Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 09-23-2015, 07:55 AM
oldpotatoe's Avatar
oldpotatoe oldpotatoe is online now
Proud Grandpa
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 42,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_version View Post
I would consider myself a decent wheel builder and I think I will be handling the work. Any thoughts on specific tensions, I have access to a park and wheelsmith tensiometers.

Also I read elsewhere on this forum that although an 11s cassette may fit, one may not be able to use the gear closest to the spokes as the derailleur my make contact.

Much appreciated.
Next gen. of these wheels, 'HPW', straight pull spokes, had the FH body deeper into the hub shell which interfered with 11s. Yours are fine.

For tension, I'd say in the 120kgf range, drive side rear and front. When these first came out Campagnolo offered a bonus to pros who won stages using them. Early 90s. Coincided with the EPO era...lots of Geweiss Ballan guys used them, Berzin.
__________________
Chisholm's Custom Wheels
Qui Si Parla Campagnolo
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-23-2015, 08:16 AM
oldpotatoe's Avatar
oldpotatoe oldpotatoe is online now
Proud Grandpa
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Republic of Boulder, USA
Posts: 42,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_version View Post
I would consider myself a decent wheel builder and I think I will be handling the work. Any thoughts on specific tensions, I have access to a park and wheelsmith tensiometers.

Also I read elsewhere on this forum that although an 11s cassette may fit, one may not be able to use the gear closest to the spokes as the derailleur my make contact.

Much appreciated.
Next gen. Shamals, HPW, straight pull spokes, had an issue with 11s since the FH body was set further into the hub body. Yours are fine.

As for tension, about 120kgf for drive side rear and front. When these first came out, early 90s, Campagnolo paid a bonus to pros who won stages with them. Berzin, as an example. Also on titanium DeRosas.

Oooops dup-age....phone-ism.
__________________
Chisholm's Custom Wheels
Qui Si Parla Campagnolo

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-23-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-23-2015, 10:37 AM
jmoore's Avatar
jmoore jmoore is offline
bourbon!
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_version View Post
Thanks for your input. In the interest of being specific, your frame is almost like the one pictured above but instead of the dark charcoal base of the FNG scheme, it is dark green, it also does not have the og fork or chromed head lugs.

None of these things prevented me from purchasing your frame as I was about to, the one thing that did was its size. Just a cm too big. You were very helpful and patient with me though, and I hope to be sending a saddle your way someday soon.
You are correct on the ht lugs and fork. But that pic looks dark green to me.

Either way, your bike is going to be fantastic when it's finished.


No problem on not buying the frame. Someone will want it eventually. And if they don't my 10yo son will have a really nice bike once he's tall enough.

And I'm always ready for another saddle when you are.
__________________
Cuero - Fine leather cycling gloves - GET SOME
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-23-2015, 03:16 PM
mattsbeers's Avatar
mattsbeers mattsbeers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,006
I had some Vento's (again same rim but more spokes) the eyelts looked horrible and they so heavy. They look awesome but I had a couple rear spokes break (at the head) and dumped them. They look great and are sooooo cool but I would say in 2015 those could be your wall hanger/display wheels? And get some more up to date daily wheels.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-23-2015, 03:27 PM
christian's Avatar
christian christian is offline
Epic=No Smiles
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,997
FNG is charcoal with teal and pink chevrons. I sold a nice 57 in that scheme last year.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ght=merckx+fng

Last edited by christian; 09-23-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Not last year. January 2013. Life moves pretty fast.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-23-2015, 09:37 PM
in_version in_version is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsbeers View Post
I had some Vento's (again same rim but more spokes) the eyelts looked horrible and they so heavy. They look awesome but I had a couple rear spokes break (at the head) and dumped them. They look great and are sooooo cool but I would say in 2015 those could be your wall hanger/display wheels? And get some more up to date daily wheels.
During any year I don't believe in "wall hanger display" wheels or bikes unless it was ridden by Major Taylor.

You have any up to date wheels to sell me?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-23-2015, 09:40 PM
in_version in_version is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Next gen. of these wheels, 'HPW', straight pull spokes, had the FH body deeper into the hub shell which interfered with 11s. Yours are fine.

For tension, I'd say in the 120kgf range, drive side rear and front. When these first came out Campagnolo offered a bonus to pros who won stages using them. Early 90s. Coincided with the EPO era...lots of Geweiss Ballan guys used them, Berzin.
As always glad to here some of your knowledge. And thanks for the tension tip. I'll update when I get em cleaned up and running.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
campagnolo, campy, merckx, shamal

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.