Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2022, 12:29 PM

Florida

Last year we considered NC/SC, ut after watching the weather for a few weeks decided it was t warm e ouch, therefore focused on Florida for this coming winter.
My understanding is that apples is quite expensive, is that true?
Old 08-14-2022, 01:13 PM

I guess it depends on what kind of trip you want. A hard core cycling trip, or a trip where you get in some good cycling, maybe take in a major league baseball game in winter camp, lay on the beach, fish a little, see some museums, walk around some nice downtowns, eat local seafood in some Mom and Pop restaurants, listen to some local music while you dine, spend time with family doing what they enjoy, etc. Only you can decide that.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro View Post
Last year we considered NC/SC, ut after watching the weather for a few weeks decided it was t warm e ouch, therefore focused on Florida for this coming winter.
My understanding is that apples is quite expensive, is that true?
Ummm... I was considering Greenville SC area for a few weeks in the winter, but maybe I have to keep looking for warmer temps.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:38 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

If you do San/Cap you are close to Red Sox training camp in Ft Myers

It is generally a good way to spend an afternoon

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I guess it depends on what kind of trip you want. A hard core cycling trip, or a trip where you get in some good cycling, maybe take in a major league baseball game in winter camp, lay on the beach, fish a little, see some museums, walk around some nice downtowns, eat local seafood in some Mom and Pop restaurants, listen to some local music while you dine, spend time with family doing what they enjoy, etc. Only you can decide that.
Not looking for a hard core cycling trip at all, just being able to ride safely on nice roads without heavy traffic over the two months I plan to be in Florida. All of the other things you suggest are on my radar.
Thanks
Old 08-15-2022, 04:52 PM

I haven't spent much time around the Sarasota area (very busy area)....although I have ridden the legacy trail from end in Venice to up about Clark road. I believe it's now extended into down town Sarasota. Know a guy who lives in Lakewood Ranch (outside Sarasota)....and he says he gets good riding in his community.

Have been going to Sanibel island for about 40 years. Usually stay about mid island at the West Wind Inn. Always enjoyed an early morning ride to Captiva and back....or thru Ding Darling before family got going for day. And watching the sun set at night at Blind Pass.

We now prefer staying in Dunedin for a home base, like the downtown vibe, waterfront, and things for the family to do...ride as a family to Honeymoon island...things like that. Not hard core when we go (wife and daughter take their E bikes). For me it's mostly riding on the 75 mile long Pinellis Trail. We only go for a few days at a time...usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express downtown. There is a Best Western waterfront we're thinking of trying next. But our trips are different than yours....we can go anytime we wish. There are some new connecting trails that go inland now....part of the 255 mile Coast to Coast trail from St Pete (Pier) to Titusville on E coast (actually comes right by my house). I'm sure some locals know a few rural roads around there, but like was said above....Florida is getting crowded. When we stay there, the whole Tampa bay area is close by. We like Clearwater Bch.....the Dolphin Marine rehab center is always a popular destination for us. And the sponge docks at Tarpon Springs....eat at the Rusty Bellies dock side restaurant. The whole area is close.

I also like the Titusville Cocoa Bch area. Can ride to Titusville on the trail from my house (and it's being extended out to Playlinda Bch)....going thru the 49,000 acre wilderness (owned by the Miami Corp). But don't know what I would do there (as a visitor with a family) more than a couple days.

Have ridden some on Amelia Island also. Have a friend there. Just beautiful. But don't know how to spend much time there. You mostly see it from the N/S trail. You would enjoy (on way down) to ride your bike from N side of Island where trail starts down to Jacksonville on the coastal (A1A) hwy. Paved trail most of the way. Several Islands. Probably wouldn't get hit. Believe you could park a car next to the ferry terminal over St Johns River to Mayport.

Whatever you decide....am sure you will have a good time. Have known people who contemplate doing what you want to do...make a short weekend trip down to check out some longer term accommodations.

Last edited by Ralph; 08-15-2022 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:50 PM
Ari W

Sarasota local, Jan-feb is a really nice time of year here and there is plenty of road riding to be had. We have a fair number of groups of varying speeds and distances that you can join. Good mtb riding a little over an hour away and a few more places within 2 hours. Hit me up for details or if you end up here.

Ari