Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward12 View Post
Thanks for the insight. Most of it was very helpful. Whatever his intentions were, I will reimburse this guy the $300 for the actual time and effort he made to return the bike.
Guys- the OP said he’d pay the guy. Why is anyone giving him advice ?
Old 08-20-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
A Steve Rex is 6 grand?
Good call.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:53 PM

I've had bikes stolen.

If someone bought it for a crack-money price and then made it possible for me to get it back from him for that amount I would be profoundly grateful.

Get off your high horse. The guy recovered your bike for you in one piece. Be happy.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:54 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Guys- the OP said he’d pay the guy. Why is anyone giving him advice ?
Party pooper
Old 08-20-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward12 View Post
I could use some helpful advice here - my $6,000 Steve Rex Road was stolen from my garage last week. 7 days later, Steve Rex's shop calls and tells me walked into the shop asking about a bike with a description which matched mine. Apparently, the guy bought the bike for $300 from some homeless drug addict and realized it was worth a lot more. He stated that he wanted to do the right thing. The shop passed on his work number and I left him a voicemail, which he did not return. The next day he brought the bike to the shop and left. I recovered the bike later that afternoon. Today, I received an angry voicemail from him ending with a terse, "you're welcome. He's clearly fishing for a reward to cover his $300 loss. He must have known the bike was stolen when he bought it for such a ridiculously low price. So he was in possession of stolen property. The fact that he decided to do the right thing is irrelevant to me. If he wants to recover the $300, then he can pursue his remedy from the junkie who stole the bike. I'm just not feeling much gratitude, here. Am I wrong? Or should I call back this quasi-criminal and give him a cash reward? I know I sound unduly harsh, but if some meth-head approached me with what appeared be a very expensive bike, I would call the police and make sure the perpetrator was apprehended. etc. The idea of paying this clown really pisses me off...or am I just being an ass?
You are wrong IMHO, and only a complete asshole would not offer to reimburse the guy who returned the bike for his out of pocket expense. It’s $300, and you would have been screwed had it not been for the guy’s good will.

This happened to a friend once. He saw a very nice bike being sold on a corner in a bad area of town and presumed that it had been stolen. He bought the bike for a small amount — enough to keep the seller in crack cocaine for a few days — and quickly found the owner, who happened to be a member of our local cycling club. When my friend returned the bike, the owner was pissed because he had expected to claim it on his homeowners and get something newer. The owner did not display gratitude and resisted paying for the bike. While the owner ultimately was cajoled into reimbursing my friend, its now been 30 plus years, and we still talk about how much of an asshole he was, and he certainly didn’t make many lasting friends in the local cycling community.

Why would you want to be that guy? Have some scruples and pay the guy who returned your bike. On top of that, buy him a really nice case of beer or a gift certificate ay your LBS and send him a written apology for being such a jackass.

Last edited by djg21; 08-20-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

I know you didn't mean to use that word in relation to our fellow forum member and OP, but its time to move on. The question is asked and answered and there is no new insight to be gained.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsonic View Post
I've had bikes stolen.

If someone bought it for a crack-money price and then made it possible for me to get it back from him for that amount I would be profoundly grateful.

Get off your high horse. The guy recovered your bike for you in one piece. Be happy.
A few years back my favorite bika was stolen by a package thief who was working my neighborhood because I made the mistake of riding to Trader Joe's for 2 beers and then leaving my bike outside the front door. As I walked in a friend called and I was on the phone for about 30 min. I heard people outside but it was during the holiday season and packages were being delivered to neighbors at all hours. Anyway, the most upsetting thing wasn't losing the bike (I mean I left it outside), it was being certain that no one would pay more than $100 for an old "ten speed" from an unknown brand called Cielo. I'd be happier knowing that the thief kept it and used it to haul cans and shiz. Kinda shocked that Rex grabbed 3 bills..TBH.

Last edited by beeatnik; 08-20-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
You're being an ass.
Yep.

Be thankful he left it at the shop.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Okay I think we’ve beaten this to death.