Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2024, 03:14 PM

2004 Lemond Zurich/splined bikes

I'm looking at a Lemond Zurich for sale locally, one of the True Temper/carbon 'hybrids'. Anyone with experience with this or a very similar model have feedback about the ride quality? What about the max tire size front and rear? I'm guessing the Race wheelset ran on pawls and the Race Lite is when it's bumped up to the DT Star ratchet, and anyways I'd expect a twenty year old Bontrager paired spoke wheelset to fail sooner rather than later
Always wanted to try one of these bikes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2024-08-23 at 4.12.11 PM.jpg (123.2 KB, 382 views)
Old 08-23-2024, 03:27 PM

I can't speak to the rear triangle clearance, but on my similar forks from the era, a "true 28" is a very tight fit and not really safe. Which is to say, a tire measured with calipers to be 28mm across has ~1mm clearance to the sides and 1-2mm clearance to the top (the brake arms). My impression is that they're really designed for 25's.

On the other hand, I'm still running one of those rear wheels in regular use as a trainer wheel, take it out on the road every once in a while, and it seems invulnerable. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 08-23-2024, 03:31 PM

I have a steel Lemond from that era, and it looks like the same fork. Mine takes true 28s on narrow rims just fine. Clearance is tight but it doesn't seem unsafe to me at all. But I don't really ride the bike very hard, it's my "party pace" road bike, so maybe it would be different if I were riding it at full gas.

Mine came with the same wheelset, but I donated them to the local bike co-op.
Old 08-23-2024, 03:46 PM

Those wheels are probably safer than the steerer stack setup.....

Nice bike. Should be a deal, too.
Old 08-23-2024, 04:56 PM

Here's a post I did about mine. You might find some useful info in there. I liked the bike just fine.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=232027
Old 08-23-2024, 04:57 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I can't speak to the rear triangle clearance, but on my similar forks from the era, a "true 28" is a very tight fit and not really safe. Which is to say, a tire measured with calipers to be 28mm across has ~1mm clearance to the sides and 1-2mm clearance to the top (the brake arms). My impression is that they're really designed for 25's.
having had the bike pictured, I would agree with this.. can't remember if the rear had any extra room, but, if it did, it wasn't much..

I think these are fantastic bikes as long as the geo is good for you!
Old 08-23-2024, 06:59 PM

I've had two of these (same model, blue + carbon Zurich) and have regretted selling it both times. 25s are about all that will fit. Definitely check the carbon, too. I've seen some listed where the lamination is deteriorating.

I hope that some day I'm going to find one of the carbon/ti ones in my size.
Old 08-23-2024, 08:57 PM

As mentioned, I would be more worried about that stem/steerer tube setup than tire width.
Old 08-23-2024, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbos View Post
I'm looking at a Lemond Zurich for sale locally, one of the True Temper/carbon 'hybrids'. Anyone with experience with this or a very similar model have feedback about the ride quality? [...]
Always wanted to try one of these bikes!
If it's local, can't you test ride it for your ride quality question, provided you can update the front end to a safe configuration to do so?
Old 08-24-2024, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateveronfire View Post
I hope that some day I'm going to find one of the carbon/ti ones in my size.
I'm definitely still enjoying the all-Ti "Victoire" that I have.
Old 08-25-2024, 07:23 PM

It's tough, i'd love to have tried this, but after taking out my Marinoni running on 32mm rubber, I thought, never again will I ride less than 28mm tires. Roads are just simply too crappy round these parts, plus with my aging body...
Old 08-25-2024, 10:15 PM

28s

I have this exact frame. 28s in the rear with wide rim, don’t think any more than that. With enve fork I can get 30s in the front. In terms of comfort, you cannot beat the ride quality on this one. Comfortable, yet snappy and well, super unique ride. I had another version of this bike and sold it before realizing that a stupid mistake! So I bought another
Old 08-28-2024, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta_hat View Post
I have this exact frame. 28s in the rear with wide rim, don’t think any more than that. With enve fork I can get 30s in the front. In terms of comfort, you cannot beat the ride quality on this one. Comfortable, yet snappy and well, super unique ride. I had another version of this bike and sold it before realizing that a stupid mistake! So I bought another
Oh dear. This opens up possibilities... So tempting. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-28-2024, 08:47 PM

I never owned one but sold those and rode them a bit. I can't recall one model really riding much differently than any of the others.

Super fun bikes to ride.
Old 08-28-2024, 08:52 PM

Had that exact bike - minus the sketchy steerer situation though. It rode really nicely. Smooth and comfortable. An easy bike to put lots of miles on. I would have kept it but I was getting into racing and wanted something a little more aggressive and snappy. Sold it and a guitar that I really regret letting go of to get a six13.