Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Look at the photo -- grassy knoll behind and to the left.
McDowell hacked the guy's shifter and engaged the motor remotely?
Old 08-14-2022, 10:00 PM

wow .. 138km with over 4000m of climbing ..

https://www.maratona.it/en/138km
Old 08-15-2022, 03:21 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I thought Gran Fondos were rides not races, was there prize money involved in this?
The Granfondo scene in Italy is *very* race-like. The events have timing, the big GFs form a "circuit" (Maratona Dolomites, Fausto Coppi, Nove Colli, Ötztaler..) and there are rather professionally organized sponsored teams, often with a bunch of ex Elite riders.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:14 AM

As mentioned earlier in this thread- Gran Fondo is the only form of drop bar racing for non-professionals in most countries for people that have aged out of jr and U23 racing and find themselves without a contract. Countries with cycling culture don’t waste their resources on “traditional” road racing for wannabes the way we did in America in the 80’s-today.

La Maratona is so old, and such an institution that I had italian teammates as a junior in the 90’s that would fly home every summer just tow their uncles uphill.

At least the OP’s thread is about cheating in real life instead of Zwift, or attacking through the feedzone in some lame gravel race!!!
Old 08-15-2022, 09:00 AM

Right.. don't these Fondos serve more as amateur races in Europe even to the point that the winners sometimes get picked up on Pro contracts and such?

Very different than here where "Gran Fondo" was just something that got tacked onto the name of centuries so they could raise the price 10x.

Think more like gravel racing or hill climbs in the US where it's an open mass start event for every day riders but there is still a significant race at the pointy end with prizes and a lot at stake.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I thought Gran Fondos were rides not races, was there prize money involved in this?
I did a timed event in western NC earlier this year. The lady who finished first......she was paced by a few blokes and 2 acted as domestiques.

This was a low key event. Gran Fondos...........
Old 08-15-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
I did a timed event in western NC earlier this year. The lady who finished first......she was paced by a few blokes and 2 acted as domestiques.

This was a low key event. Gran Fondos...........
Any timed event/race without some form of governance turns into a mess. People love to hate on USA Cycling, but there's a lot to be said for common rules, licensed officials, and separate fields. Sadly, sanctioned cycling races in CNY are dying a quick, painful death. Promotors have decided to "go it alone" rather than operate under the USA Cycling umbrella. Now we get races with sketchy routes, little or no marshaling, no medical plan in case of emergency, and often inaccurate results.

Greg
Old 08-15-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Any timed event/race without some form of governance turns into a mess. People love to hate on USA Cycling, but there's a lot to be said for common rules, licensed officials, and separate fields. Sadly, sanctioned cycling races in CNY are dying a quick, painful death. Promotors have decided to "go it alone" rather than operate under the USA Cycling umbrella. Now we get races with sketchy routes, little or no marshaling, no medical plan in case of emergency, and often inaccurate results.
But, they’re a lot more fun.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
But, they’re a lot more fun.
Depends on your definition of fun. Cars driving into the middle of sprint finishes, racers ignoring traffic laws (putting themselves, other racers, and motorists in danger), "fun ride" participants being swarmed during race finishes, pedestrians on race courses, and many more dangerous situations. If these are "fun," I'd rather stick with those serious, un-fun sanctioned races. Unfortunately, there are very few sanctioned races within a two-hour drive of my home.

Greg
Old 08-15-2022, 01:32 PM

The fact that sanctioned races are on the decline, while gran fondos (and gravel races) are on the rise, supports the idea that most people find the latter to be more fun.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:50 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
The fact that sanctioned races are on the decline, while gran fondos (and gravel races) are on the rise, supports the idea that most people find the latter to be more fun.
I did one Gran Fondo when I was down in San Diego and had a great time.. I didn't do the long route, nor did I finish anywhere near the front, but I had a great time (even with it raining the entire time!) Of course, I don't think was anything more than bragging rights to win anyway..
Old 08-15-2022, 02:30 PM

I watched the video a few times slowed down. Since I have DI2 on a bike I'm familiar with top buttons. If he has a mechanical left shifter and electric on the right, he shifts a cog or two in the back. Then what? Press the top button to change a field on his computer? He doesn't even tilt his head down to look at it. Yeah perhaps his eyes glanced down since he's wearing Eyeshades. You can clearly see his right thumb knuckle bend and then move back into the position that matches the left.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:45 PM
Meh

Quote:
As far as I can tell, the only sanctioned road races left around these parts are crits, where the most common experience for those trying one for the first time is being spat out the back on lap 2 and ejected from the race by the marshal.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
As far as I can tell, the only sanctioned road races left around these parts are crits, where the most common experience for those trying one for the first time is being spat out the back on lap 2 and ejected from the race by the marshal.
If you're lucky enough to make it that far before some Cavendish wannabe chops your wheel in turn 3.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
In upstate NY, even the crits have disappeared. I've been keeping a list of departed races. I'm up to 25 races (MTB, crit, circuit, and traditional road) that have dropped off the schedule since Y2K. Twenty of the 25 were USA Cycling sanctioned. I understand that most people are put off by formally sanctioned races and would rather participate in non-sanctioned events. For those of us who enjoy competition "at the pointy end" of a race, the options are dwindling. It's fast becoming cyclocross or nothing around here... and there are less cyclocross races than in previous years too.

Greg