Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2024, 09:18 PM

Rome Recomendations

Paceliners! My wife and I are going to be in Rome for four days in mid-October. Are there any neighborhoods or restaurants that made a mark in your memories? We don't have any set plans except for a reservation at Bistro 64. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Old 08-25-2024, 09:57 PM

Bike shop: Lazzaretti
https://www.ciclilazzaretti.it

A restaurant recommendation that our hotel reserved for us on the last night we were there, which was excellent:
Hosteria de Pietro
https://hostariadapietro.it
Old 08-25-2024, 10:23 PM
n - 1

We really enjoyed Sola Lella. I remember we had to reserve days in advance.
Old 08-25-2024, 10:28 PM

We just finished dinner and I am already hungry!
Old 08-25-2024, 11:10 PM

The Chapel of the Capuchin is on Via Vittorio Veneto, a few blocks from the U.S. Embassy and a block from Piazza di Barberini. Across the street are a few good restaurants, I like Ciao Bella. The best part is the museum of the Capuchin, the stuff of nightmares. It's amazing what you can make out of human bones.
Old 08-26-2024, 07:51 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
The Chapel of the Capuchin is on Via Vittorio Veneto, a few blocks from the U.S. Embassy and a block from Piazza di Barberini. Across the street are a few good restaurants, I like Ciao Bella. The best part is the museum of the Capuchin, the stuff of nightmares. It's amazing what you can make out of human bones.
Ha, yeah, those Capuchins have a morbid sense of humor, for sure. So do I.

Vatican (for the Bernini) and the Vatican art museum, with the Sistine chapel at the end (hey, it's where the make Popes), spend a little money for a guided tour of the Coliseum, the Borghese gallery, just for the Bernini masterpiece The Rape of Proserpina, the most amazing marble sculpture you will ever see, and the Capitoline Museums, where you should try to find the bar on top with a terrace that gives you a great view of the city.

It's a funky, sprawling town, quite wacky at times. Be careful.
Old 08-26-2024, 07:54 AM

I had one of the best meals I've ever had at Roscioli Salumeria. You'll need a reservation. Roscioli has a couple of restaurants, and a cafe/bakery, but Salumeria had a nice informal vibe.
Old 08-26-2024, 09:17 AM

The beauty of Rome (and Italy, in general) is that you do not have to go to expensive or fancy places to eat well. Walk until you're hungry, look around, pick one. You'll be happy.

I found Rome safe and walkable during the day, but around the tourist areas, everything you've heard is true. Be very careful on the subway. Watch for women carrying babies and crowds of kids. They are not subtle about trying to steal your stuff.
Old 08-26-2024, 09:27 AM

Honestly, I spent a week in just Rome and I think you just need to go walk around everywhere and eat light meals around where you find yourself. It's such a wonderful time.

I took a train to frascati to take a pasta making class, which was super fun as well. I highly recommend doing something like that if you can swing it for an afternoon.

I think I walked like 8 miles everyday. It was awesome.
Old 08-26-2024, 09:35 AM
n - 1

Man, that capuchin museum was creepy. I don’t ever care to go again. Just the smell made me gag.

I miss the gelato shops on every corner. Well justified with all the walking we did, as mentioned above. It didn’t feel like it, since there were so many things to see.
Old 08-26-2024, 09:38 AM
I need you cool.

We will be in Rome a week from today.....dinner reservations are at:

Alto
Ristorante Clotilde
Life Ristorante

Recommended by travel agent and hotel concierge (Palazzo Ripetta), with requests for good selection of seafood options.

I will update with reviews when we return....
Old 08-26-2024, 03:47 PM

Pizza

Pizzarium Boncii

World famous pizza a taglio. There’s a Netflix show about him. One of the chefs table specials.

Jon
Old 08-26-2024, 04:31 PM
#RYFB

My knowledge of Rome is woefully out of date, spent two summers there in '69 and '72, so take this with a grain of salt.

The advice above about going on walkabout is spot on, there is so much to see; also agree about the difficulty in finding a bad meal.

I'll also second the recommendation of the Borghese, in addition to the Rape of Proserpina the Bernini of Apollo & Daphne is amazing.

Because we lived right across the river, I spent a lot of time walking in Trastevere. There is a tiny church there that has another Bernini, The Ecstasy of Saint Teresa -- jaw dropping. One of the best things I ever ate was a porchetta sandwich from a stand off Viale Trastevere, they were all over the place but I think it was only during a particular festival.

Edit: either my memory is faulty or it moved, The Ecstasy of Saint Teresa is in the Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria, near Piazza della Repubblica.

I'd also trek over to San Pietro in Vincoli to see Michelangelo's Moses and visit Campo di Fiori.

I envy you.

Last edited by cgolvin; 08-26-2024 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2024, 04:37 PM

My wife and I will be in Rome for a few days ahead of Eroica. She's pescatarian, but quite gluten-intolerant. Can anyone recommend any restaurants catering to a gluten-free palate?
Old 08-26-2024, 05:25 PM

Last Summer we stayed in the Via Giulia neighborhood. Beautiful cobble stone streets tucked away along the Tiber river. A short walk to one of our favorites was Osteria da fortunata, had some of the best pasta hand rolled made right in front of us by Nonna! Another great area to check out is the Trastevere. A ton of small osteria's and some great grab and go from Trapizzino. Your head will spin with all the choices you will have. And remember order the house wine!!