Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srice
Believe me, I have no desire to ever see this guy again except for in a court. Vigilante has nothing to do with why I would like to know who it is. I want to dig up any information I can so that I can be as informed as possible when I speak to the authorities.
Srice,

What happened to you was bad, I am NOT going to argue with that. Let the police do there job and find the guy. It shouldn't be too hard for them to do since you have already done your job and got the plate number. What difference does it make if you know the guy when you talk to the police. Tell the events as they unfolded to the best of your knowledge. So what if he didn't graduate from high school.

Satellite

Last edited by Satellite; 07-18-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite
Srice,

What happened to you was bad, I am NOT going to argue with that. Let the police do there job and find the guy. It shouldn't be too hard for them to do since you have already done your job and got the plate number. What difference does it make if you know the guy when you talk to the police. Tell the events as they unfolded to the best of your knowledge. So what if he didn't graduate from high school.

Satellite

I already know where the guy lives - I have no intention of going anywhere near there. The cops told me his address last evening when I was speaking to them on the side of the road. What I am interested in is prior felonies. Based on the conversation with the police last night, I have little confidence that they will pursue this issue unless I push. In order to push, I want to be as informed as possible. Just like any other issue, I prefer to stack the deck in my favor with knowledge. That is all I am looking for.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
The cops told me his address last evening when I was speaking to them on the side of the road.
Sounds like they want you to be the vigilante.

Hope you can get them to do the right thing.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
I already know where the guy lives - I have no intention of going anywhere near there. The cops told me his address last evening when I was speaking to them on the side of the road. What I am interested in is prior felonies. Based on the conversation with the police last night, I have little confidence that they will pursue this issue unless I push. In order to push, I want to be as informed as possible. Just like any other issue, I prefer to stack the deck in my favor with knowledge. That is all I am looking for.
Srice,

So if he has a felony does that make this any better or worse? If you already have his address it should make finding out his name easy. Then how are you going to go about find out if he has a felony. Let the police do there job keep on the police. Leave this guy alone, you will have your day in court.

Satellite

Last edited by Satellite; 07-18-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I already know where the guy lives
If you know the address, then you can find his name from that. The county assessor likely has a public page that shows the property and the owner's name. Dig a little, you can find it all on your puter.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:37 PM

If this incident gets to the DA, they will pull up his criminal history...
Old 07-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Byron

I suspect the guy has enough in his history to make this offense hurt. I went through the process of pushing the police and prosecutors to remedy a less serious cycling case. I was reluctant to speak up in court. I thought the judge would see the facts the way I did. He did not come down on the guy as hard as I wanted, and I regret not making a statement when I was provided the opportunity. I totally understand not wanting any contact with the guy that threatened you. I had some bad dreams after my incident, and was freaked out by red pickups and shaved heads for a few weeks after.

Keep giving the investigators and prosecutors encouragement. It worked for me.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:38 PM
pbjbike

Quote:
Srice,

So if he has a felony does that make this any better or worse? If you already have his address it should make finding out his name easy. Then how are you going to go about find out if he has a felony. Let the police do there job keep on the police. Leave this guy alone, you will have your day in court.

Satellite
Exactly. Rest assured he's been freaking out all weekend about you taking a picture of his plate.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:39 PM
slow, but working on it.

oh man I'm glad you are ok. that's terrible.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEABREEZE
If this incident gets to the DA, they will pull up his criminal history...
Very true, but informing the police that you've done your due diligence and show them that he has priors will go a long way in your case. My wife is a private investigator; let me get her take on this and see what advice she offers, if you're interested.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonaut
Very true, but informing the police that you've done your due diligence and show them that he has priors will go a long way in your case. My wife is a private investigator; let me get her take on this and see what advice she offers, if you're interested.
Cosmonaut,

Srice did his due diligence when he managed to save his life and the rest of his party. It was a huge bonus he got the plate number recorded on his phone.

There are two sides to every story; what if this guy makes up that Srice is stocking him or something. Then jury is sympathetic to this person and lets him go. You don't believe me Jury Nullification happens across the country every day. It is just plain stupid for him to go down this path. He needs to let the police do their job.

If he wants to push someone, push the police. Beside when the police pull up peoples DMV records they already know your priors. From an outsider looking in Srice needs to go on with his life and let the police handle the investigation.

If Srice feels compelled to do something, he needs to get media exposure for some bicycle awareness. Tell your story call the papers or go thru your local bicycle club. Hunting the person down and identifying him will do nothing for you at this point. You will have your day in court.

I know it must seem like I am against Srice but quite the contrary. I have had similar things happen to me while riding. I have wanted to hunt the guy down a punch him in the face. Seriously let the police handle this, take solace in the fact you get to go home to your family. You are very lucky this could have ended much differently.

Satellite
Old 07-19-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Cosmonaut,
<snip>
Hunting the person down and identifying him will do nothing for you at this point. You will have your day in court.
<snip>

Satellite
Believe me when I say that I have no desire to "hunt" this person down. I already know where he lives, what he looks like, what kind of car he drives and what kind of woman hangs out with him. If I wanted to "hunt him down", all I would have to do is hang out in a certain area and I would find him. I want to have as much information about him when I talk to the authorities. I have little to no confidence that anybody is as motivated as me to see this guy prosecuted. All I want is information. Perhaps I am being paranoid, but I believe the cops aren't going to push unless I push them. I was told that I would receive a call letting me know what happened - but that has yet to occur. I will start with the Bourbon County Sheriff in about 30 minutes. (Gotta to let them have their coffee and donuts - that does sound good right now)

Satellite, you are correct in that I did my due diligence in getting myself and the person riding with me out of harm's way. I was fortunate to capture the photo of the car. I wish I had a photo of the guy with the gun - but that would have been idiotic to attempt to get that picture. My first priority was to not get shot. I succeeded with that and now my next priority is to do everything I can to ensure prosecution.

I'll post more later with the results of round 1 with the Bourbon County Sheriff's office.

Steve
Old 07-19-2010, 08:58 AM

"He ended up stopping to yell at me at which point he pulled a gun and pointed it straight at me(I think a 9mm Glock)."

As someone else mentioned, this should be mentioned to authorites, if the weapon is registered to him, how would you know this.

If the gun was not registered, your back to he said , she said, unfortunately

You accuse, he denies.

From your second post you mentioned, you have another passenger that also witnessed everything, this may work in your favor in convincing authorities of your alligations... They will look into witnesses backround, to see if they are creditable.

Best of luck to you.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:25 AM

What an awful event. I am also glad you are OK.

I am also glad you involved the police as much as you can!
Plus we now have the serotta detectives on the case as well.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:41 AM

Latest update..... 2 calls to the Sheriff's department and they say, "We don't have any paperwork yet." Please try calling back tomorrow evening. Like I have said, I don't have a lot of faith in the police following through unless I push.

Steve