Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 07-25-2021, 10:55 PM

bruising on bottom only after long rides...

have a problem that occurs when I go over 10 hours saddle time that I'd like to fix before trying longer rides like 300k and up.

basically the discomfort from sitting gets bad and after 10 hour rides, dark bruises appear on the butt cheeks where sit bones must be contacting saddle. After a few days I can sit on saddle again NP

I feel great on shorter rides
I have no issues like numbness in crotch or hands
my neck and arms and back are relaxed and i finish 200 km distances feeling good except for the sit bone bruising.

Any advice? I tend to feel fine on a variety of seats at lower distances. Bruises happening on berthoud and fizik.. haven't tried gel

fwiw Im about 160lb riding 700x32mm pumped to 50ish psi

Last edited by timto; 07-25-2021 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:19 PM

Try standing up more frequently on your rides. Don't wait for pain to begin. Stand up for a few strokes every 15 minutes or so.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:48 PM

Brooks and Berthoud leather saddles are popular with long distance riders. I never found a plastic saddle that would not give me the problem you describe.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:28 AM

How old are you? I sometimes get this or something similar-right on the sit bones-and think age may be a factor. As we get older we loose some cushion down there, and I did not experience this until my mid fifties. So takes a little longer to HTFU each year. Saddle selection also more important-saddles that seem supremely comfortable for 100 miles can become torture after 200 miles.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:11 PM

It's also possible you have the wrong saddle width. I used to have issues and then went from saddles in the 130's to a 150 mm saddle and those issues disappeared. Felt fine on shorter rides, but on longer ones it would start.

Also, shape of the saddle can have a lot to do with it, more important is the overall bike fit and being balanced correctly. FWIW, I ride an all carbon saddle (berk) - no padding. The width fixed most of my problems and then getting my fit dialed in took care of the rest. It was a long, LONG road to get there.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:34 PM

appreciate the responses, thank you! I am 46 and will definitely try standing more but also try a wider saddle.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:36 PM

Standing before you are sore is a bit like drinking before you are thirsty. Both are good ideas.