Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 07-08-2022, 09:53 AM

VT Six Gaps July 23

Speaking of 100 ish mile rides with lots of climbing- a group of New England Randonneurs and anyone else that cares to join will be doing this ride on July 23, 6:00 am start. This is not an organized ride, just a group of riders that decided on a date and time. We did this last year and there were about 8 or 9 of us. This year based on the buzz on the NER google group my hunch is that there will be fewer NERds.

This ride is registered with Randonneurs USA as a "permanent", which is a type of brevet that one can do at any time rather than taking place on a certain date. Any RUSA member interested in getting RUSA credit for the ride would register for the permanent program and then register for the ride. For more information on that check the RUSA site under the Permanents tab. But anyone can do this ride. You dont need to register for anything or be an NER or RUSA member. If you want to do the ride and start with the group, just show up at the start on July 23 ready for 6:00am start.

Here is the route
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33072599

Notes:
Note that this is not an organized ride and there is no support whatsoever. The spirit of the ride is as as a "fun ride", and riding as a group is part of that, but riders can get separated based on ability and group dynamics. So you should be prepared to ride alone and be self sufficient. Last year despite getting separated we did manage to finish as a group, partly facilitated by the last 20 or so miles being flat/downhill. FWIW we finished in 10:34 total time last year according to my garmin.

There are plenty of services on this route; not all along the route but at least every 30 miles or so. There is a camping and primitive cabins at Four Springs in Royalton. Sleeping in a vehicle at one of the nice VT rest areas also seems promising. I might try this in fact.

No rain date. I plan to show up unless it is truly horrendous.

Finally, road construction is always a concern and appreciate any local intel from paceliners! So far, word is that "2 miles of road work (1 lane in 3 sections) between miles 40-50 (I think) but it was well-managed and wasn't problematic at all."
Old 07-08-2022, 10:09 AM

Route notes

This is sort of a route that needs no introduction on PL. That said:

Mostly all paved, some gravel-both smooth and not-including a couple of the descents. Still, doable on road skinny tires.
Lots of climbing, and some it very steep. Lincoln Gap is the killer here, with average of 15% and max of 24%, depending on how you measure. I think the 20+% is sustained and not just a ramp or two. Most will want 1:1 or lower gearing. No shame in walking or weaving.

Last edited by marciero; 07-08-2022 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Have fun and be careful.

In late July, rain wouldnt be my concern out there, heat would be.

Last time I hit the top of Lincoln was in a full on deluge!

Wish I could join you guys, sounds like a fun but potentially brutal day out!

Old 07-26-2022, 10:22 PM

Just happened to come across this posting. Wonder how it went, if it went. Last Saturday, 7/23, was brutally hot up here. In the 90's with lots of humidity. Not the day I would want to be doing 2 gaps, much less 6 of them.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Just happened to come across this posting. Wonder how it went, if it went. Last Saturday, 7/23, was brutally hot up here. In the 90's with lots of humidity. Not the day I would want to be doing 2 gaps, much less 6 of them.
https://groups.google.com/g/ne-rando...m/ZEmKzDf-AgAJ

"We had a good group for the Six Gaps permanent on Saturday: seven started and all finished. Weather was good albeit warm in the afternoon..."
Old 07-27-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
That was my thought too before the ride. I was not looking forward to it but we had locked in the date, and as one of the instigators I felt compelled to show up. But the heat was not a problem. In fact I started with a wind vest and liner gloves. Then it warmed up of course but nothing oppressive, and did not feel particularly humid to me on the road. I was not sweating buckets. Lincoln gap completely shaded. The hottest I was was standing in front of the Lincoln store.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:56 PM

Well done, kudos to you guys. I would've been scared off by the forecast.

But back in the day, we always seemed to do LAMB rides on the hottest days of the summer, just by dumb luck...