis, I like that you like that old Ford. Have two ‘97’s, a gasser and a diesel. I rarely curse either.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:06 PM

I get that it’s super cool, like really really cool, but it’s just so expensive. I know there’s a lot of tech packed in there but man, $80k+ is some serious cash. And as always, until Rivian have a Tesla sized fast charging network, the truck is worthless for outdoorsy people who want to use it for traveling.

Saw a couple on the back of a transporter last month. They looked great in the flesh.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:26 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I'd lean Ford on this for the strong company and service network in place for forever pretty much.

Luv the look of that though. I kind of like the direction the look these go for is attaining. Our 2022 Bolt to us looks so much less pedestrian than our friends 2017 Premier.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:33 PM
what's a little rust?

I’m also liking the Ford electric truck at the moment. I’d want wheel options though, because I love the looks of 70s trucks with steelies. I expect I’d be more aware of the weight of wheels and tires with an EV than with an old V8 monster.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:35 PM

I’ve seen Rivian testing their trucks for several months now when I’m out on rides. I’d agree that they do look better in person, but still not loving the headlights. I’ve been waiting for a vehicle like this to get an EV or the Ford, and will likely wait until the supply chain hopefully catches up. I also wish they were about half the price, so we’ll see.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Paywall..
Old 11-27-2021, 07:11 AM
Two wheels good

It's not bad looking if it weren't for those emoji-eye headlights.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Paywall..
https://archive.ph/j6G0x there's an archived copy of the article for you to read...
Old 11-27-2021, 07:32 AM

I was struck recently about how far up the price curve these initial offerings are--this from Rivian, and the Tesla competitor Lucid--and then remembered these are still Veblen/luxury goods where they need to get established in the market by selling to those who can afford to step in at the beginning. These vehicles with their 1000+ hp, and 3 second quarter mile are for bragging rights. In theory, the more affordable vehicles will follow... Maybe.

It made me remember that the same was true in the earliest days of the ICE car--it was a luxury good for the early adopters, until Henry Ford built for the masses.

Not being in the class of people for whom an $80k entry price seems reasonable for any new vehicle (average price just ticked over $45k this year, a record high partly because of supply chain issues), and having spent a lifetime purchasing CPO vehicles, I am most definitely not the target market. That said, all the reservation slots are sold for this and their SUV--so there are more people out there for whom this seems reasonable than I would expect...

I'm going to be more interested in the utilitarian electric van they produce--if they manage to sell enough of these whiz-bang trucks to get them out the door.

Last edited by paredown; 11-27-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:52 AM

Well it does have an extremely strong endorsement from Doug:

https://youtu.be/CYrunRy8hmw

I’m hanging on to my ‘83 k10.

Btw, speaking of trucks, I saw my bro-in-law yesterday who thought of selling his pristine first gen tundra that he bought new and only has 80k miles, and I’m proud to say he has decided to keep it.

He talked with a guy in Arizona that wanted to buy it and the guy basically talked him out of letting it go. Thank goodness.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:11 AM
DELETE ACCNT

Rivian is at full capacity. Even current customers won't get their trucks until end of 2022.
They have sold every one, and will sell out production for years to come.

Rivian's delivery trucks are Amazon's new fleet. The company really is the future.
Ford made billions investing in Rivian, so it will be interesting to see how they implement what they learned.

$65-80K for a vehicle isn't crazy nowadays. Most non-luxury suv's are in the $50k+ range and $100k lux ICE cars and trucks are common. Rivian has to go with this sales strategy, just as Tesla started with the S.

Rivian's approach to their charging network tied to national parks is intersting and good.
If you look at the Rivian, the price is pretty good for what they are offering. The interior is well comparable to Navigator/Escalade and the design ideas are better than any other pickup.

Right now the bottom end of EV's is $45k, and I don't see that changing for quite some time.
If Tesla brings their entry level ev here, that would open up a big market.